PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help from The Brains

Caged Anger
05-16-2005, 06:45 PM
In all honesty, we love our games very much. We spend more time playing them instead of eating, sleeping, and spending time with family.

I want to take my gaming to a new level in life though. I've read several articles about people who play video games professionally and make millions in the process. I loved reading the articles and the idea of getting payed if I play well is a thought close to heaven. The one thing the articles left out though is how to get started down this road.

Any suggestions about this or a link to someone who does know?

Pure_Evil
05-16-2005, 06:59 PM
start here

He Is Legend
05-16-2005, 07:18 PM
start here

LMFAO

Well caged..You have to be really uber f'in good to play pro, but you cant just play pro, you have to get spotted...and that's hella hard, like the most pro'd games out there I guess is probobly Counter-Strike, Ut2k4, Quake,Wc3,And CoD...

It's way harder than you think it is..it takes aaallloootttt of dedication, sportsmanship, and a very good team

gl hf!

SALvation
05-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Use that energy towards a real career. People do not make millions playing games. The best make about 40-50k a year which may seem like millions to them since they all live with their parents, don't have families, and never have to spend money going out.

JIMINATOR
05-16-2005, 07:58 PM
be born in japan and become a gamer, but here.... I don't know about people making millions, there may be *1* person that might be making that type of money. If you are looking for what to do with your life, the answer is to live it, and that isn't something you can do in a chair for 15 hours a day....

Fragetti
05-16-2005, 08:11 PM
learn to write the code and design games. then you get to play them to fix the bugs and stuff. there you should make a good buck :)

Slice
05-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Yes, and go to school and learn how to correctly spell write. The Wright Brothers will thank you, as well as DE. :P

Fragetti
05-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Oops :rolleyes:

Yes, and go to school and learn how to correctly spell write. The Wright Brothers will thank you, as well as DE. :P

Caged Anger
05-17-2005, 12:40 AM
I accept all of your pieces of advice with gratitude. However, if one was to go about becoming a professional, what would they have to do to become recognized?

merkwannabe
05-17-2005, 06:15 AM
i don't think you can make that much money from being a professional gamer. I think there's the few elite, but there's always the top few who can make a lot of money in any industry!

You're like 15-16 years old right? And when you said professional gamer did you mean as in competing against other players like Fatality or did you mean playing video games for companies? Are you really good at games? (as in, do you win most or all of your matches against good players?)

I don't mean to burst your bubble but you're question is like asking how do I become a professional baseball player! You need to pratice a lot and get the proper people to notice you. If you are serious about this,(as most gamers are for a period in their "career"), you need to play against the best and keep improving and when you get good enough go to lans. If you manage to beat the people there, then you'll start getting some attention and you'll start going to bigger and better lans until someday you are playing against the best. I don't see the purpose though. Some of those players are practically robots.

good luck. I hope I helped you in some way. :)

Free Styler
05-17-2005, 08:04 PM
i don't think you can make that much money from being a professional gamer. I think there's the few elite, but there's always the top few who can make a lot of money in any industry!

You're like 15-16 years old right? And when you said professional gamer did you mean as in competing against other players like Fatality or did you mean playing video games for companies? Are you really good at games? (as in, do you win most or all of your matches against good players?)

I don't mean to burst your bubble but you're question is like asking how do I become a professional baseball player! You need to pratice a lot and get the proper people to notice you. If you are serious about this,(as most gamers are for a period in their "career"), you need to play against the best and keep improving and when you get good enough go to lans. If you manage to beat the people there, then you'll start getting some attention and you'll start going to bigger and better lans until someday you are playing against the best. I don't see the purpose though. Some of those players are practically robots.

good luck. I hope I helped you in some way.

LOL

Die Hard
05-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Good advice Wannabe. You've ruined my dream too :bawling:

merkwannabe
05-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Good advice Wannabe. You've ruined my dream too :bawling:Thanks! I didn't mean to ruin your dreams though... :) ;P

oh and LOL @ FS

JIMINATOR
05-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Good advice Wannabe. You've ruined my wet dreams too :bawling:

bad merkius!!

Caged Anger
05-18-2005, 12:14 AM
well, I'm certainly not giving up hope just becuase you guys made mention of the difficulty. people would never make it anywhere if they worked like that. We'll see how things go.

I've found that while I am still nowhere near able to compete against semi-good UT peeps, I can adpat well to new games. Maybe its nothing, but I like the field and the fact iot takes you different places in the world is good enough to lend someone to trying it

EXEcution
05-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Well this year i'm sure you will have plenty of opportunities for new games. Maybe ss2 will be recognized as a game "fit" for "pro's". If not there's quake 4, and several others.

<<Hybrid>>
05-18-2005, 08:12 PM
learn to write the code and design games. then you get to play them to fix the bugs and stuff. there you should make a good buck :)
thats the decision i made. but not for money. Only for fun.
There is very much programs,that can make your design easier like www.darkbasic.com this one is based on programming,they are even providing special makeeasywithmousein15mins prog. Its called 3D GameMaker.
I am using 3d.gamestudio v6.20.2.0.pro, that costs 500 bucks a year. its providing me with Level design, Character modeling and C-Script programs. Basicly i just making skeches on paper, then modeling. C-Script comes later to program, and that takes very much tutorials to learn, but its not hard if you know basics of known language like:
QBasic, Visual Basic, Dark Basic and even PHP and HTML scripting.
If you know these, the learning is way too easier.

Well, i didnt met anyone who are interested in that stuff, and alone isnt same as working as in team... you know?

Basicly, its all up to you.
i'd say, get a life and quit thinking about this, becouse if you cant decide wich one, then actually you were never interested in that, and wont be in future. After all, you will be bored very quickly.
Your hobby would make it easier to choose, my friend.

JIMINATOR
05-18-2005, 08:38 PM
yah know, there are hundreds of thousands of people that play basketball, but only a few hundred good enough to play on a pro level. if you want to play games for a living, do like they do on the g4 tv commercials, go to college for it and become a developer/tester...

Slice
05-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Learn Poker. More money in it. :P

Speedsweeper
05-18-2005, 10:26 PM
well, I'm certainly not giving up hope just becuase you guys made mention of the difficulty. people would never make it anywhere if they worked like that. We'll see how things go.

I've found that while I am still nowhere near able to compete against semi-good UT peeps, I can adpat well to new games. Maybe its nothing, but I like the field and the fact iot takes you different places in the world is good enough to lend someone to trying it

Hey caged, just believe in yourself. I am sure that if you are commited enough you will become a pro gamer. Anyone can be what they want to be if they keep at it.

I wish you the best of luck.

:thumbs:

Caged Anger
05-18-2005, 10:35 PM
many thanks Chris. The reality is good to know, but always feels great to hear somebody rooting for ya, hehe, thx guys

Speedsweeper
05-18-2005, 10:40 PM
many thanks Chris. The reality is good to know, but always feels great to hear somebody rooting for ya, hehe, thx guys

No probs.

I, myself have set large goals for my life and i am in the process of working towards them. Don't let anything get in your way, least of all people who put you down or say you can't do it. (I am not referring to people who posted here)

Look at people like Bill Gates or Michael Dell of Dell computers. I have read books on these people, including others and it is inspiring to read about them and to see what they have achieved.

Keep at it caged, you will do it.

EXEcution
05-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Just remember not to be too optimistic, or too pessimistic, be REAListic with your goals and dreams.

Speedsweeper
05-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Dream big dreams. :D

BobtheCkroach
05-19-2005, 01:16 AM
Set your goals low enough and ANYTHING will seem good! :thumbs:

Just kidding! Caged, while I agree that it's a career that may be very hard to break into, I encourage you to do the research. Find out what it takes. Find someone that does what you wanna do - e-mail them, talk to them. Find out where they started and what they had to do to get where they are. I'm willing to bet the majority don't just say "I played really well". There's probably some LAN party groups you can get into, touraments you can sign up for. Find some stuff and find out what the hot events are where the exposure is good.

Perhaps considering a career in game design/programming isn't a wholy bad idea...have you ever tried programming at all? The other day on G4TV, they had an episode of Icons that talked about Tim Scafer. He's the guy that did Maniac Mansion among many many other games. He does a lot of coding and whatnot, but he also does a TON of playing in order to bug test and things like that. Then again, if you're thinking playing competitively, then maybe that isn't your approach.

Best of luck in your search - I hope it works out for you! It really is awesome when you get to do the job that you actually want to do! :thumbs:

Caged Anger
05-19-2005, 01:47 AM
see, I have only 1 REALLY BIG obstacle. And when I say big, I'm talking Everest in the nature of size.

My parents hate games, online friends, and anything technological. If my Dad could build a shack on top of our mountain and completely isolate himself from society, believe me, he would. Just for kicks I ask them once in a while, if I might be able to attend some gaming parties such as Bigg's LAN in NYC (That looked like fun)
The answer was, of course, noway in...yeah. Looks like I have no choice but to wait til I can decide for myself where I want to go. I would kill at the moment to attend Quakecon 2005 or even better, E3.

Free Styler
05-19-2005, 11:19 PM
HERE IS MY STORY TODAY.oups sorry about cap lock everybody.

Well i truly beileive that if you want to ...you can.
Anyways here is my story i play this pro gamer earlier in ut2004.
this is no brag whatsoever btw.

I play the guy and he is owning me very badly it was stryfe or a other name i dont remember.

anyways im at -1 lol.I keep jumping in his face and am uberly pisset that i have -1 and it stays that way for a while until i get really pisset and leave.

Downlaod registry mechanics on downlaod .com run it and clean about 100 spywares and other crap that are lyingin my puter.

I forgot to say this earlier during that game i was lagging like chrismast lights on a tree.

5 seconds delays really the crappiest thing ever but stayed just because i wanted that frag.

Anyways after running registry and changing my name i am hoping for this guy to still be there and kick his ass.

Well luckily for me hes there i say rankin he says ok.

I have 7-0 lead yes you heard right im like whoaaa mother ****.. piece of ...ill show you -1 hehe.3 head shots 2 glue balls in is face and 2 mignium frag.

Then the unbeilievable happens i had the armor timed i was controling pretty nicely the map and all.I go for the armor dodge towards it and then see a wall in my face and 3seconds later appeared to be dead lol.

Yes a other packet loss or whaterver lag spike from above stroke me.

So i dont give up continue trying to frag him in more defencive manner.

Were fighting.... im about to frag him with lighting gun after 2 landed shots.And again i appear 4 second later in a wall dead.Im like wtf .....

He says to me lights out for you now my friend.I say dont worry its been 3 times already lol.

He now has full control of the map knows where im spawing and lets me have chubbish weapons like the glue master.Im running backwards like a rabbit with shield gun and looking back at the glory time of my 7-0 lead saying ahhh i remember lol.

point is even if you get the vibe for the win theres always the unexpected internet laws wich applies.

I could of won against that guy but honestly loss because of crappy net or something.

Btw maybe he would of won but at least if it were legitimate i would of acceted the defeat.

like it was there i said to myself i won that one.Or i won when it was fair.

anyways caged anger if you want to you can thats for shure.

The some of em are like robots comment from merk made me cry of laugter btw.