PDA

View Full Version : this sucks!!!

Grimmy
10-02-2005, 07:01 AM
I have a dell XPS laptop, that I use for my game, DAOC. I play my main on this unit, the display is nice n crisp, and I can see so much better, plus using my game pad, it just works well. Anyways, about a week ago, playing my game I would notice that it would lock up for 5-15 second, and then be back to normal for 2-30 min, then it would happen again.

Well I thought it was something on my rig, so I ran the spyware utilities, and virus scan, and only found 6 spyware things (which I thought was way great, and nothing in terms of virus stuff). I got rid of those, and continued playing.

Well this weekend it started again. Not knowing where to start, I don't have hardly anything installed on my laptop, so I didn't suspect anything, but checked anyways, clean. Then I grabbed the flashlight and noticed that none of my 3 fans where working. I have a speed fan utility that give temps and they were a little high, high enough the fans should be running, but felt and heard nothing.

I ended up calling Dell, and well they are going to send em a box and I have to ship it to them, and they said it could take 5-7 business days for them to fix it and send it back.

All I can say is thank goodness for my laptop cooler. Althought I have some speculation about any damage that could have happened due to heat, it better happen in the next 2 years, so I get a replacemet.

Whew! I feel better now, /rant off wtb temp rig to play daoc for 10 days :D

Caged Anger
10-02-2005, 02:19 PM
that sux man, hope you can get it fixed fast

Rivers
10-02-2005, 06:46 PM
That does suck Grimm but at least their gonna fix it. I deal with Dell all the time at work and I hate the way they make you troubleshoot your own system for them. Their saving SOOO much money having you look at your own rig to determain whats wrong. Did they have you looking at it for awhile or did they give in fast? At least their gonna fix it hope you get it back soon.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
10-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Good luck Grim, I hope they get it fixed for you.

Grimmy
10-03-2005, 06:26 PM
That does suck Grimm but at least their gonna fix it. I deal with Dell all the time at work and I hate the way they make you troubleshoot your own system for them. Their saving SOOO much money having you look at your own rig to determain whats wrong. Did they have you looking at it for awhile or did they give in fast? At least their gonna fix it hope you get it back soon.
There was nothing really to it. They had me reseat the fans, but I did that one before hand. Then they gave in, said they'd send a box to me to ship it to em n all. Phone time was maybe 20-30 min or so.

Fragetti
10-03-2005, 11:33 PM
That sux Gimmy

I just got my new Insiron 9300 and so far I love it. I wanted the XPS but just didnt want to spend the extra cabage.

Inspiron 9300,Pentium M 740 (1.73GHz/533MHz FSB)
1 17 inch True Life Wide Screen UXGA for Inspiron 9300
1 1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm, for Inspiron 9300
1 256MB NVIDIA Go 6800,for Inspiron
1 80GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 9300
1 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, English, without Media, for Inspiron
1 Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem, for Inspiron
1 8X DVD+/-RW Drive for Inspiron9300
1 Intel PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g54Mbps) for Inspiron 9300
1 Internal Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth
1 128MB USB Memory Key, 2.0
1 80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery for Inspiron 9200/9300

Its playing all my games with NP at all even BF2

I will keep an I on the fans and temp for sure. Take care all
Frag

Grimmy
10-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Nice rig there Frag! Wish I would have waited a little and gotten the 256mb vid card for mine :( It works great for the games I play. I know the XPS has heating issues, from what I read online about it.

Anyways, I'd get a laptop cooler just to be safe. I have one, but I wish the fans were located more where the fans are on the laptop. I might build me one, or revamp the one I have, so its over the intake grates.

Fragetti
10-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Yeah very good idea :)

I used a hardwear monitor last night while playing UT

read MoBo temp 52 and cpu was 43 cent. norm was mobo 42 cpu 32. I will keep an eye on it for sure. NP so far

Grimmy
10-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Well I just got this back today! WEWT!! I am so much happier now. Looks like they replaced the mobo and 2 of the 3 fans. Updated my bios, put new thermal compound on, and some latch.

Anyways it seems faster already. Just glad to have it back, felt naked without it. Will keep an eye on those temps to see how they react now :)