PDA

View Full Version : Problem

He Is Legend
04-05-2005, 04:27 AM
Hey guys

one of my friends is having a problem with her e-machine..its a very good one if you want to know

anyway, when shes trying to reformatt, a error comes up at about 25% saying "Error cannot open Ghosterr.txt"

and it wont let her do anything but let her click ok

and she clicks ok and it says "Cannot read file..if this file persists...blah blah"

anyone know?

JIMINATOR
04-05-2005, 04:51 AM
googling the error

Re Restoring Windows XP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please excuse me for bumping up this topic, but perhaps the answer I found to this one may help others who are encountering this problem.

I tore my hair out for days trying to sort this one out, even spending $45 on the recommendation of my PC's manufacturer and buying another restore disc for my brand of PC because they insisted that my restore disc was faulty and not allowing the "usage error 11030" fault to be over ridden by the restore disc.

My brother, who knows a bit about PC's, took my box apart and found that the cable to the hard drive was loose, clicked it back in and bingo, problem fixed!

Don't know if this helps anyone else, but perhaps a faulty cable may be the answer if everything else does not restore.

BTW, i found this site was by entering "usage error 11030" into google and away i went. Again, hope this helps someone.

or just taking a wild guess, maybe emachines used norton ghost to back up the drive image. if it is hosed, a xp install may be required, or if it is still under warranty, time to get on hold...

ME BIGGD01
04-05-2005, 05:20 AM
sounds to me that the drive (hidden partition with image) that the cd is looking for may be corrupt or maybe the drive is failing. if the product does have warrant, better call them before you void it. e-machines is now gateway so you can check out there site for the info. nothing more can be done unless you do as jim sugested but may not be as easy for some.

He Is Legend
04-12-2005, 05:45 AM
they had to buy a new disc

and when they did that didnt work

so they tried using the old disc once again

and it finally worked

computers are a strange being.