PDA

View Full Version : unstable system

Free Styler
04-27-2005, 01:50 AM
Well even after upgrading to a new processor and a new vid card im still having problems with my puter.

I havent been able to stablelize the vid card.

its kinda choppy and not that good.

I tryd and bunch of things including bios settings with fast write off and those sort of things and a bunch of different drivers from catalyst after uninstalling each one i had put before of course.

Its just not giving me that much of a improvement.

On a good note tho i just found out that you can flash the bios with the x800 pro with sto i think anyways mine is anyways to make it a x800 pro xt.

With the same core speed as the xt and unblock the 4 pipelines to get 16 instaed of 12.
turns out ati just blocks the feature in those models.(but its the same physical model with 1.4v instead of 1.5v or sometin.

So a bit before the realese of sam i will buy a new mother board new ram new power supply and keep my card for that future system.

I will keep my old system to put video editing stuff and my music sofware.
till then ill just have to accept the unstable puter.

the mobo and ram i have right now just dont give me the power i need to take full advantage of this card anyways.

Slice
04-27-2005, 02:18 AM
Let me guess, ATI?

Free Styler
04-27-2005, 02:31 AM
lol well indeed slice.

but nvidia does not give me more confidence.

I've seen my bros nvidia go to the repair shop 4 times.

so all and all ati seems good for now

Slice
04-27-2005, 03:03 AM
lol well indeed slice.

but nvidia does not give me more confidence.

I've seen my bros nvidia go to the repair shop 4 times.

so all and all ati seems good for now
Well it depends on the make of Nvidia. Ati controls their market. I personally will never buy another ATI for as long as I live. I don't care if they make a super card that blows everything away. I hate their cards and drivers and have given them a try several times but always run in to problems of some sort.

Caged Anger
04-28-2005, 12:38 AM
i think its all opinion. Everyone here seems to have their own card and will never buy any other because they've known people to have problems with theirs.

Honestly, I think its luck of the draw guys

ME BIGGD01
04-28-2005, 02:04 AM
how about listing exactly what card you have and what sort of problems you are having. it saves some people time trying to guess what could be the problem.

also list your power supply brand because this could be a problem. did youinstall the latest via drivers for your board? is your memory set correctly? it could be many things causing problems.

ME BIGGD01
04-28-2005, 02:07 AM
ok i see you mentiones x800 but unsure if that is your card. anyway, i would guarantee you need a powerful power supply for such a card. i would not bother to flash your bios to the card for various reason besides there is software that can enable the pipelines. please just list the exact problems you are having so i can get a better description.

Free Styler
04-28-2005, 02:48 AM
Well here are the specs

Card name: RADEON X800 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON X800 PRO AGP (0x4A49)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4A49&SUBSYS_00341043&REV_00
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6525 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/23/2005 00:01:17, 225280 bytes

On a side note the power supply i have is a 450 watt good brand i dont remember the name antec i think?.

Heating is not the problem cause i opened the case and put a big summer fan at the highest level next to it.

The problem i'm having is overall performance.

The card IS working propely but the problem is the RESULTS im having with it in games.

The screen jumps.... like the players appears when there not suppose to or i shoot a lighting gun shot and there is a big delay.

I dont really know what else to say appart form that.It works but to be honest it's sloppier then my 64Mb card that i had.

Like i said anyways ........I will upgrade to a hole new rig probably this fall and will keep the old system and just put this card in the new rig.

I was expecting a big boost but it seems that al have to wait.

Well if you have any ideas on the problem bigg thanks but like i said dont bother with it.I took 8 hours to try and figure out what was rong and i still havent got it.There is no problem i think but the card does not run smoothly on my system is my explaination right now

ME BIGGD01
04-28-2005, 03:11 AM
ok, it might not be the video card causing your problems here. that mb is really not for gaming but lets just look to see what you have.

you have the sempron 3000--- do you have bios version 1009? this bios supports the latest processors.

http://usa.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V400-MX

is your memory configured for 333 along with the fsb @ 333? they should be so give a look and make sure.

video card aperture size should be @ 64 mb and no higher.

now most important which may be the problem is if your board has integrated grapghics, you need to make sure this is disabled in the bios. now you may not see it say enable or disable onboard video controller but you should see it say share memory size which should be set to disabled.

i will shortly follow up this post with suggested configs you should try. give me 5 minutes

ME BIGGD01
04-28-2005, 03:35 AM
look at these and try these settings

ME BIGGD01
04-28-2005, 03:36 AM
more bios settings

Free Styler
04-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Hum thanks bigg.

I had put the apeture size at 256Mb.

Im at work right now.But tonight ill be shure to try your settings.

The processor is a sempron 3000+ with 512 cache.

Btw what is apeture size.I thought it was for the allocated memory of the vid card...guess i was rong.

thanks again ill try it and will let you know the results once i`ve done them.

The chip thingy you showed .I was looking for something similar but did not find it.hehe

OK about the bios i did flash it to 1009.

But i dont know if it worked.How can i know wich bios i have.The thing is when i flashed.

It said already to date at the end...like if i had had that bios..but i dont think i did.

Anyways
how can i find out the bios number.At boot it only shows me the a7v400-mx logo but does not show me the bios.

thanks again bigg.You know your stuff that's for shure:)

Free Styler
04-29-2005, 12:47 AM
now running at 2gig for processor and the rig is running quite smooth.

Thanks bigg your the man!