PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Rediscovery - Telnet

Caged Anger
08-02-2005, 09:16 PM
I was looking around on google when I stumbled upon this cool program. Apparently it was the original MMORPG way of connecting. I looked some more and found a free server running this game called tradewars 2002.

Very interesting game that doesn't seem overly complicated at first but gets better as one goes along. The best part of this game is the fact you can play it from any computer running windows.

To connect to the game, simply:

1) Open a command Prompt
2) Type "Telnet" (Minus the quotes)
3) Type "open"
4) Type "thecrustychicken.com 2002"
5) Leave out a name and follow the on screen instructions from there :thumbs:

Nitro
08-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Caged, we're in the 21st century buddy. Telnet is long forgotten and good riddance cuz it sucked

FUS1ON
08-02-2005, 10:31 PM
So that was one of the first blackholes?

Caged Anger
08-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Caged, we're in the 21st century buddy. Telnet is long forgotten and good riddance cuz it sucked

shame on you for dishonoring the online gaming heritage.
Telnet is still very much alive and still quite capable of rendering a wonderful time. You can go anywhere and still access it, no matter how crappy your internet or computer is ;)

(No offense intended Fox)

::: DARK PSI :::
08-03-2005, 04:01 AM
Wow ascii art games. I remember Trade Wars. Yikes.. twas a long time ago.

Bingo
08-03-2005, 04:22 AM
By the way, there are quite a few programs that run as a telnet client but within windows. They also offer a few rudimentary functions.

GMud and Zmud are a couple that come right to mind.

GMud is free, Zmud is a trial-based then pay program.

Bingo

Dangerous Dan
08-03-2005, 05:02 AM
you guys remember watching the starwars movies in silent text-based form on telnet? haha, that was sweet

Mad Fox
08-03-2005, 11:47 AM
I like telenet.. no matter how slow my connection is I am still able tomplay lie everyone else

Bingo
08-03-2005, 01:43 PM
you guys remember watching the starwars movies in silent text-based form on telnet? haha, that was sweet

What, ya mean this?

http://www.asciimation.co.nz/

:P

B

Caged Anger
08-03-2005, 07:31 PM
seeing as you guys do know some stuff about it, could anyone tell me where I could get software to set up a free telnet server? I here it is included in the pro version but not in home (I have Home). I'm thinking that this could be the solution to my search for a free remote access program.