PDA

View Full Version : New Pope elected

TheMaster
04-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Well only two days into the conclave and already the cardinals have chosen a Pope--- Joseph Ratzinger from Germany. He has chosen the name Benedict XVI. I'm no Catholic, but I must say I am glad to see a new pontiff chosen, and so quickly too.

Mad Fox
04-19-2005, 09:37 PM
I think he is a little to conservative.

Nitro
04-19-2005, 10:25 PM
i think he'll die soon

BobtheCkroach
04-19-2005, 10:31 PM
i think he'll die soon

Do you ever have anything positive to contribute?

I agree w/ TheMaster - I may not be Catholic, but I was happy to hear there's a new Pope in place. Even if I'm not Catholic - heck, even if I wasn't a Christian - the Pope is always in a position to make a positive influence in this world, and all I can say is that he's got some big shoes to fill - he's replacing an amazing man. I'm glad to see that the church one again has a leader to carry this out.

FUS1ON
04-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Nitro why would you say something like that? And define soon for us.

Caged Anger
04-19-2005, 10:43 PM
hmm, I have mixed emotions about this. Happy to see a Pope chosen but at the same time uncertain. I would have liked it better had they taken a few more days to debate it. Not that I have anything in the way of prejudice against him or anything, I just don't like to see a position filled that fast that is that important.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
04-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Don't think for a second the the last pope choose this one way in advance of his death.

TheMaster
04-20-2005, 12:24 AM
That was a very positive message Bob. I'm still Christain, and I believe that the Pope has the opportunity to bring a lot of good to all corners of the world. This new pontiff may be a bit too conservative, but I hope that he will carry on the good work we saw from John Paul II.

Believe me Caged, I'm as surprised as you are that they've chosen Pope Benedict XVI as quickly as they did. I expected this conclave to last for days, or even weeks. But the process is over now, and we'll see what is to come in this Papacy.

FUS1ON
04-20-2005, 12:56 AM
To me and I might be wrong but as fast as they chose him, says that they pretty much all thought he was the right choice.

::: DARK PSI :::
04-20-2005, 04:10 AM
Is it me, or does the new pope look evil as hell. The devil perhaps in white?

Yikes.. wouldn't want to cross this guy. I have also read he was part of the Nazi youth movement (though by force) in the 40s.

TheMaster
04-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Yes Psi, but he was drafted into the German military. And he defected from the Nazis in 1945. It was shortly after that he was captured by American forces and taken as a POW.

Caged Anger
04-20-2005, 12:29 PM
One must also remember that at the time, you either joined them or were shot. It is understandable the road he chose and honorable that he was brave enough to defect.

Die Hard
04-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Hmm, they called this guy The Enforcer because he has very strong beliefs in matters like abortion and birth control. (or the lack of it) He was also the last Pope's right hand man for many years so the quick vote is not surprising.

I'm not sure what he can do that will be positive for me? But hey, if it's your thing then good luck...

Assassin
04-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Yeah Good Luck :)

Nitro
04-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Nitro why would you say something like that? And define soon for us.
He's 78, so he's obviously not going ot be Pope for long. I mean why choose one of the oildest, if not the oldest cardinal? Smeels fishy to me that he was made Pope on Hitler's birthday too =/

Warhead
04-20-2005, 04:35 PM
sigh...

Some people will find the negative in any situation. To each their own.

Ra\/en
04-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Indeed. he didnt get elected pope for no reason. He must be a good guy.

why would you waste your time thinking up wild theories?

BobtheCkroach
04-20-2005, 05:13 PM
He's 78, so he's obviously not going ot be Pope for long. I mean why choose one of the oildest, if not the oldest cardinal? Smeels fishy to me that he was made Pope on Hitler's birthday too =/

First of all, what a stupid comment to make, regarding Hitler's birthday. Yep, I'm sure that's what a conclave of Cardinals were thinking..."Yes, let's get this decision finished today...it's Hitler's birthday!". Ridiculous.

Second, you have a valid point with his age, but the way you phrased it was completely and totally uncalled for. Your point is valid. The day he was elected, I heard a news program saying that the conclave clearly did not elect a new John Paul. The elected basically an "interim" Pope, some that can handle it for 5 or 10, but is not a long term pope.

but geez, learn to think before you speak, please.

FUS1ON
04-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Who in the hell keeps up with what day is Hitler's birthday? :confused: You must have read that on one of those Anti-*fill in the blank* sites.

Nitro
04-20-2005, 07:04 PM
holy **** guys im 18 how the **** you want me to type? lol

04-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Be cool with Nitrostatic. He said nothing wrong. He was just making an opinion/joke.

No need for a flame war.

TheMaster
04-20-2005, 07:36 PM
True that Benedict XVI might not live so long. John Paul II was 84 when he died earlier this month. On the other hand there really is no telling how long Benedict will live to be. President Reagan was 93 at the time of his death. That's pretty damn old.

Secondly, it has got to be a simple coincidence that the new pontiff was elected on Hitler's birthday, which also happened to be the Oklahoma City bombing anniversary btw. But that's probably just it, a coincidence. It doesn't feel right that the cardinals would plan somthing like this on the birthday of one of the worst dictators in world history.

Thirdly, Raven said the cardinals must have chosen him because he really is a good guy. Maybe, but consider this fact. Older men, and I hate to generalize but this is true, tend to be more conservative when it comes to religious and political issues. The cardinals are the only ones who have the power to choose the next Pope in a conclave, and virtually all of the cardinals that took part in this conclave were old men with a deep sense of tradition. They probably chose Benedict because he was the most conservative choice. Whether that is good or not, well that's debatable.

I'll repeat what I said, I guess we'll just see what kind of papacy we will see under Pope Benedict XVI. He might be as good as John Paul was, or he might not. I think it' just too early to tell now.

Slice
04-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Indeed. he didnt get elected pope for no reason. He must be a good guy.

why would you waste your time thinking up wild theories?
Do you know what the biggest business in the world is? The Catholic Church. That's right, it's not oil, not Bill Gates and not the mob. Of course people will draw conclusions, because religion is also a business. With that business comes huge power and influence. I am not trying to be negative because I really don't care who was elected Pope. I am just pointing out things that people tend to forget when it comes to religion.

Nitro
04-20-2005, 11:41 PM
This papacy will be like John Paul II's most probably

TheMaster
04-21-2005, 12:22 AM
I hope you're right Nitro, because John Paul was a great man and did great things for the sake of peace.

Mad Fox
04-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Give the guy a chance he was just elected

Mr Clean
04-21-2005, 04:43 AM

Well, there was a 1/365 chance of that happening. Seeing as how the last pope died April 2, the chances of it happening are much greater than a 1/365 chance. I hope you don't actually attach any signifigance to it, because if you do you would be wasting your time.

And for those that were surprised by the speed of the election, I believe that it has been hundreds of years since a conclave has lasted past 5 days. Not surprising since I am sure people start thinking about the next Pope when the current one is obviously going to pass relatively soon...

Mr Clean
04-21-2005, 04:49 AM
Do you know what the biggest business in the world is? The Catholic Church. That's right, it's not oil, not Bill Gates and not the mob. Of course people will draw conclusions, because religion is also a business. With that business comes huge power and influence. I am not trying to be negative because I really don't care who was elected Pope. I am just pointing out things that people tend to forget when it comes to religion.

Where are the shareholders? When is the next merger? Are they traded on the Dow, or the NASDAQ? Or they a corporation or a limited liability firm? Can Islam sue them in the International Trade Court for flooding the market with Bibles?

The fact that a lot of people give money to the church does not make them a business....

BobtheCkroach
04-21-2005, 04:50 AM
Where are the shareholders? When is the next merger? Are they traded on the Dow, or the NASDAQ? Or they a corporation or a limited liability firm? Can Islam sue them in the International Trade Court for flooding the market with Bibles?

The fact that a lot of people give money to the church does not make them a business....

Touche', Good Sir! Point, Set, and Match!

Pure_Evil
04-21-2005, 10:28 AM

Not all business's are publically traded.

The Catholic Church can be sued linky 1 (http://www.rickross.com/reference/clergy/clergy271.html)

hell, they sue each other! linky 2 (http://www.toddlertime.com/rash/catholic-diocese-sues.htm) :rolleyes:

Tribes sue them linky 3 (http://www.montanaforum.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2226)

Quite a few send out bills in the form of pledge cards, and if you fall short of what you pledged, they notify you that you're short, only no late fees :P

sorry, I agree with Slice

04-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Ouch. Pure Evil. :)

Oh and nice to see you woke up Clean. Where the hell have you been?

BobtheCkroach
04-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Ouch. Pure Evil. :)

Oh and nice to see you woke up Clean. Where the hell have you been?

Good question! He was one of the first guys that I found kewl and funny when I first got my start here....and now he's gone most of the time... :bawling:

Oh well, you other guys are ok, I guess...J/K!

And bring back the avatar, Clean! It's classic Old Skewl!

Slice
04-21-2005, 01:39 PM

The fact that a lot of people give money to the church does not make them a business....You have just proved my point as to why they are the biggest business in the world.

This is just in America alone... "It owns more land globally than any other organization on the planet"
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7558375/

Pure_Evil
04-21-2005, 01:40 PM
I was going to leave this topic alone, but once shiney showed up :o I couldn't resist.

Nitro
04-21-2005, 03:46 PM
I think the catholic church stock just went up 75% with the election of the new pope :P

TheMaster
04-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Yeah the NCIA (National Catholic Industrial Average) Just closed at 10,256 points. The C&P 500 (Church & Prayer 500) is up to 700 points.

TheMaster
04-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Yeah the NCIA (National Catholic Industrial Average) Just closed at 10,256 points. The C&P 500 (Church & Prayer 500) is up to 700 points.

If that last post offended anyone, I apologize. It was an intended joke. :P :thumbs:

Mr Clean
04-22-2005, 01:48 AM
The Catholic Church can be sued linky 1 (http://www.rickross.com/reference/clergy/clergy271.html)

Any non-government entity can be sued. Being able to be brought to court under the tort laws of this country does not make you a business...

Tribes sue them

There are also tribal lawsuits against the National Science Foundation, tobacco companies, United States Federal Government, Arizona State University, Scottish Power, and (big surprise!) each other....

Maybe it would have been better to point out who they are NOT suing at the moment...

Quite a few send out bills in the form of pledge cards, and if you fall short of what you pledged, they notify you that you're short, only no late fees

I have received reminder cards about pledges I have made from the Disabled Veterans of America, National Association of Chiefs of Police, and my high school...

sorry, I agree with Slice

I am beginning to understand why....you haven't proved a valid point yet either...

Mr Clean
04-22-2005, 02:03 AM
You have just proved my point as to why they are the biggest business in the world.

This is just in America alone... "It owns more land globally than any other organization on the planet"
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7558375/

They own more land than the country of China? Than Russia? Than the US government?

According to the "Overview of the United States Government’s Owned and Leased Real Property: Federal Real Property Profile as of September 30, 2003", the Federal Government owns 671,759,297.7 total acres of land.

If each piece of property owned by the Catholic Church was, say, 100 acres (and I have never seen a church, convent, seminary, etc sit on a parcel of land anyway near that big), than that means that the Catholic Church owns 6.76 MILLION pieces of property...

:funny:

Vatican City is 108.8 acres btw...so that is one piece....

I tried to find an email address for the "reporter" who presented that report. I would love to ask her where she got her numbers...

In the mean time, I pretty much shot down that factoid. You can't believe everything on the 'Net people...

04-22-2005, 02:50 AM
Clean you are quite the master of the rebuttal. :watchmovi

Slice
04-22-2005, 02:51 AM
They own more land than the country of China? Than Russia? Than the US government?

According to the "Overview of the United States Government’s Owned and Leased Real Property: Federal Real Property Profile as of September 30, 2003", the Federal Government owns 671,759,297.7 total acres of land.

If each piece of property owned by the Catholic Church was, say, 100 acres (and I have never seen a church, convent, seminary, etc sit on a parcel of land anyway near that big), than that means that the Catholic Church owns 6.76 MILLION pieces of property...

I tried to find an email address for the "reporter" who presented that report. I would love to ask her where she got her numbers...

In the mean time, I pretty much shot down that factoid. You can't believe everything on the 'Net people...
You seem to be missing the point. Not for profit is a nice way of saying we hide our money. They buy and own more land under any organization on the planet. Not for profit doesn't mean that there aren't employees on a payroll, it means we take in money but need to hide it, because the fact of the matter is there is huge profits. Why do you think they own so much property globally? Because they have to. They have got to spend the money they take in. I am not going to argue with you, because it is a Fact that the Catholic Church is the biggest business in the world. This is nothing new, you just won't accept it...

Slice
04-22-2005, 02:56 AM

In the mean time, I pretty much shot down that factoid. You can't believe everything on the 'Net people...Why don't you ask Bush if you can buy a piece of his ranch? This is a dumb analogy.....

Remember the old Church and State arguement? You can't compare the government to the church as a business. Reason being, you don't have a choice but to pay taxes, you do have a choice not to go to church.

Ra\/en
04-22-2005, 04:08 AM
Siigh, religion and politics, the two biggest points of conflict ever.

Pure_Evil
04-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Any non-government entity can be sued. Being able to be brought to court under the tort laws of this country does not make you a business...

There are also tribal lawsuits against the National Science Foundation, tobacco companies, United States Federal Government, Arizona State University, Scottish Power, and (big surprise!) each other....

Maybe it would have been better to point out who they are NOT suing at the moment...

I have received reminder cards about pledges I have made from the Disabled Veterans of America, National Association of Chiefs of Police, and my high school...

I am beginning to understand why....you haven't proved a valid point yet either...
Niether have you, you just made a bunch of Vague statements that actually say nothing

you said
Can Islam sue them in the International Trade Court for flooding the market with Bibles? I just pointed out that they can be sued, so you point is useless.

You can put your blinders back on.

Die Hard
04-22-2005, 11:41 AM
pfft........

Pure_Evil
04-22-2005, 11:47 AM
pfft??

Die Hard
04-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Well, it's a silly discussion this one. We all know where it's going to end...

Pure_Evil
04-22-2005, 01:06 PM
How many discussions in OT aren't silly? :rolleyes: :D

Die Hard
04-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Er, well after an exhaustive counting exercise I found 3 :D

Pure_Evil
04-22-2005, 01:52 PM
you actually counted that high, :thumbs: short bus must be helping you ;)

Die Hard
04-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Er, well after an exhaustive counting exercise I found 3 :DAw come on. That was funny :bawling:

Die Hard
04-22-2005, 01:56 PM
OK. Have a giggle :D

The Pope and the Queen of England are on the same stage in front of a huge crowd. Her Majesty and His Holiness, however, have seen it all before,
so to make it a little more interesting, the Queen says to the Pope,
"Did you know that with just one little wave of my hand I can make every English person in the crowd go wild?"

He doubts it, so she shows him. Sure enough, the royal-gloved wave elicits rapture and cheering from every English person in the crowd.

Gradually, the cheering subsides. The Pope, not wanting to be outdone by someone wearing a worse frock & hat than he, considers what he could do.

"Your Majesty, that was impressive. But did you know that with just one little wave of MY hand I can make every IRISH person in the crowd go crazy with joy? This joy will not be a momentary display like that of your subjects, but will go deep into their hearts, and they will forever speak of this day and rejoice."

The Queen seriously doubts this, and says so. "One little wave of your hand and all Irish people will rejoice forever? Show me."

So the Pope slapped her.

Pure_Evil
04-22-2005, 02:12 PM
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/lol6.gif
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/lol8.gif
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/lol9.gif
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/lola.gif

good one!

TheMaster
04-22-2005, 02:16 PM
OK. Have a giggle :D

The Pope and the Queen of England are on the same stage in front of a huge crowd. Her Majesty and His Holiness, however, have seen it all before,
so to make it a little more interesting, the Queen says to the Pope,
"Did you know that with just one little wave of my hand I can make every English person in the crowd go wild?"

He doubts it, so she shows him. Sure enough, the royal-gloved wave elicits rapture and cheering from every English person in the crowd.

Gradually, the cheering subsides. The Pope, not wanting to be outdone by someone wearing a worse frock & hat than he, considers what he could do.

"Your Majesty, that was impressive. But did you know that with just one little wave of MY hand I can make every IRISH person in the crowd go crazy with joy? This joy will not be a momentary display like that of your subjects, but will go deep into their hearts, and they will forever speak of this day and rejoice."

The Queen seriously doubts this, and says so. "One little wave of your hand and all Irish people will rejoice forever? Show me."

So the Pope slapped her.

OMG I am going to die laughing DH! :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

Mad Fox
04-22-2005, 03:46 PM
that was a funny one

FUS1ON
04-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Good one, here's another

A nun, badly needing to use to the restroom, walked into a local Hooters. The place was hopping with music and loud conversation and every once in a while the lights would turn off. Each time the lights would go out, the place would erupt into cheers.

However, when the revelers saw the nun, the room went dead silent. She walked up to the bartender, and asked, "May I please use the restroom?

The bartender replied, "OK, but I should warn you that there is a statue of a naked man in there wearing only a fig leaf." "Well, in that case I'll just look the other way," said the nun.

So, the bartender showed the nun to the back of the restaurant, and she preceded to the restroom. After a few minutes, she came back out, and the whole place stopped just long enough to give the nun a loud round of applause. She went to the bartender and said, "Sir, I don't understand. Why did they applaud for me just because I went to the restroom?"

"Well, now they know you're one of us," said the bartender, "Would you like a drink?"

"But, I still don't understand," said the puzzled nun. "You see," laughed the bartender, "every time the fig leaf on the statue is lifted up, the lights go out. Now, how about that drink?"

JIMINATOR
04-22-2005, 05:26 PM
The Pope Visits America

The Pope just finished a tour of the East Coast and was taking a limousine to the airport. Since he'd never driven a limo, he asked the chauffeur if he could drive for a while. The reluctant chauffeur pulled over along the roadside, climbed into the back of the limo, and the Pope took the wheel. The Pope then merged onto the highway and accelerated to over 90 mph to see what the limo could do.

Suddenly, the Pope noticed the blue light of the State Patrol in his side mirror, so he pulled over. The trooper approached the limo, peered in through the windows, then said, "Just a moment please, I need to call in."

The trooper called in and explained to the chief that he had a very important person pulled over for speeding. "How do I handle this, chief?" asked the trooper. "Is it the Governor?" questioned the chief. "No! This guy is even more important!"

"Is it the President?" asked the chief.

"No! Even more important!"

"Well, who the heck is it?" screamed the chief.

"I don't know, sir," replied the trooper, "but he's got the Pope as his chauffeur."

TheMaster
04-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Guys no more religious jokes, you're gonna keep me up all freakin' night. LOLL

SHOTGUNmaniac
04-23-2005, 01:48 AM
i think he'll die soon

lol.. im in agreement to that.,..... why dont they find some younger pope

JIMINATOR
04-23-2005, 02:10 AM
because they are all old people and they probably don't feel that a younger pope would correctly represent their conservative viewpoint....

SHOTGUNmaniac
04-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Im quite sure under the correct representation and training, a younger person could do the job.....

Slice
04-23-2005, 02:33 AM
Well you know with age comes wine, with age comes cheese, with age comes knowledge and with age comes death. They picked a good year.... :P

JIMINATOR
04-23-2005, 03:02 AM
religion, like anything else, is political in nature. you tell me why there were no young cardinals at the session? What happens when congress doesn't like who the president appoints? How come John Paul never visited Russia?

OUTLAWS Tip
04-23-2005, 03:21 AM
They picked an elder Pope so they would not get stuck in one set of policies/actions of the church for decades. He is there till death. Would you want them to pick a 25 year old and when he lived to 80 he would have set the policy for 55 years?

I think it was a wise Decision age wise.
:D

Mr Clean
04-23-2005, 06:29 AM
You seem to be missing the point. Not for profit is a nice way of saying we hide our money. They buy and own more land under any organization on the planet. Not for profit doesn't mean that there aren't employees on a payroll, it means we take in money but need to hide it, because the fact of the matter is there is huge profits. Why do you think they own so much property globally? Because they have to. They have got to spend the money they take in. I am not going to argue with you, because it is a Fact that the Catholic Church is the biggest business in the world. This is nothing new, you just won't accept it...

Your comments here are riddled with assumptions. Fo one, each and every nation on this planet has a different tax code, and some of them do not have "not-for-profit" exemptions. The whole basis for that argument is incorrect because you are talking about it as if it totally resides within the borders of America, and it obviously does not. Vatican City is a city-state, an autonomous nation, and does not have to "spend all the money they take in".

But even putting that aside, I still have not seen one iota of proof that shows the Catholic Church is the biggest business in the world. It never ceases to amaze me that the people who are critical of the Catholic Church know so very little about it. Simply stating that that "this is nothing new" does not prove a thing.

I am sure people told Columbus that he was wasting his time because the world was flat. Everyone knew that, right?...because it was a fact known for a long time....but that is what happens when people know the "facts" without all the information needed to create an informed opinion...

Mr Clean
04-23-2005, 07:18 AM
Why don't you ask Bush if you can buy a piece of his ranch? This is a dumb analogy.....

Remember the old Church and State arguement? You can't compare the government to the church as a business. Reason being, you don't have a choice but to pay taxes, you do have a choice not to go to church.

It was actually an inference, but analogy is a form of inference, so close enough. If we take the definition of analogy to mean: "The act or process of deriving logical conclusions from premises known or assumed to be true", then comparing the known size of land holdings by the US Government and trying to break that down into 100 acre lots and see how many lots that gives us, common sense clearly dictates that the Catholic Church does not have over 6.7 million parcels of land...hardly dumb.

Look at the numbers this way:

The 50 states comprise 6.598% of the total land area on Earth. If the Catholic Church "owns more land globally than any other organization on the planet" as you say it does, than it has to own at least as much land as the US Governemnt. As posted earlier the US Government owns over 670 million acres of land. If each parcel owned by the church is 100 acres in size, this means they own 6.7 million parcels of land.

Now, 6.598% of 6.7 million is 443,254 parcels of land. In the 50 states there are 3,086 counties (or parishes in Louisians and borrougs in Alaska, but for this discussion I lumped them together and called them counties). That means that each of the 3,086 counties has 143 (rounded down) parcels of land, each 100 acres in size, owned by the Catholic Church. 14,300 acres of every county in America is owned by the Church.

And that is assuming that the parcels are spread out evenly across all dry land on Earth, including such Catholic hotbeds as India, China, Isreal, Iraq, and Antartica....

Still want to believe what that reporter wrote?

Mr Clean
04-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Niether have you, you just made a bunch of Vague statements that actually say nothing

you said I just pointed out that they can be sued, so you point is useless.

Hey you are the one that offered up being able to be sued as some sort of half-baked proof that they are a "business". All I did was show how that proved nothing. :)

Pure_Evil
04-23-2005, 11:54 AM
hey :D ;)

TheMaster
04-23-2005, 01:15 PM
because they are all old people and they probably don't feel that a younger pope would correctly represent their conservative viewpoint....

That enforces what I said earlier about the cardinals wanting to elect the most conservative pontiff. The older one is, the more conservative one is.

TheMaster
04-23-2005, 01:17 PM

you said I just pointed out that they can be sued, so you point is useless.

:P Come on guys, I thought this was GameMecca, not FlameMecca.

Pure_Evil
04-23-2005, 03:57 PM
:P Come on guys, I thought this was GameMecca, not FlameMecca.
Please :rolleyes: Clean and I are just having some fun :D

Slice
04-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Your comments here are riddled with assumptions. Fo one, each and every nation on this planet has a different tax code, and some of them do not have "not-for-profit" exemptions. The whole basis for that argument is incorrect because you are talking about it as if it totally resides within the borders of America, and it obviously does not. Vatican City is a city-state, an autonomous nation, and does not have to "spend all the money they take in".

But even putting that aside, I still have not seen one iota of proof that shows the Catholic Church is the biggest business in the world. It never ceases to amaze me that the people who are critical of the Catholic Church know so very little about it. Simply stating that that "this is nothing new" does not prove a thing.

I am sure people told Columbus that he was wasting his time because the world was flat. Everyone knew that, right?...because it was a fact known for a long time....but that is what happens when people know the "facts" without all the information needed to create an informed opinion...
The Catholic Church is worth around $100 billion dollars. Go google yourself to death and find out the truth.

TheMaster
04-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Please :rolleyes: Clean and I are just having some fun :D

I know Evil, I know. So am I. :thumbs:

TheMaster
04-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Pope Benedict XVI said at his inaugural mass today that he wants to reach out to believers and nonbelievers alike. I didn't watch the mass, but I know that sounds like a worthy goal. I hope he remains true to his word and will reach out to everyone.

JIMINATOR
04-24-2005, 04:55 PM
"gods rottweiler", yeah, i am sure he will be doing a lot of reaching out, but not in the way people want....

TheMaster
04-24-2005, 10:43 PM
.......Jim I don't know what's going through your mind right now. I don't want to know. lol

Alexis SC430
04-24-2005, 10:49 PM
A German pope...

TheMaster
04-25-2005, 12:08 AM
The first one in a millennium Alexis.

At least I think it was a millennium.

Alexis SC430
04-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Uh huh...

JIMINATOR
04-25-2005, 02:54 AM
.......Jim I don't know what's going through your mind right now. I don't want to know. lol
god's rottweiller is a term that has been coined for him. he is known as a enforcer of conservative beliefs. It remains to be seen how much reaching out he does as compared to smacking down....

TheMaster
04-25-2005, 10:50 AM
I agree Jim. We'll see what kind of Pope he turns out to be.