PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-10-2005, 07:59 PM
In the last couple of days my url address bar has taken a long time to drop down. An hour glass shows for around 10 seconds after I hit the arrow (circled in picture).
I have installed mozilla fearing that my other browser has been hijacked.

Have any of you experienced this?

I fired up my other pc, and the internet explorer address bar worked fine.

MassacreAL
11-10-2005, 08:06 PM
im sure if youll reformat everything will be ok. but i guess you dont want to reformat. hm and i can see youve got zonealarm firewall, one of the best, so i think problem will be in your windows or internet explorer. lets wait for guys whos really knows computers

FUS1ON
11-10-2005, 08:33 PM
lets wait for guys whos really knows computers

Mass while you have the spoon out, take some of that medicine yourself instead of spaming guesses to a solution. Sorry about that but every time I see someone spout out a variation of the stupid phrase "I don't but you could reformat/fdisk/reinstall to fix it", I want to strangle someone. Those types of post will be deleted in the future. :rolleyes:

HPC I don't know how to fix it myself either but my post is a little deeper than "so i think problem will be in your windows or internet explorer" (You think?) and you have probably already done the most common things like running a AV scan (not the quicky version, the DEEP one if yours has that setting), run both Ad-Aware & Spybot S&D, Clearing the browser cache, etc....

Something I happened upon (Recommended by my ISP Time Warner/Roadrunner) when trying to fix a problem on my dad's computer a few months back that found a bunch of stuff the others missed was this free program by Ewido: http://www.ewido.net/en/ Give it a try, at this point, why not?

SALvation
11-10-2005, 08:52 PM
HPC - download this tool and it will show you everything that is installed and hooked into IE:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

I had heard of Hijack This but never actually tried it until this weekend. I was able to save my brother-in-law's PC from a reformat and his PC was in very bad shape. Hijack This gives you a nice list of everything that's installed in a number of places in your PC, both good and bad. To get rid of unwanted programs or hooks, just check the box next to it and it's gone. Two huge thumbs up from me.

MassacreAL
11-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Mass while you have the spoon out, take some of that medicine yourself instead of spaming guesses to the solution. Sorry about that but every time I see someone spout out a variation of the stupid phrase "I don't but you could reformat/fdisk/reinstall to fix it", I want to strangle someone. Those types of post will be deleted in the future. :rolleyes:

ahh Shogun i know ppl who tell this but they didnt append that they are noobs in computers. and also HPC is not my very close friend and i dont how good he knows computers... hmm guess continue of my letter i dont want to get my post deleted

Caged Anger
11-10-2005, 09:57 PM
when si the last time u cleared your history? If a lot of addy's build up, it would no doubt slow down the bar

(best i can offer)

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Thank you all.
Sho, I will try that program.

SAL, I've ran "hijack this" in the past, but never followed through as far as posting the results on their web site (to be reviewed for suggestions). I'll use it if Sho's program doesn't solve my issue.
Again, thank you all for your suggestions, and or comments.

FUS1ON
11-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Hey bud here's something from back in 2003 and he was using Win98 w/IE6, but the guy sounds like he had the same problem as you.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress/browse_thread/thread/74d11b2cf98921a1/6d469f274fc9623b%236d469f274fc9623b?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=2&num=3

BobtheCkroach
11-11-2005, 05:04 AM
If you run Avast, it has the option of doing the scan on boot...this runs before the virus/spyware can run (hopefully)...some malware when it boots into memory will remove itself from the HDD so it can't be detected, then write itself back on a shutdown....

avast will check this on bootup before this can happen - saved my butt a few weeks ago!

I would recommend that.

If nothing else, I would recommend you download and use Firefox instead of that antiquated beast you've got running in that picture...:D

SHO's last link looks like a good bet though.

For the record, Caged...I don't think clearing the history should do it...the address bar simply tells the last 20 urls you've typed in and hit enter one...at least, that's all mine has ever done. So it's just gonna load 20 lines and quit...I don't think that'll ever get real intensive (and if it does, you probably have bigger problems than just IE...that's fairly simple IO...) I suppose, though if it got REALLY big, the opening of the field to read the lines *could* get bad, but most people have history clear after x days, so it should keep itself in check.

Couple of things to counter that (this is a bit off topic, but at least useful, and potentially could help you HPC):

Tools->Internet Options->Settings...I don't know how IE decides how much room to reserve for temp internet files, but by default it's something like 1187 meg...good lord! I usually change this to like 10 or 20 meg. I don't need a gig in past images/pages...

There's also an option in Tools->Internet Options->Advanced Tab called Empty Temporary Internet Files when browser is closed...unless you're using dialup, it's not going to kill you to redownload those pages and images instead of caching them all on your hard drive.

Those probably won't help you at all, HPC, but in the off-chance they do, that'd be great! :thumbs:

Hope everything works out!

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-11-2005, 06:17 AM
Thanks Sho and Bob, I'll keep working on this when I return home (from work).
I will post my progress/results.
Again, thank you for your efforts. :)

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Well my "I've been haxzored by a trojan" theory fell flat. I went into Tools, clicked on delete history, and that did the trick.
Sorry about my paranoid reaction.
Thanks again to all who responded.

Die Hard
11-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Sometimes it's the simple things that work. Glad you got it worked out. :thumbs:

Pure_Evil
11-11-2005, 12:16 PM
keep this in mind, I've learned about 2 new programs that may help me in the future because of this thread ;) :thumbs:

DiTomasso
11-11-2005, 02:02 PM
HPC - download this tool and it will show you everything that is installed and hooked into IE:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

I had heard of Hijack This but never actually tried it until this weekend. I was able to save my brother-in-law's PC from a reformat and his PC was in very bad shape. Hijack This gives you a nice list of everything that's installed in a number of places in your PC, both good and bad. To get rid of unwanted programs or hooks, just check the box next to it and it's gone. Two huge thumbs up from me.

Its a great program, using it for years :thumbs: :thumbs:

Also using to check about the findings of Hijackthis:

castlecops (http://www.castlecops.com)

they have a nice list of : Startups and CLSID

Caged Anger
11-12-2005, 10:37 PM
No spam

Siron Ex
11-13-2005, 08:08 PM
No Spam

MassacreAL
11-13-2005, 09:00 PM