PDA

View Full Version : What or how do you feel about this?

ME BIGGD01
05-08-2005, 09:57 AM
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2764&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

OUTLAWS 9.99repeating^32
05-08-2005, 11:51 AM
If Bestbuy wants to sell only Intel, then let them sell Intel. That's what I think. They will only be hurting themselves because there are still plently of retailers that sell AMD based systems. Now, if Bestbuy was the only real reseller of computer parts and systems, then I think it would be unfair to consumers.

Obviously Best Buy decided to do this for some reason. I'm speculating, but I would bet they pulled the AMD systems from their shelves because of lower sales compared to Intel systems. If you think about the type of person who goes to Best Buy to purchase a computer system, then I think you can understand what I mean. Take my father for example. He has never heard of AMD, although he knows about Intel from commercials, word of mouth, and the fact that he uses one at work. So if he went into Best Buy looking for a computer (which he may do) and saw an Intel machine and an AMD machine, I have no doubt he would choose the Intel machine.

My point is that knowledgeable computer users wouldn't go into Best Buy looking for a whole computer because of lack of customizable options and relatively high prices. Best Buy has to market their computers to the type of consumer who would buy from them, so I can understand why they decided to stop selling AMD based CPUs. Not because AMD computers are inferior, not because Best Buy is trying to screw consumers, but because Best Buy is a for-profit business. That's what I think about the article.

Fragetti
05-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I agree with 9.99 :)

Slice
05-08-2005, 01:41 PM
I voted fair. Best Buy can stock their shelves with what ever they want. I personally would never buy a computer from there anyways be it Intel or AMD.

Caged Anger
05-08-2005, 02:57 PM
yeah, off the shelf models are pieces of crap to begin with.

But still, its not fair to leave AMD out of things. I love my sempron chip

ME BIGGD01
05-08-2005, 03:16 PM
If Bestbuy wants to sell only Intel, then let them sell Intel. That's what I think. They will only be hurting themselves because there are still plently of retailers that sell AMD based systems. Now, if Bestbuy was the only real reseller of computer parts and systems, then I think it would be unfair to consumers.

Obviously Best Buy decided to do this for some reason. I'm speculating, but I would bet they pulled the AMD systems from their shelves because of lower sales compared to Intel systems. If you think about the type of person who goes to Best Buy to purchase a computer system, then I think you can understand what I mean. Take my father for example. He has never heard of AMD, although he knows about Intel from commercials, word of mouth, and the fact that he uses one at work. So if he went into Best Buy looking for a computer (which he may do) and saw an Intel machine and an AMD machine, I have no doubt he would choose the Intel machine.

My point is that knowledgeable computer users wouldn't go into Best Buy looking for a whole computer because of lack of customizable options and relatively high prices. Best Buy has to market their computers to the type of consumer who would buy from them, so I can understand why they decided to stop selling AMD based CPUs. Not because AMD computers are inferior, not because Best Buy is trying to screw consumers, but because Best Buy is a for-profit business. That's what I think about the article.

that would be all fine except the reason these products are being taken off the shelves is not because of lower sales because amd desktops are out selling intel desktops from these stores. now as far as the sales go, intel gives more to cut out the competition. where this might seem like a good business move, it is illegal. it also misinforms the public which is the reason people only know intel. although best buy has the right to sell what ever, they will lose the sales from the educated people. by the way hp makes a great athlon 64 system worth buying if you didnt want to build one.

He Is Legend
05-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Intel will never sale as much as AMD

Gaming wise, That was a very stupid move

Slice
05-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Intel will never sale as much as AMD

Gaming wise, That was a very stupid move
Um dude get your facts straight.

Intel
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/earnings/2005-04-19-intel_x.htm?POE=TECISVA

AMD
http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=24100

FUS1ON
05-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Most of the buying public will buy off the shelves because they aren't educated or informed enough in what it takes to build a system and if this trend in the article continues it could be bad news for AMD if they are taken off the shelfs. In the end, we will be hurt because Intel will be free to price their chips whatever they want to if there isn't a competitor to help keep prices cheap. It looks like Intel is willing to offer incentives now on a chance to reap the benefits in the end.

Dangerous Dan
05-08-2005, 07:40 PM
i think this doesnt matter at all... the same company owns "Future Shop," which is almost the same store, so its just stratagy for only carying certain stock at certain stores... in my case, all i'd have to do is walk across the street...

OUTLAWS high ping camper
05-08-2005, 08:01 PM
I voted fair. Best Buy can stock their shelves with what ever they want. I personally would never buy a computer from there anyways be it Intel or AMD.

Same here.

ME BIGGD01
05-08-2005, 08:28 PM
bottom line is that people looking to buy a pc will not get the chance to buy the better technology. intel has a good chip but today the better technology is with amd. if you need a server, amd has the best out there at a better price also. if you need a desktop, amd has the fastest and the coolest (as in heat) chips on the market for the desktop pc. a person looking to buy the bestter stuff will not be able to this because of the payoffs. i think a company that has to do that just to make more money and not offer a better product only makes the company look bad.