PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo's at it again...

Dangerous Dan
06-11-2005, 01:32 AM
basically distancing themselves from everyone else for the next generation, further giving third party support a reason to look away from them.

No High Def gaming. (http://cube.ign.com/articles/624/624200p1.html)

MR. SLiK
06-11-2005, 02:31 AM
well if all people care about getting are multimedia centers and not game machines, i think im gonna abandon console gaming all together soon. If them not supporting HD is THE decision about getting it or not (and not the games, who cares about those right?) then im baffled.

Dangerous Dan
06-11-2005, 02:40 AM
I personally don't care, i mean i don't have any plans on getting a HDTV in the future, but you'd be suprised by other ppls reactions on other forums :S

SALvation
06-11-2005, 04:23 AM
Its a pretty big negative in my opinion. Digital TV is coming fast and furious. Congress just ruled today to move up the date that half of all TVs sold need to be digital from July 2006 to March 2006. By 2008, all analog signals are going offline. That means if the Revolution is released in 2006, two years into its life cycle, it will be considered using an outdated display technology. You may not plan on getting a HDTV in the next year, or even two, but in 3 years when HDTV is standard and the price is where analog TVs are at now, you'll be getting one...it will be all that is available.

Think about how long the Revolution's life is going to be. In 2010, these consoles will be in their prime. Is no HD support going to be considered OK then? You might as well include an adapter for dialup.

MR. SLiK
06-11-2005, 04:46 AM
Congress just ruled today to move up the date that half of all TVs sold need to be digital from July 2006 to March 2006. By 2008, all analog signals are going offline.

that's cause their republicans, they are also killing public broadcasts almost altogether (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/csp/sbc/hp/pcm/public_broadcasting_targeted_by_house/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/washpost/public_broadcasting_targeted_by_house).

oh and a couple other things:

1. ign sucks (please stop going to their site unless it is to leech from them)

2. A couple of NOA people have been wrong about Revolution (Perrin Kaplan the person who confirmed this was wrong about Rev being only "2 to 3 times faster than GC" (confirmed to not be true on IGN, i believe, ironically) and the VP George Harrison was wrong about free revolution downloads).

many details have, obviously, not been announced about this console. They might change it in the future, who knows, but it doesn't effect me in the slightest.

ME BIGGD01
06-11-2005, 05:02 PM
i think that game consoles are going to serve the future not just for your gaming needs but actually what many people use their pc's for.

xbox 360 is going to be a great gaming unit but it will also be completely media center ready which will allow you to stream data from your media center system and display your media on your display. this sounds great and i think the whole kit will be a lot cheaper considering what they are charging for just a unit that will allow you to do this without the gaming part. but.....

sony's playstation3 will be out and although will not connect to a media center pc but maybe if it also gives you a linux os along with the ability to browse the internet and e-mail and most of all play their games, this would be the way to go. along with this ability, it should be able to connect to your network via wireless or lan and stream your data such as movies, pictures, or simply just music while you game. if sony does this, i can not see how ms could compete other then marketing bucks.

nintendo, very different then any other console and imo doesnt need to go this same route depending what they plan to charge for their console. i believe that hd will be able to be added in the future for another price but keeping the price down for this console will definetly make the company more money then trying to compete with sony and ms. regardless, nintendo imo has many titles that will sell the unit no matter what.

i am done rambling

Dangerous Dan
06-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Its a pretty big negative in my opinion. Digital TV is coming fast and furious. Congress just ruled today to move up the date that half of all TVs sold need to be digital from July 2006 to March 2006. By 2008, all analog signals are going offline. That means if the Revolution is released in 2006, two years into its life cycle, it will be considered using an outdated display technology. You may not plan on getting a HDTV in the next year, or even two, but in 3 years when HDTV is standard and the price is where analog TVs are at now, you'll be getting one...it will be all that is available.

Think about how long the Revolution's life is going to be. In 2010, these consoles will be in their prime. Is no HD support going to be considered OK then? You might as well include an adapter for dialup. one question, would having composite cables still improve the visuals of a game's graphical preformance?

Oh, and also worthy of note, the Rev can hook up to a computer monitor, so in a sence, the size reduction from a 32 inch TV to a 19 inch monitor would produce drastic improvements in sharpeness. Or so one would imagine.

nintendo, very different then any other console and imo doesnt need to go this same route depending what they plan to charge for their console. i believe that hd will be able to be added in the future for another price but keeping the price down for this console will definetly make the company more money then trying to compete with sony and ms. regardless, nintendo imo has many titles that will sell the unit no matter what. There is truth to this, and it can be seen in the Nintendo DS' success in relation to the PSP. Nintendo has effectlvely made the consol different enough so that it doesn't truely "compete" in the strictest of sences with Sony. True, they are both handhelds, but the differences are substancial enough so that they both have different lures.

Likewise, if the Revolution can be campaigned as different enough from Sony and Microsoft, it might just give people a reason to pick one up IN ADDITION to the PS3 and XBOX360 they will already no doubt own (the release date is so far after each of those Nintendo MUST be using this logic), people aren't going to wait an entire year to enter the next gen of console gaming (although I am).

SALvation
06-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Using composite cables for a TV does indeed improve the picture, but its not a huge leap. As for connecting to a monitor, unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. If there is no HD support, that means its best resolution is 640x480. So you could hook it up to a monitor, but you either have to play it as a 640x480 game stretched to the full screen so its looks like crap, or you have to play in a 640x480 window on your desktop.

I know this because I tried it with my PS2 by hooking it up to my TV card and playing it on my 20" widescreen. It worked, but looked like crap because the PS2 is not made to output a high resolution.

Dangerous Dan
06-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Using composite cables for a TV does indeed improve the picture, but its not a huge leap. As for connecting to a monitor, unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. If there is no HD support, that means its best resolution is 640x480. So you could hook it up to a monitor, but you either have to play it as a 640x480 game stretched to the full screen so its looks like crap, or you have to play in a 640x480 window on your desktop.

I know this because I tried it with my PS2 by hooking it up to my TV card and playing it on my 20" widescreen. It worked, but looked like crap because the PS2 is not made to output a high resolution.
Then we can only hope that when nintendo gets deep into development, and they test some of their games they have the same revelation. Of course, they may be too stuborn to admit when they're wrong, even if its right infront of their noses...

Dangerous Dan
08-03-2005, 11:39 PM
i dunno about the rev's graphics, this new info on metroid prime 3 makes it sound lie the jump between metroid prime 2 and the next one is going to be only slightly better than the jump in graphics between metroid prime 1 and 2... DD is not impressed.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/638/638879p1.html

Ra\/en
08-04-2005, 12:03 AM
well, they did state that the price was going to be quite alot less than the xbox 360 or the ps3. i would think that graphics would be not as impressive as the others. BUT. have hope. i mean, a crusty system like the ps1 competed quite well with the likes of dreamcast and n64, though being the weakest of the 3. of course, nintendo has a nasty habit of killing their 3rd party support...

SoulReaver
08-04-2005, 02:14 AM
Wow the screenshots of MP3 sucks horribly.

BobtheCkroach
08-04-2005, 01:13 PM
well, they did state that the price was going to be quite alot less than the xbox 360 or the ps3. i would think that graphics would be not as impressive as the others. BUT. have hope. i mean, a crusty system like the ps1 competed quite well with the likes of dreamcast and n64, though being the weakest of the 3. of course, nintendo has a nasty habit of killing their 3rd party support...

I'd withhold judgement for now. I would have made the same assumption about the GameCube, but I sincerely think most GC games look better than most PS2 games. Whether that is the fault of the hardware or the fault of the people making the games, I don't know, but I really think there were a lot of games on the GC that beats the crap out of what I've seen on the PS2 (I generally think the xbox has the best). The HD thing may very well hurt the system, but then again it might not. There are people like me that honestly can't tell much of a difference in quality even if you put the 2 screens next to each other. As long as I'm not getting static, it's pretty much all the same to me, so HD doesn't really mean jack to me. Plus, I'd give up a little video quality, even if I could notice it, to play Zelda and Mario (and it's 50,000 spinoff sports games) any day.

EXEcution
08-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Wow the screenshots of MP3 sucks horribly.
Are you kidding me? Compared to what? To be honest that looks pretty impssive for a hand-held, I see tons of polygons and very sharp textures as well. Sure the image quality is a bit low but it gives me a good impression of what the game will look like.

On a side note, I probably will not be buying any of the next-gen consoles. Reason being is that I'd much rather keep upgrading my computer (which would cost more in the long run) but performance wise as well as it being much easier for me to game on my PC it works out better. I can always run several apps on my PC, watch movies and video, and surf the web.

SoulReaver
08-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Are you kidding me? Compared to what? To be honest that looks pretty impssive for a hand-held, I see tons of polygons and very sharp textures as well. Sure the image quality is a bit low but it gives me a good impression of what the game will look like.

On a side note, I probably will not be buying any of the next-gen consoles. Reason being is that I'd much rather keep upgrading my computer (which would cost more in the long run) but performance wise as well as it being much easier for me to game on my PC it works out better. I can always run several apps on my PC, watch movies and video, and surf the web.Wait...thats Hunter? Ohhhh I thought it was the Rev's MP3, lol. As for me, I will probably get only the PS3 and possibly Xbox 360 if it has backwards compatibility which hasn't been confirmed. They've only said backwards compatible with 'best sellers' so far. Still don't know about Rev, must find out what is so "revolutionary" first. Anywho as for upgrading my comp, I'm gonna bug the heck out of my parents around my birthday for an X800 Pro since they have one at their store.

EXEcution
08-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Wait...thats Hunter? Ohhhh I thought it was the Rev's MP3, lol. As for me, I will probably get only the PS3 and possibly Xbox 360 if it has backwards compatibility which hasn't been confirmed. They've only said backwards compatible with 'best sellers' so far. Still don't know about Rev, must find out what is so "revolutionary" first. Anywho as for upgrading my comp, I'm gonna bug the heck out of my parents around my birthday for an X800 Pro since they have one at their store.
Haha. No that is MP3 for the Nintendo Revolution. Only the PS3 and Xbox 360? For me one next-gen system would be plenty. :o

SoulReaver
08-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Haha. No that is MP3 for the Nintendo Revolution. Only the PS3 and Xbox 360? For me one next-gen system would be plenty. :oWait..if its for Rev why did you say it was impressive for a handheld, your confusing me. I'm probably not going to get the Xbox 360 until a year after the PS3 comes out though.

EXEcution
08-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Wait..if its for Rev why did you say it was impressive for a handheld, your confusing me. I'm probably not going to get the Xbox 360 until a year after the PS3 comes out though.
LOL Because I am a very confused boy. Anyway we're all just gonna have to wait and see how all the next-gen consoles turn out.

Personally I'd really like to see how Perfect Dark Zero comes out for the Xbox 360. :)

Ra\/en
08-05-2005, 09:14 PM
but remember, ps3 is not designed for households, and you will have to work very very hard, extra hours even to afford one.

Kami
08-06-2005, 02:52 AM
but remember, ps3 is not designed for households, and you will have to work very very hard, extra hours even to afford one.

If it's not designed for households then what is it designed for?

SoulReaver
08-06-2005, 03:03 AM
If it's not designed for households then what is it designed for?Did you sign up just to say that? Anywho, I think it'll be $500+

Ra\/en
08-06-2005, 08:41 AM
btw, you all know of course, that my quote was from a head honcho of ps3

SoulReaver
08-06-2005, 03:24 PM
btw, you all know of course, that my quote was from a head honcho of ps3Yup, Ken right?

EXEcution
08-06-2005, 05:18 PM
500$ is pretty steep for a console. Lets hope it does some amazing things.

Ra\/en
08-06-2005, 06:47 PM
haha yeah, that ken guy. honestly, what was he thinking saying that? I dunno, i guess the whole concept that you HAVE to get blue ray capabilities with the ps3 bothers me. you end up paying much more for the system probably. what if i am happy with my dvd player and home entertainment system, and i dont want that. what if i just want to play games on my playstation? not much options there eh.