PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Amsterdam

DiTomasso
08-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Well i am living in Alkmaar, thats 45 km north of Amsterdam. Amsterdam is the capital city of the Netherlands.
Its the city were i was born and lived there for the first 16 years of my life.
We decided to visit the royal palace on the dam, because its going to be closed for a duration of two years for renovation.

Theres an organisation doing walkingtours through the city and we booked there.
Its a short journey by rail and a twenty minute walk from the railway station.
The Royal Palce is nowadays used by our Queen for represantations only.

Its was build during the 17th century, in a period called the golden age. At that time it was the townhall, Amsterdam was the centrepoint of trade in Europe and the old world.
Lot of rich traders wanted the city to stand out and they build this enormous building. Everything inside is a reflection of the universe with Amsterdam as centrepoint.
The guided tour only paid attention to the townhall part of the history. It took almost two hours and was very interesting.

In the main hall, the centre of the building, the common people, sailors and merchands could walk all over the world, represented, by the two halfs of the world and the northern hemisphere.
Above the entrence, you see the cityvirgin of Amsterdam. She is looking down on the world at het feet. Left of her is the Force, a women covered with a lionskin over her head and on her right Wisdom, a women equiped as Minerva, the goddess of Wisdom.

Oposite the hall is Atlas carrying the World.

The architect was Jacob van Campen and the sculpture Artus Quellien from Antwerp Belgium

DiTomasso
08-28-2005, 08:35 PM
The railway station, in the background. They are building a metro :D

The road from the Dam to the railway station.

We do a lot by bike, even cabs

DiTomasso
08-28-2005, 08:36 PM
This sign tells you: Its strictly prohibited to park bikes here.:D

We have a parkinggarage for bikes near the railway station.

DiTomasso
08-28-2005, 08:38 PM
To give an impression of the innercity

DiTomasso
08-28-2005, 08:42 PM
According to my wife i looked like a "real" tourist :D A canalboat and two pictures of the Dam (the square).

Thats is for now............

Aries
08-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Glad to see the travel report format has caught on! (I can't take credit for it though, Pathos is the real instigator there :P)

Nice information you provide there...I've been to Amsterdam before and I've seen all those places including the palace on the Dam...but I've learned new things about it from your report!

Great pictures as well btw :thumbs:

Wel maf van je om in eigen land op reis te gaan!

Mad Fox
08-28-2005, 10:08 PM
very interesting

Thundarr
08-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Great pics and info!! Thanks for sharing! :thumbs:

Die Hard
08-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Great pics and story dito. I like the Coffee Houses :D

Pure_Evil
08-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks for sharing D I :thumbs:

I'd like to see more pic though :D

FUS1ON
08-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Man you all sure get to go to some interesting places, thanks for sharing DiTomasso. :)

Make sure to look at the righthand picture in his 3rd post, WOW that's a lot of bicycles! :eek:

NightBreed
08-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Nice pics DiTomasso..keep 'em coming !!!

Slice
08-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Sweet man!

krazy
08-31-2005, 11:07 PM
Nice Di :thumbs: very interesting Post mor pics

TheUltimateWarrior
09-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Wist niet dat je ook uit ned kwam..
Ik Kom uit Nijmegen!!
Verboden fietsen te plaatsen lol!!

He Is Legend