PDA

View Full Version : water cooled HDD

<<Hybrid>>
06-23-2005, 12:24 AM
quantum... cheap one anyway

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=watercooled

Caged Anger
06-23-2005, 01:48 AM
I'm confused...is that an actual method of cooling or was it a joke?

Oh, and please don't put the screws to Quantum. I've had a 30gig 7500rpm HDD from them that has lasted 6+ years without a single bad sector. Its running right now so I feel obligated to defend it...(even though I'm buying a new one :rolleyes: )

Mad Fox
06-23-2005, 01:53 AM
Im puzzled about the water...

JIMINATOR
06-23-2005, 02:34 AM
if you open a drive, it is dead, period. (unless you have a clean room) really though I am a little surprised it didn't short out, I guess the voltage is too small to overcome the resistance of water...

Grimmy
06-23-2005, 05:44 AM
if you open a drive, it is dead, period. (unless you have a clean room) really though I am a little surprised it didn't short out, I guess the voltage is too small to overcome the resistance of water...
You can get water that is nonconductive that won't hurt electrical components. I can't remember off hand what it's call, it's like pure water or something. We have it at work, call it DI water.

Funny vid though. I wouldn't do it unless I had junk stuff laying around and want to play with it. Then again faucit water and electricity don't mix very well.

<<Hybrid>>
06-23-2005, 04:44 PM
You can get water that is nonconductive that won't hurt electrical components. I can't remember off hand what it's call, it's like pure water or something. We have it at work, call it DI water.

Funny vid though. I wouldn't do it unless I had junk stuff laying around and want to play with it. Then again faucit water and electricity don't mix very well.
you'd want to see my work... we have thousands of 100mb-20gb HDDs... i am breaking lots of them just to get a magnet... :-)

i am using magnet see whats steel ,whats aluminium... working for PC recycling

Grimmy
06-23-2005, 10:28 PM
you'd want to see my work... we have thousands of 100mb-20gb HDDs... i am breaking lots of them just to get a magnet... :-)

i am using magnet see whats steel ,whats aluminium... working for PC recycling
Those magnets are awesome! I got a hold of one and put it on screw drivers to make them magnetic, to pick up those darn small screws that seems like you can never keep a hold of. :thumbs:

Slice
06-23-2005, 11:24 PM

Funny vid though. I wouldn't do it unless I had junk stuff laying around and want to play with it. Then again faucit water and electricity don't mix very well.Distilled maybe?

JIMINATOR
06-23-2005, 11:30 PM
de-ionized water, ie: http://www.tmasc.com/lab_di_water_systems.htm
very filtered water, impurities increase conductivity, (ie: salt). most things are conductive, it just depends on the amount of voltage it takes to bypass the resistance.

Slice
06-23-2005, 11:44 PM
http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/van/qa/section/States_of_Matter_and_Energy/Boiling_Evaporating_and_Condensing/20021202083432.htm

<<Hybrid>>
06-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Those magnets are awesome! I got a hold of one and put it on screw drivers to make them magnetic, to pick up those darn small screws that seems like you can never keep a hold of. :thumbs:
i've made a good laugh when i put one magnet on the microwave and asked my dad to pick it up with 2 fingers... i bet him for 5 euros and i won... but he didnt give me money anyway, said i am bastard :D

Caged Anger
06-24-2005, 01:11 AM
so I take it that is NOT the way to cool your HDD

ME BIGGD01
06-24-2005, 11:52 AM
they have watercooling for hard drives but this definetly is not the way to do it. if you notice he does not have the ide cable connected to his motherboard. if he did, he would most likely have blew his motherboard.