PDA

View Full Version : Printer Sharing

Caged Anger
07-24-2005, 12:57 AM
Okay, here is the setup.

My uncle has a main desktop that is hardwired to the router, a laptop that has built in wireless, and an all-in-one printer.

What i need to know is hwo i can set it up so that the laptop can print out stuff on the printer without the risk of having bugs from the main desktop being transmitted to the laptop.

This is the main worry because my other cousin uses bad P2P programs and is constantly coating the desktop with all manner of buggage. He has mental issues and its no use talking to him so i was hoping that you could tell me a safe route from the laptop to the printer. I am unsure if the printer has network capabilities.

Goober
07-24-2005, 01:27 PM
I have a similar setup (except for the crazy cousin part) with the printer connected to my main computer and the other comps, laptop and 2nd and 3rd desktop connecting to the printer through the main one (which has to be on for this to work). Usually done by going to the printer setup clicking on share printer on the main one and then going to each individual one and adding a network printer. As for bugs hopping from one to the other, as long as you have a good anti virus on the laptop you should have no problems.
The other alternative would be to get one of these.
Linksys (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124042#DetailSpecs)

Caged Anger
07-24-2005, 04:01 PM
only problems with that thought is the pricetag and the fact that all his gear right now is DLink. What are the options if the printer can be plugged into the router via ethernet?

Death Engineer
07-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Caged,

It is doubtful that your printer has a LAN connection unless it is a higher end printer designed for a work environment. The bottom line is that there is no "safe" say to connect to a computer that you think has been compromised. If you want to be safe, then just plug the printer into the laptop directly.

If you want help figuring out how to network the printer, let us know as I'm sure we can help talk you through it. Let us know what OS is on each computer. Installing file and printer sharing is a good start.

Caged Anger
07-24-2005, 08:15 PM
I think I will tell him to go the direct route and yes, you are right. The printer only has USB and LPT ports.

ME BIGGD01
08-12-2005, 10:57 PM
first--if there is a choice between usb and lpt1 port, use the par/port.

2nd, install the printer on the computer and share it by right clicking on the icon and choose share--the rest is pretty self explanitory.

if any computer on a network has viruses, you risk getting them if you are file sharing between them. all computers should be updated to latest security packs and have virus definitions being updated daily. use your xp firewall to prevent access to your pc on the network and simply just map to the computer with the printer and connect to it.

another way of preventing people getting in is to make sure all user names have a unique password. go to folder options click on the view tab, scroll to last item on list and uncheck simple file sharing.