PDA

View Full Version : The things ppl get away with

KAT
08-25-2005, 09:36 PM
It's time once again to review the winners of the Annual "Stella Awards."

The Stella Awards are named after 81 year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's (in NM) That case inspired the Stella awards for the most frivolous, ridiculous, successful lawsuits in the United States.

Here are this year's winners:

5th Place (tie): Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

5th Place (tie): 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

5th Place (tie):

Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't reenter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's

insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of $500,000.

4th Place:

Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams who had climbed over the fence into the yard and was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

3rd Place:

A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

2nd Place:

Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms.Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

1st Place:

This year's run away winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mrs. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, (from an OU football game), having driven onto the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back & make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mrs.Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising her in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded her $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this

suit, just in case there were any other complete morons around.

OUTLAWS Spike
08-25-2005, 09:49 PM
:eek:

JIMINATOR
08-25-2005, 09:53 PM
they make for good reading, but like most everything else on the internet, they are all fake.

http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp

Elem3ntal
08-25-2005, 09:54 PM
LMAO ..:rofl: I dont now whos stupieder , the people that were sueing , or the jury :rofl: !

Asian Invasian
08-25-2005, 10:08 PM
they make for good reading, but like most everything else on the internet, they are all fake.

http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.aspAt least the mcdonnalds with the coffee was true, tahts so famous.... i still laugh to this day everytime i hear that:D

Die Hard
08-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Fake and old but good try anyways :)

KAT
08-25-2005, 10:42 PM
this where sent to me from a friend that is in law school... they are going over real life cases.... I personal do believe them will not that they are correct but that ppl try this crap... a guy back where I lived broke in a guys house and was shot by the own, but sued him and won... funny you can get sued for someone stealing from you...

JIMINATOR
08-25-2005, 11:31 PM
this is a real life case:

Perhaps the most famous of these cases is the McDonald's "hot coffee" case. This case is largely cited by proponents of tort reform legislation as an example of the court system run wild. According to the proponents, a consumer was able to sue McDonald's because she was injured by coffee which spilled on her as she was driving her vehicle and caused burns. The question is asked "What did the consumer expect? Did she not expect the coffee to be hot and what was she doing opening her coffee while she was driving her vehicle?"

The problem with this approach is that the information which is spread to the general public regarding this verdict has been incorrectly reported. The McDonald's case involved 79 year-old Stella Liebeck who was injured when a cup of coffee spilled into her lap. Despite the reports generally sent out to the public regarding this case, the facts are that Ms. Liebeck was not driving her car at the time of the incident. She was sitting in her vehicle attempting to open the lid of the coffee cup. The coffee spilled onto her lap. As a result, Ms. Liebeck suffered 3rd degree burns over 6 percent of her body. These burns encompassed her inner thighs, buttocks and genital and groin areas. As a result of the burns, Ms. Liebeck required eight days of hospitalization and painful treatment which consisted of debridement of the burns and skin grafts. At the outset of this claim, Ms. Liebeck demanded $20,000 to settle her case and McDonald's refused her offer.

What the reports of the case failed to mention is that McDonald's was aware of the fact that its coffee had been scalding consumers for a substantial period of time. McDonald's had received more than 700 burn claims in the 10 years prior to the date of this incident, which was 1992. Despite knowing about the fact that there were a substantial number of claims and despite the fact that the company engineers had advised McDonald's that their coffee was too hot, McDonald's maintained a company policy which required its coffee to be served at 180°-190° fahrenheit, a much higher temperature than coffee from other restaurants. McDonald's was aware of and testimony was elicited during the trial, that a severe burn hazard exists with substances served above 140°. So it was not the fact that a hot substance might burn you that was complained of by Ms. Liebeck, but that the temperature of the coffee was so hot that any burn would necessarily be a 3rd degree burn.

The jury, after hearing evidence of McDonald's lack of consideration for its consumers, returned a punitive damage award of $2,700. (The jury arrived at this figure by testimony that $2,700,000 was about two days of McDonald's coffee sales.)

The judge ultimately reduced the punitive damage award to $480,000 and the parties reached a mutual settlement after the judge's reduction. As a result of the lawsuit, McDonald's got the point that it could no longer serve coffee at its previously selected temperature and lowered the temperature of its coffee. As a result of this lawsuit, McDonald's coffee customers will no longer be in danger of suffering 3rd degree burns simply because McDonald's wanted their coffee served a bit hotter than was reasonable.

KAT
08-25-2005, 11:44 PM
the thing that gets me is this.... since I make coffee at home, when I burn myself do I sue the maker of the coffee pot for my being stupid??

Come on ppl you drink it and you have drank it before it is going to burn if you spill it on you.. that is the reason the lid on the cup says caution contents are HOT.... just like it you drop bleach and it gets on you clothes, they are pretty much ruined but you dont sue for that.... I dont think he should have won... come on the make cup holders for cars and if she didnt have that sure isnt a place you would find me using as one :P

OUTLAWS CHICO
08-26-2005, 01:26 AM
I Bcan see that with the facts =that if Mcdonalds had just listened to the public they could have avoided this suit. Just simply by lowering the temp. of the coffee. I had an elevator bottom out with me in it ,the result was a blown disk and $12.000 medical bills. Not to mention the pain I had from it. All that needed to be done is to install a backup battery that could remember the floor status and it never would have happened. But Otis elevators refused to install them and I was injured ,but due to suits like Mcdonalds coffee I still have a back injury and no compensation for the injury.So in my opinion Mcdonalds should have lost.

ME BIGGD01
08-26-2005, 02:18 AM
my advice to everyone is just find a really good lawyer.:thumbs:

i have seen people have to suffer from large corps because they want to save a buck while they make billions. as far as i am concerned, your health is worth much more then $$$. god help those that are working in any establishment that i get injured in. they will pay or they will pay.

solid snake295
08-26-2005, 04:30 AM
man, if someone tried pulling some stupid s**t like that on me and they actually won, i would murder them right there in the court room.
seriously, your not a child, you can take care of yourself. if the coffee is hot, its probably not a good idea to claw at the lid all geriatric like and spill the thing all over yourself. even if you did, suck it up, its just a burn. :doh:

JIMINATOR
08-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Ok, for those that didn't bother to read the coffee story, here is an example you can try at home. First heat some coffee to 190 degrees. Water boils at 212 degrees. Don't use your coffee maker, as it will only hit 160-170 degrees. Next, sit in your car and strap on your seatbelt. Then try to add sugar and creamer to the coffee. If you spill some of it on yourself, you will probably be screaming so loudly that you drop the rest. At 190 degrees, this will not be a burn where your skin becomes red. Instead you will need skin grafts and extensive recovery period. Have you ever spilled coffee on yourself and had to get skin grafts? I don't think that would be an expected outcome from buying some coffee.

ME BIGGD01
08-27-2005, 01:42 AM
man, if someone tried pulling some stupid s**t like that on me and they actually won, i would murder them right there in the court room.
seriously, your not a child, you can take care of yourself. if the coffee is hot, its probably not a good idea to claw at the lid all geriatric like and spill the thing all over yourself. even if you did, suck it up, its just a burn. :doh:

:D after reading this i couldnt help myself but laugh. i just pictured it in my mind and rofl:) .

OUTLAWS high ping camper
08-27-2005, 09:12 AM
"all geriatric like".......the kid has a way with words....I like that. :)

solid snake295
08-28-2005, 04:50 AM
what, no one else thinks that it is compleatly ridiculous that someone can actually get away with somthing like that? someone thinks "hey, im running a little low on cash, lets go watch a golf game and see if i can catch a ball with my teeth! thanks for the yatch tiger!"