PDA

View Full Version : domains... please help

<<Hybrid>>
07-03-2005, 06:39 PM
would you pleasae explain me guys... what is:
first, second and third level domain names?
Yesterday i've bought new hosting and i got 3 free standart domain names... i want to give one for friends, but i am not sure how to do this... its not the same hosting. they are using ylabs, but i have hosting365...pff transfer?

BobtheCkroach
07-03-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to...are you referring to Primary (first), Secondary (second) and tertiary (third) DNSs? The DNSs are basically assigned to your web addres...when someone requests <website>.<extension>, the browser tells a DNS Server which tells them which IP to go to to find that website, basically. As to why there are more than one, you might have to ask SAL or BIGG or someone else for a better answer there...If it's the DNS you're referring to, though, you can't give those away to friends.

If you ARE referring to 3 domain names (seems odd, though), then you have to get the DNS IPs for your friend's site, then link the domain you own to that DNS (the hosting or company that sold you the domain should be able to tell you how to do that).

Does that help at all?

<<Hybrid>>
07-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Sure it helps mate...
but the question i asked was about domains itself not DNS IPs...
i know that third livel domain names are Subdomains (subdomain.domain.com),,, i just dont know whats second and whats first level domain names,, wich ones are they...
or wich one of them is domain.com (standart one) i think its second level one...

BobtheCkroach
07-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Sure it helps mate...
but the question i asked was about domains itself not DNS IPs...
i know that third livel domain names are Subdomains (subdomain.domain.com),,, i just dont know whats second and whats first level domain names,, wich ones are they...
or wich one of them is domain.com (standart one) i think its second level one...

Ah...I see where you're goin' now. I haven't heard them called that before. 'Fraid I can't be of much help informing you on what they are - if you find your answer somewhere other that GM, post it back in this thread, will ya? Always good to know more...

Cause Knowledge is Power!
:thumbs: :D