PDA

View Full Version : Over heating problems. I think

Die Hard
04-19-2005, 09:22 PM
I bought this new PC a few months ago but just lately it is over heating. Well at least I think it is?

After about 30 minutes of using my graphics card (playing Sam) my PC starts to make a noise like an old police siren. It doesn't come from my speakers but from the actual case.

I haven't done any over clocking or adjusted the performace of the PC at all. It's exactly as it came in the box apart from the graphics card which I took out of my old PC. Never had any problems like this before.

I've looked at all the fans (through the side of my transparent case) and they all appear to be working.

Any help or advice you can give me would be great.

Here are some of my specs:

JIMINATOR
04-19-2005, 09:37 PM
a grinding noise? pop it open, run the system until you get the noise, then touch to fans on the graphics card to see if it stops. well ok, if you are clumsy you may not want to do that, but I have found that pretty much most case noise is the result of fans spinning and hitting big dust wads. so pull the card out and blow it out with canned air. Depending on the setup you may need to pull the heatsink off to get it all.

Die Hard
04-19-2005, 09:39 PM
No Jim it's definately not a grinding noise.

It's a real siren. You know "nah nah nah nah nah nah"

JIMINATOR
04-19-2005, 10:02 PM
sounds like a "three stooges" type of thing. I hope you are not suggesting something... :) It looks like some asus boards can do this, I think you want to run the asus probe utility (or hopefully your mb maker has a utility to monitor voltage, fan speed and board/cpu temp) then when your siren goes off, you can exit sam and look at the program to see if any have gone out of range. then to fix maybe look in the case and see if you have any cables or connectors brushing against a fan. i don't think that dust should be an issue so soon (except maybe for graphics card, if you have never cleaned it out). this can also possibly be turned off in the bios by disabling or changing the fan speed/checking setting.

Die Hard
04-19-2005, 10:08 PM
lol Jim. No it's for real.

Just happened again actually while i had a quick game of Sam. I've just restarted my machine and no siren. As soon as I play Sam it will start again. It's real loud too.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not sure where or how to start using them but I'll try Google now and I'll let you know how I get on. :thumbs:

PS. Do I have an Asus board? How do you know? :confused:

Caged Anger
04-19-2005, 10:40 PM
if its a siren, it may be a warning coming from your overheating system or the voltage usage. I know thats what Jim said, but I mean it differently. YOu may be running the monitoring program without even knowing it and its tripping an alert every time you play a game.

Just a thought

Die Hard
04-19-2005, 10:43 PM
No, I've checked and there is no monitor running.

BobtheCkroach
04-19-2005, 10:50 PM
No, I've checked and there is no moniter running.

PCAlert makes that noise, but you said there's no monitor running, so I guess that's probably not it. That's the exact same noise that I heard when I had overheating and power issues.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
04-19-2005, 11:24 PM
If are using an asus board the program asus probe may be making the noise if you have it running.

Die Hard
04-19-2005, 11:32 PM
If are using an asus board the program asus probe may be making the noise if you have it running.
Well i just downloaded that programme and it wouldn't run because my board is not an asus. But thanks anyway :thumbs:

JIMINATOR
04-19-2005, 11:39 PM
okeeeeee the suspense is killing me...... what type of freakin board do you have??

and yeah, you are going to have to get dirty on this one. that means like open the case and read the label off the board...

example

http://www.abit-usa.com/images/products/fatal1ty_aa8xe_lg.jpg

OUTLAWS Tip
04-20-2005, 02:15 AM
Nice little program I have used shows what motherboard I have and other hardware. Also lists software and shows some off your software license numbers. Nice to print out for a backup. Only a 605K download.
link to free download (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html)

Slice
04-20-2005, 05:11 AM
Check your bios for a setting called Q FAN, disable it. This will run your cpu fan at it's maximum speed.

Die Hard
04-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys (at least I don't need to get dirty now Jim :P)

I'm at work now but will try to solve the problem when I get home later and I'll come back to you.

Die Hard
05-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Well as a courtesey I thought I'd let you guys know what happened.

I couldn't officially isolate what was causing the siren. But safe to say it was my graphics card becuase every time I played Sam it would come on and tehen stop after 2 minutes of minimising Sam.

So on Saturday Rancid and I took the cover off the case and put the PC on my garden table. I then (and at this point all real computer buffs should close their eyes) got my leaf blower out of the shed and gave the PC a good blow! Their was so much dust that came out, amazing. After only 6 months too!

Anyway, put it all back together, played loads of Sam and bingo, it works like a dream, no more siren.

Thanks for all you help guys and thanks to the good old leaf blower too.

JIMINATOR
05-02-2005, 08:32 PM
yeah, and afterwards you can whip out the lawn hose and rinse it out.... man, there is a reason why the recommendation is to use canned air and not anything else... but glad you are working well. we had a good game in the hole this morning. your shotty has become much hotter! :thumbs:

Slice
05-02-2005, 08:56 PM
we had a good game in the hole this morning. your shotty has become much hotter! :thumbs:
Sorry I know that spam isn't allowed in here but now that the issue has been resolved I just couldn't keep my self from lol as to how gay that sounds.

Die Hard
05-02-2005, 09:12 PM
:rofl:

Caged Anger
05-02-2005, 09:18 PM
lol, I can't believe you pulled out a leaf blower...that rocks man!

ME BIGGD01
05-02-2005, 09:34 PM
i have to put your technique in my log:D . this lawnblower fix is the first:)

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
05-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Damn leafblower. LOL

Best one I did was when I was a mechanic I used the air hose.

Slice
05-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Damn leafblower. LOL

Best one I did was when I was a mechanic I used the air hose.
I always use my compressor. As long as your tank doesn't have much water in it, I find the air to be much better and way more forcefull then compressed air in the can. Also with air in the can after a bit you lose pressure because the can gets colder then room temperature.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
05-03-2005, 04:59 AM
I use a small compressor too. That canned air is expensive.