PDA

View Full Version : realvnc

Grimmy
02-03-2003, 07:21 AM
Ok, for those that don't know, this is like pc anywhere, and it allows you to take control over someone puter and do stuff.

I have this software, thinks it is great and easy to use. The problem I have, I run XP and when I am controling someone puter, and fixing stuff, all of a sudden, everything locks up. I hear a repeating sound, like I caught the first sound of something, and it lasts 10 seconds, then I can move the mouse for 2 seconds, and then it comes back.

Tonight I was working on my neighbors puter and it happened 4 times, and I finally gave up. I do like to have winamp playing that way when it happens I know it, and the only thing I can do is pull the plug and reboot, and it MIGHT work fine for a few minutes. Anything you suggest running?? This happened to me, I rebooted and zonealarm lost all of it's settings. Now when things try to access the net, it asks me, like it was a fresh install of zonealarm.

I don't know what to do. I love the software and its ease to use, but could it be that or something else? I do have nortons system works 2002 and have ran it with no prolems. I just don't know what is causing my system to go on the glitch like this. I don't think it is a bandwidth issue, becuase I have work on a friends puter with cable and it happened then also.

Don't know what to do or think. :WTF:

Grimmy
02-03-2003, 04:34 PM
VNC doesn't seem to work properly with Windows XP
VNC will work with XP provided that Fast User Switching and Remote Administration are not used. Windows XP uses the Terminal Services system to implement Fast User Switching and Remote Administration. This is not compatible with the current release of VNC, but will be supported better in a future release.

I just got that from realvnc.com and I think maybe that could be causing me some problems. Where do I find that fast user switching and remote administration and how to disable it??

Death-Dude
02-04-2003, 05:12 AM
Fast user switching can be found in the msconfig services tab. The remote admin is probably there too, but I don't see it in mine. I haven't set mine up to remotely administrate, though, so maybe it would be there if I did. Check yours and see.

Bones
02-04-2003, 05:31 AM
You might want to try tightvnc. I have it running on at least 10 XP machines and I never had to mess with terminal services.

Grimmy
02-04-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Death-Dude@Feb 4 2003, 12:12 AM
Fast user switching can be found in the msconfig services tab. The remote admin is probably there too, but I don't see it in mine. I haven't set mine up to remotely administrate, though, so maybe it would be there if I did. Check yours and see.
I see that fast.exe or something close to that in my startup under msconfig. Do you know what it is?? I do have 2 accounts on this puter, and I thought it was like for when you want to switch to the other account really quick, and not log yourself out. Like a fast switch.

I will look into that tightvnc. Is it free? tightvnc.com??

Thanks for the help guys :thumbs:

Bones
02-04-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Feb 3 2003, 09:41 PM
Yes and yes.

Grimmy
02-04-2003, 05:52 AM
got it. Just have to figure it out real quick, and when my friend and neighbor are having problems, I will just have to use realvnc to set up tightvnc :thumbs:

Death-Dude
02-05-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Grimmy+Feb 3 2003, 11:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grimmy @ Feb 3 2003, 11:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Death-Dude@Feb 4 2003, 12:12 AM
Fast user switching can be found in the msconfig services tab.&nbsp; The remote admin is probably there too, but I don&#39;t see it in mine.&nbsp; I haven&#39;t set mine up to remotely administrate, though, so maybe it would be there if I did.&nbsp; Check yours and see.
I see that fast.exe or something close to that in my startup under msconfig. Do you know what it is?? I do have 2 accounts on this puter, and I thought it was like for when you want to switch to the other account really quick, and not log yourself out. Like a fast switch.

Thanks for the help guys :thumbs: [/b][/quote]
Not under the startup tab, under the Services tab in msconfig. I discussed this with a buddy who has PCAnywhere 10.0, and wants to get 10.51, as it addresses that problem. When installing 10,0 PCA, it comments that Fast User-Switching is a known problem, and tells you that it is disabling it.

Grimmy
02-05-2003, 05:42 AM
I think I have that, version 10.something. I was going to install it, and I was reading through some of the documentation and it said that it might affect the way you login to windows. Well I just click my icon in XP and then everything loads. I don&#39;t want to have to type in my name and a password all the time. Not sure if it would switch it to that, and if it did, I don&#39;t know enough how to get it back. That is what stoped me from using PCanywhere.

I do like the easy of tightvnc. I installed it yesterday, and did the same for a friend too, who I work on his puter.

Another ? for ya. I had realvnc, installed tightvnc, and I have nothing in control panels->add/remove programs for realvnc. I left it checked when I installed tight, to take over all .vnc files and associations. Could that be why there is not install for it. I think they could be crossed, if one had real, and the other had tight. Can I just delete the folder and be gone with realvnc??

ME BIGGD01
02-05-2003, 01:29 PM
grimmy it will change the way you log into xp but if all you want to do is be able to click and get into xp just install tweak ui and set auto logon.

Grimmy
02-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by ME BIGGD01@Feb 5 2003, 08:29 AM
grimmy it will change the way you log into xp but if all you want to do is be able to click and get into xp just install tweak ui and set auto logon.
I thought that I had that xp tweak ui. Isn&#39;t it found in the control panel? Link to where I could get it please, or to where it can be found on my puter. I know I have it somewhere.

I will check that out Bigg, thanks guys&#33; :thumbs:

Death-Dude
02-05-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Grimmy+Feb 5 2003, 11:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grimmy @ Feb 5 2003, 11:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ME BIGGD01@Feb 5 2003, 08:29 AM
grimmy it will change the way you log into xp but if all you want to do&nbsp; is be able to click and get into xp just install tweak ui and set auto logon.
I thought that I had that xp tweak ui. Isn&#39;t it found in the control panel? Link to where I could get it please, or to where it can be found on my puter. I know I have it somewhere.

I will check that out Bigg, thanks guys&#33; :thumbs: [/b][/quote]
Sure&#33; (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp) :thumbs:

Grimmy
02-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Death-Dude+Feb 5 2003, 12:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Death-Dude @ Feb 5 2003, 12:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Grimmy@Feb 5 2003, 11:18 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--ME BIGGD01@Feb 5 2003, 08:29 AM
grimmy it will change the way you log into xp but if all you want to do* is be able to click and get into xp just install tweak ui and set auto logon.

I will check that out Bigg, thanks guys&#33; :thumbs:
Sure&#33; (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp) :thumbs: [/b][/quote]
Where is the default directory that I could find this at?? I know that I have it installed, I just can&#39;t find it. :WTF:

Death-Dude
02-05-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Feb 5 2003, 11:34 AM

Where is the default directory that I could find this at?? I know that I have it installed, I just can&#39;t find it. :WTF:
C:&#092;Windows&#092;System32 is where it installs, I think, but do a search on your computer to find out for sure where you have it.

Bones
02-06-2003, 07:15 AM
Tweakui: start, run, "tweakui", enter.

Tightvnc installs as a service, so you can login to 2K or XP with it. If you don&#39;t use the welcome screen to login, in tightvnc you can send a "ctrl-alt-del".

If you don&#39;t want to login manually in XP: control panel, user accounts, (select your account), remove password.