PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Constantly Corrupt Downloads

EXEcution
11-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Hi,

Usually I manage to sort issues that I have with my PC by searching the web via Google. Unfortunately the problem I am having seems very hard to pin point probably because it doesn't all the time.

Basically the problem is that I repeatedly keep downloading files which turn out to be corrupt. Most of the files I download are compressed so WinRAR gives me the error message saying that one or more of the files are corrupt (its usually an .exe or the largest/most important file :P). This doesn't happen to EVERY file I download and I have found that redownloading the same file after refreshing the page and deleting the file from my Temp Internet Files will sometimes make the file perfectly normal. Sometimes images (such as header images on certain webpages) also show up as being corrupt. I don't know if this is a problem with my ISP, OS, or new computer. This did NOT ever happen before on my other computer which I unfortunately cannot use right now.

What I have tried:

Reinstalling Windows XP SP2
Reinstalling WinRAR
Using an alternative browser (Firefox instead of IE)
Using a Download Manager or Accelerator

All with no luck. ANY help would be greatly appreciated because this is becoming a big annoyance for me.

Caged Anger
11-05-2005, 01:04 AM
try using 7-zip

EXEcution
11-05-2005, 02:21 PM
No that isn't the problem. The ZIP file was just an example. Almost ALL the files I download turn up to be corrupt. Very strange!

Caged Anger
11-06-2005, 03:07 AM
it sounds like you have a bug lurking somewhere that is stopping your download just shy of completion

EXEcution
11-06-2005, 01:34 PM
it sounds like you have a bug lurking somewhere that is stopping your download just shy of completion
I scanned with AVG, it found a trojan horse quarantined it and the problem still persists. I am going to reinstall windows once I get my new memory and see if that fixes the issue.

OUTLAWS Tip
11-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Did you re-install your motherboard drivers and all the one's you need from the cd that came with it?

EXEcution
11-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Did you re-install your motherboard drivers and all the one's you need from the cd that came with it?
Yup my nForce mobo drivers are up to date just as everything else.:(

Caged Anger
11-06-2005, 03:18 PM
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm

use this online scanner, it often has found bugs when AVG has skipped a beat

OUTLAWS Tip
11-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Hmm, Nv firewall installed from motherboard drivers? Looks like it is causing some problems.

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=12793

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t6313.html

EXEcution
11-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Hmm, Nv firewall installed from motherboard drivers? Looks like it is causing some problems.

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=12793

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t6313.html
Thanks for those links Tip. All I wanted was to make sure I wasn't the only one having the problem. I just unistalled the firewall and networking software, trying to download some files, so far so good. Gonna try upgrading my ethernet drivers too. :thumbs:

EDIT: I'm going to go out on a limb and say that everything looks to be okay for now. I just downloaded the file that was giving me the most problems and kept showing up as being corrupt (ut2004 demo)

Thanks alot Tip, I really appreciate your help!

PS: I start my new job tomorrow so I'll e-mail you how it went afterwards. :P

JohnDempsey
11-10-2011, 07:09 PM
No that isn't the problem. The ZIP file was just an example. Almost ALL the files I download turn up to be corrupt. Very strange!
For restore .zip archives try imanasshole.com The tool can help you to repair .zip archives from CD, DVD, floppy disks, Zip drives. Software works with big damaged .zip data larger than 4GB, it launches under low system requirements.

JIMINATOR
11-11-2011, 01:09 AM
thank you for your introductory spam message. no doubt for all the sites you join you can find a relevant post to necro to if you search back far enough.

ME BIGGD01
11-14-2011, 10:32 PM
I think Tip is on to something regarding the nforce firewall as I had this problem a long time ago with the nforce 4 chipset.

Make sure time is correct.
Scan your computer with a program called malwarebytes which is freeware. It's been a nice tool cleaning things out the usual virus software doesn't catch. Never trust an onine virus scanner. Just don't.
Reset your Internet explorer settings to default.
Make sure browser is not being closed before file that was downloaded is completed being scanned.
Depending on the Nforce chipset, it is better to change the the IDE controller driver to Microsoft standard.

JIMINATOR
11-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Biggs, this thread is from 2005 :)
Some dude joined and looked for a thread to spam his website

ME BIGGD01
11-15-2011, 04:17 AM
LOL, and here I got excited as much as shocked there was some sort of activity here. F'ing retards in society. I honetsly was like WTF, I missed this stuff. HAha, I was also like WTF is he still running xp for. I'm getting old and slow it seems and life seems boring that I fell for it.