PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle

Mad Fox
04-21-2005, 01:23 AM
Does anyone know how to enter a vehicle and only use the gun?

Pure_Evil
04-21-2005, 02:04 AM
hit U to enter, the 2 or 3 for the guns depending on your settings. that's for Goliath and Hellbender :thumbs:

OUTLAWS 9.99repeating^32
04-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Although what Pure said is correct, it will only work if you haven't changed any of your keybindings. What actually changes positions are the keys that you have set for your Shield Gun, Assault Rifle, and Bio-Rifle. That will shift you into the Primary (driver seat, with Shield Gun), secondary (first gunner, with Assualt Rifle), and tertiary (second gunner, with Bio-Rifle) positions.

That will work for the following vehicles: Hellbender (3), Cicada (2), Goliath/Ion Tank (2), SPMA (2), and Leviathan (5). You can switch to more positions in the Leviathan using the same pattern, but it is fairly rare that one will have more than three people in a Leviathan or that one would even need to switch in a Leviathan (except maybe when it is deployed).

If you are really interested in changing quickly in a vehicle, I remember that someone made up a keybind that allowed a player to press and hold the key to switch to the second position, and upon releasing the key, switch back to the driver's position. A keybind like this is very useful if you are in a tank and by yourself. If a Raptor starts attacking you, you can switch very quickly to and from the minigun position to help fend off the Raptor. You won't need any other keys because you cannot drive while in the second position, so the bind does not impede your movement. I looked around for the keybind but couldn't find it; if you are really interested in it I can spend some more time and try to dig it up for you.

Caged Anger
04-21-2005, 02:33 PM
hey 999's, if you have some spare time, that bind would be great. I'm fairly accomplished in a tank, but man, when I get a raptor or even a manta dancing around me, I just can't hit em. Even worse is when you get a manta sitting on top of you...

humiliating

OUTLAWS 9.99repeating^32
04-21-2005, 04:40 PM
hey 999's, if you have some spare time, that bind would be great. I'm fairly accomplished in a tank, but man, when I get a raptor or even a manta dancing around me, I just can't hit em. Even worse is when you get a manta sitting on top of you...

humiliating

Ok, I was able to find it (the original author was _Faction_1979). The keybind is actually much simpler than I remember:

[Key]=switchweapon 2 | Onrelease switchweapon 1

Now, you may be wondering just where exactly one should put that bind. Well, first you need to find a good key on your keyboard that you want to reserve for this bind. You probably do not want it very close to your movement keys (ie not Q or E if you use WASD for movement) because it will only be used for Onslaught and only in a very specific situation. So once you have found the key, make sure you remember it.

Now, open up the System folder in your UT2004 directory. For me, that is located at: C:\UT2004\System.

Look for the file named "user.ini". Right click on this file, select "Open with", and open the file with notepad (make sure you uncheck the "Always use this program to open this type of file" checkbox to prevent you from always using notepad to open a .ini in the future).

When you open the file with notepad, scroll down until you see alphabetic letters and other words with equal signs to the right of them. Remember the key you wanted to bind this tank-switch to? Locate that key from the list, and copy the bind after it. For example, if you wanted to use the "T" key for the bind, the line in the user.ini should look like this:

T=switchweapon 2 | Onrelease switchweapon 1

Now, just save the file (File -> Save) and you are good to go. This will also work for the Hellbender and using it's "sky-mine" side turret (you could even make a bind for the rear turret; to do so, follow the same procedure, except use "switchweapon 3" instead of "switchweapon 2"...I do not think that one is really necessary, however, as it is taking up a key for something that is pretty trivial).

There are also binds that allow you to toggle between seats, but like the Hellbender rear turret, I think that such a bind is unnecessary and would only be taking up a key that you could use for something else. If you want to learn more about keybinding, you can check out the links I posted over at this thread (http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/showpost.php?p=577085&postcount=3).

Caged Anger
04-21-2005, 10:25 PM
thanks for the info