PDA

View Full Version : A gamers timer?

Free Styler
03-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Ok well here is a question or a suggestion.

Many gamers have to be spot on timing when it comes to getting the armor on time.

I remember when i use to play on a regular basis at sam in the old days i had the armor and power ups timed in my head.

These days when i play utk4 a problem i have is timing the armor througout the match.I dont play it enough to get it right all the time.

Now here is my question is there a program out there that allows you to put let's say 50 second spawnage time to a armor but a bozzer kinda sound at 40 second.Or better a kinda announcer voice saying ARMOR TIME.Anyways some may say that this would be a unfair advantage but i say it`s fair for people who cant play 6 hours a day.

Some people say that thers a lot more to winning a match then having armor.
Tho this is true.Some people say that aim and armor ownage is still not enough to win against the ''best''.

Well there i disagree if your landing heads shots and got full energy what's the other guy going to do.

Fool you in to dancing.Well anyways to come back on the subject those this exist.Or do you know any programs ment for this

Die Hard
03-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Got an egg timer? :P

Free Styler
03-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Got an egg timer? :P

LOL no but seriously even a watch would be ok i guess but imagine pressing on a button each time you grab a item.I mean i talking sofware related no hassle.

Free Styler
03-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Well i found one it's called cool timer.You can put wave or mp3 files in it for sound notifacation.Problem solved.

Pure_Evil
03-29-2005, 02:56 PM
:hmmm: used to know of one, but it's gone now :(

with UT, there's a clock running constantly that you can go off of once you either take the pup, or hear it taken. I honestly haven't heard any clan mention one since UT 99 came out.

players like Arwen and WH are just good at going off of that.

Personally, I lose track of it during combat though :banghead:

Warhead
03-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Timing is made easy by the in-game clock, if you just take the time (no pun intended) to learn the spawn times for the powerups. I personally think using external timers is lame - but what can I do to stop it. gg

OUTLAWS 9.99repeating^32
03-29-2005, 03:32 PM
There are plenty of egg timer programs that will suit your needs for any game. I've found that Unreal has a relatively difficult timing system - I wish the 100 armor would spawn every minute on the minute (such as 5:00, then 4:00, etc.). Unfortunately that is not the case (I've heard that the armors used to be on 60 and 30 second timers for the 100 and 50 respectively, however that was dropped because the actual speed of the game was increased by 10%).

The way I remember to get the 100 armor in Unreal is the following. First, I listen for the 100 armor sound being picked up, if I'm not the one picking it up. Then, I look at the time in seconds on the clock and add 5 seconds to this number. For example, if the time when the 100 armor was picked up was 8:40, I would think "45" to myself. I keep repeating this number in my head for a few seconds until I remember it. So I think "45, 45, 45, 45, 45". Then every once in a while in game when there is no action, I will periodically take a look at the time and see if I need to get over to where the 100 armor is.

In this way, I'm always able to have a fighting chance for the 100 armor because I know exactly when it will spawn. By adding 5 seconds to the time when it is taken, I ensure that I will be there the next time it spawns, which is in 55 seconds.

But although this works for me, it may not work for you. A similar method can be used for the Double Damage, as well (except you would add 10 seconds when you hear the DD run out). If you haven't tried the method I described above, I recommend trying it out before you go to external egg timing programs. If you have, well, then go with a timer if you feel you really need to. Whatever makes you happy, I always say.

Die Hard
03-29-2005, 03:48 PM
It sounds like you need 9's sat behind you while you play FS :D

Free Styler
03-30-2005, 01:39 AM
Well to be honest no i've never even put the in game timer on the screen.

Tho i will say i had had the idea of doing it in sam but never bothered cause i prefered learning it from scratch.By heart in my head wich i did.

the method i will use will be yours 9sΘ╫

It's more fair that way.Tho i think i having a external egg timer just makes you calculate less mentaly but since im good in mathematics who cares i calculate and do your method. thanks btw..

One thing i've come to realize from playing utk4.Is being aggresive is not that good.

Going slow with the aim is the way to go.I've played with a 1 sensitivity tho my aim was a lot better (with cross btw):) damn i felt like a handicap freak when seomeone was behind me.

Anyways my style of play can fluctuate so dramatacly in this game it's incredible.It very bad or very good rarely the middle.

ME BIGGD01
03-30-2005, 01:54 AM
i would of said cake timer but i guess an egg timer is the same thing. i still think the idea is hard because what if you don't hear the health or armor being taken? wouldnt that throw the timing off?

Free Styler
03-30-2005, 03:44 AM
i would of said cake timer but i guess an egg timer is the same thing. i still think the idea is hard because what if you don't hear the health or armor being taken? wouldnt that throw the timing off?

This was assuming you took them all in time or seomeone took it in your place killing you at the same time you would of.But still got point.

Anyways imho some people probably use this for gaming but never mention it because it is seen has being rubbishplay.

Thing is for people who average 1 hour or 2 of game play a week.A timer seemed not much of a difference.

But for those playing a lot i must admit it must seem cheap.And funny thing is i would agree it is cheap.

Anyways.↔╚╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤╤═════════════█████ ██████

ME BIGGD01
03-30-2005, 05:16 AM
what would be better is to use the timer against people using the timer:) .

say the pups or what ever comes every 30 seconds. the people who use their timer for this will set the time for 30 seconds and then go to the place to get them goods. the real smart guy would set his timer for 25 seconds and then pop the guy who is going for the goods:D now that would be great:thumbs:

OUTLAWS Tip
03-30-2005, 05:45 AM

say the pups or what ever comes every 30 seconds. the people who use their timer for this will set the time for 30 seconds and then go to the place to get them goods. the real smart guy would set his timer for 25 seconds and then pop the guy who is going for the goods:D now that would be great:thumbs:

Now that works for me. LOL
:thumbs: :D

Die Hard
03-30-2005, 08:04 AM
i would of said cake timer but i guess an egg timer is the same thing.
Oh BIGG, the vision of you in your pinney, baking cakes; just gave me a fit of the giggles :rofl:

OUTLAWS 9.99repeating^32
03-30-2005, 12:17 PM
i still think the idea is hard because what if you don't hear the health or armor being taken? wouldnt that throw the timing off?

Yes, if you do not hear the armor being picked up, you will have a much more difficult time knowing when it will spawn again. However, that shouldn't really be a problem because the 100 armor spawns 27 seconds into the game every time. It's all about setting priorities.

VexedandGlorious, one of the best 1v1 players, once told me that he doesn't worry about getting frags in a 1v1 or TDM match. What he meant was, he worries about getting the 100 armor and 50 armor, and making sure he grabs as many weapons as he can along the way to deny his opponent weapons (assuming weapon stay is off). What he does is (and what I have since learned from him, and have greatly improved because of it), he moves around in patterns around the map, picking up all of the armor and weapons. He doesn't worry about chasing after and engaging his enemy because he knows that eventually they will bump into each other along his pre-determined path. In other words, he doesn't actively seek out his enemy, he prioritizes armor and weapons instead. Vexed also told me that the majority of top level players do the same thing, with few exceptions (such as +Lotus).

That mentality (prioritizing armor and weapons over the enemy) is difficult to learn, especially for a former Sam player. In Sam, my strategy was simply to grab the shotgun and go after the other players. If I were to try that in Unreal, I would get pretty discouraged very quickly. So I agree with you 100% FS - playing aggresively is not the way to go.

I've said more than I thought I was going to but I hope I shed some light on a different way to play Unreal than some people have thought of before. Just one more thing as far as being really "on" or really "off" with regards to aim. One thing that has really helped me out that I started practicing a few months ago is taking frequent breaks from the action. In Unreal, I've noticed that I have to keep my eyes on the screen for pretty much the entire match. What I like to do is, between matches, I like to focus on a distance object. This object can be something outside of my window or something down the hallway, as long as it is a relatively far distance away. That allows my eye muscles to relax and elongate, and it really helps to alleviate some of the eye strain that builds up when I play. If you build up some eye strain from continuous play, than I recommend you try taking frequent breaks from the action to help you play consistantly at your best.

Free Styler
03-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Yes, if you do not hear the armor being picked up, you will have a much more difficult time knowing when it will spawn again. However, that shouldn't really be a problem because the 100 armor spawns 27 seconds into the game every time. It's all about setting priorities.

VexedandGlorious, one of the best 1v1 players, once told me that he doesn't worry about getting frags in a 1v1 or TDM match. What he meant was, he worries about getting the 100 armor and 50 armor, and making sure he grabs as many weapons as he can along the way to deny his opponent weapons (assuming weapon stay is off). What he does is (and what I have since learned from him, and have greatly improved because of it), he moves around in patterns around the map, picking up all of the armor and weapons. He doesn't worry about chasing after and engaging his enemy because he knows that eventually they will bump into each other along his pre-determined path. In other words, he doesn't actively seek out his enemy, he prioritizes armor and weapons instead. Vexed also told me that the majority of top level players do the same thing, with few exceptions (such as +Lotus).

That mentality (prioritizing armor and weapons over the enemy) is difficult to learn, especially for a former Sam player. In Sam, my strategy was simply to grab the shotgun and go after the other players. If I were to try that in Unreal, I would get pretty discouraged very quickly. So I agree with you 100% FS - playing aggresively is not the way to go.

I've said more than I thought I was going to but I hope I shed some light on a different way to play Unreal than some people have thought of before. Just one more thing as far as being really "on" or really "off" with regards to aim. One thing that has really helped me out that I started practicing a few months ago is taking frequent breaks from the action. In Unreal, I've noticed that I have to keep my eyes on the screen for pretty much the entire match. What I like to do is, between matches, I like to focus on a distance object. This object can be something outside of my window or something down the hallway, as long as it is a relatively far distance away. That allows my eye muscles to relax and elongate, and it really helps to alleviate some of the eye strain that builds up when I play. If you build up some eye strain from continuous play, than I recommend you try taking frequent breaks from the action to help you play consistantly at your best.

LOL well about looking at a distance object in a window i never went to that extreme.

Tho im not proud to say what i about to say.When i use to game a lot i would have a bottle of windex next to my puter and would wash my screen every now and then for better vision.Complete waste of time.lol

My screen has had to much sun since the last year and its now pale.

Bigg about the timer set at 30seconds and the spawnage time of the armor set at 35 that is what i was impliying.The notifacation buzzer would be 5 or 10 seconds before the actual spaw time.Then the timer clock would start back at the excat time.

And about map ownage taking armor and 50 armor and weapons yes that is what makes the difference.

But in sam taking a shot gun against normal players does the job.But the same tactics apply when playing dangerous dan or merk or other top players.

if they have the armor then it`s good luck with one frag.

In yodeller the entire lenght of a match was all about taking the shot guns armor lazer and sniping the guy who went to get the mignium.

That why im so efficient in that level.Tho im efficient in other levels aswell.

If the guy your playing against is real good well that's the way to go.. map ownage.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
03-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks Mr. 9's, and Mr. Free Styler. I enjoy your posts. <(non-sarcastic comment)

Warhead
03-30-2005, 02:28 PM

Or, if you can pull it off and want to make a statement, let your enemy get the powerups, and beat him flawless victory anyways. :D

Caged Anger
03-30-2005, 07:41 PM
:hmmm: used to know of one, but it's gone now :(

with UT, there's a clock running constantly that you can go off of once you either take the pup, or hear it taken. I honestly haven't heard any clan mention one since UT 99 came out.

players like Arwen and WH are just good at going off of that.

Personally, I lose track of it during combat though :banghead:

Off topic, i know, but was there an Unreal Tournament 1999? at least, thats the impression I got from UT 99. I always thought it started with 2003...

Alexis SC430
03-30-2005, 11:41 PM
How about a timer we can use to see how many irretrievable hours of our lives are wasted here making stupid posts about total BS? :D

SHOTGUNmaniac
03-31-2005, 12:38 AM
you just made 1.......lol