PDA

View Full Version : IBM makes a veiled prediction?

Death-Dude
02-06-2003, 06:05 PM
IBM speaks on AMD (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7641)

I don't think it will go that way for what my opinion is worth (=nothing). It will be painful in areas to go to the 64-bit platform, but the Opteron series is designed to run 32-bit code as well. IBM has made poor predictions before, of course. I think it was in '86 that Microsoft, needing some backing in a crunch, offered to sell 30% of the company to IBM. IBM said, basically, no thanks, kids, we have our own OS we're pushing. Probably laughed and figured they'd just crush them out. Oops!

Goober
02-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Getting a little big for their britches are they?(IBM)....I don't see AMD going anywhere...Heck I'm doing my part, I buy a chip from them at least once a year.

Dissectional
02-06-2003, 08:33 PM
I have read that too. IBM may be a giant, but they have made bad decsisions in the past, and will continue to do so, like most companies. Plus, all the blue-bloods have to throw themselves into every aspect of everything.

OUTLAWS Behind You?
02-06-2003, 08:35 PM
:oooo: Like this has never happened before. :angel: :
It is sure to come as a nasty shock that while IBM has been helping AMD along it has also been sharpening the knives behind its back. :wootrock:

ME BIGGD01
02-07-2003, 09:02 AM
it's weird that that guy said that and am sure they amd is pissed after they just partnered on some big things. that guy hould be fired. i was hoping ibm would buy amd.

Death-Dude
02-08-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by ME BIGGD01@Feb 7 2003, 03:02 AM
it's weird that that guy said that and am sure they amd is pissed after they just partnered on some big things. that guy hould be fired. i was hoping ibm would buy amd.
At least from my distant, ousider view of things, that would make a pretty tough combo, I'd think. IBM could be a player in the chip market, and AMD would get more production abilities, which has hurt them at times. Interesting thought.