PDA

View Full Version : Vnc

PJ'l_Master
06-29-2005, 01:54 AM
anyone know anything about it...

i got it so that i could connect to my home PC from my laptop or my girlfriends PC from the same laptop or my home computer. I am behind a router so i will have to make some changes there too, but even inside the LAN i cannot get it to work

and i have those dam 192.168.0.XXX IP addresses too, but from what i have read thats because im behind mr router

anyone have any ideas on how i can make this work properly, its making me quite mad now

Caged Anger
06-29-2005, 02:49 AM
I'm hitting the same roadblock man. The best solution I've found is simply dropping the router firewall from the computer you wish to access. Take mine for instance. i want to create a game server to all m friends can play sam. I configure my router to not filter the traffic to my computer so everyone I want can access my server.

Hope this helps!

ME BIGGD01
06-29-2005, 02:59 AM
just use windows remote desktop. it is very secure. set the router to forward port 3389 to your desktop ip address. right click on your my computer icon and enable remote contol and make sure you have your user name set with a password. very simple it really doesnt need explaining.

Death Engineer
06-29-2005, 03:14 AM
I like VNC and use it all the time for work. It has less features than Remote Desktop, but I like the fact that it is open source and not MS. >: ) All you have to do is forward the right port (selectable, I think the default is 5900) to your local ip on the router.

See www.realvnc.com for more info. There are other flavors and I have tried them all. But I always return the plain vanilla for speed and simplicity.

BobtheCkroach
06-29-2005, 04:54 PM
The 192.168.xxx.xxx IP address is your internal address. From computer A on your network to computer B, that's what they communicate on.

However, from the outside world, your entire network is a single IP (unless you have dedicated IPs for your comps, but I'm betting you don't).

I would think, since you don't have a dedicated IP address, that it'll change from time to time, and that could cause problems for you, because you won't know what IP to connect to...

I agree with BIGG, though. I prefer Remote Desktop...I use VNC for school though, and it gets the job done :thumbs: