PDA

View Full Version : Newbie WoW help needed...

Sirc
12-05-2005, 01:47 AM
I'm playing the free 10-day trial (so no manual), and I have a level 6 undead warlock. My question is, how is the economy handled in WoW? The mobs are dropping all kinds of thinks that are probably capable of either being converted to something useful, or sold. I assume. I haven't seen any merchants or auction houses yet though. Maybe I just haven't traveled far enough from my starting point yet.

So how is the economy set up in WoW? Can you learn crafting skills? Are there merchants? If not then I'm not sure why all of these materials are being dropped by the mobs. :hmmm:

It's a fun game though! :thumbs:

Morpheus
12-05-2005, 02:07 AM
I've never played, but you can learn crafting. There are also merchants, and you can sell lots of the useless crap you loot in the beginning for like 3 copper and stuff. It tends to help you buy the beginner's armor from the merchants. Depending on if you started Alliance or Horde, there's merchants in the little outpost where you start, and usually a trainer of your profession near there to get skills. The auction houses come later, usually in the first big city once you arrive. Someone said they're implementing the AH (Auction House) into all of the major cities or something, but I don't know.

Have fun, I can't afford to play it (stupid monthly fees)
~Morph

Sirc
12-05-2005, 02:16 AM
Aha! Thank you. That's what I get for not talking to all of the NPCs in the starting area. I found the trainer, and now I'll search for the merchant. Dang, I've thrown so much away already because I didn't have room to carry it. :banghead:

SALvation
12-05-2005, 04:45 AM
There are auction houses in the main city depending on if you are horde or alliance. Which one did you choose?

Sirc
12-05-2005, 05:41 AM
Learn a trade....skinning is nice because you can skin the mobs you kill (and skin mobs that others have left behind) and sell it for some cash.

I would also suggest becoming a Tailor...that way you can make your own armor (and bags) from some of the drops and the skinning.

To learn these skills, just find the trainer and talk with him...it'll cost a little bit of money to learn the trade.

Now that I'm a high level tailor..I'm able to spend 30g on materials to craft a 70g item.

Thanks! I finally got out of the newbie area and made it to Brill. Now the game is starting to open up and offer more opportunities. Do warlocks advance to leather, or does their armor stay cloth throughout?

Is skinning a trade? I saw that there were (whatever the wolves are called) and they didn't drop anything, but it said they could be skinned. Does a skinner make leather armor too? Or just...skin things?

Warlock is pretty cool, and seems like a good solo character. Although my imp is sort of fragile. I can take on 2 mobs the same level as me and win fairly easily. I accidently took on 3 at the same time once and just barely won, but they killed my imp. :bawling: Not that it really matters, I can just make a new one, but still...:mad: :D

Sirc
12-05-2005, 03:08 PM
BTW...did you get your free trial disc in the latest Maxim :)

LOL no, I downloaded it from Fileplanet. :P

Are your characters horde or alliance?

SALvation
12-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Warlocks are excellent solo characters. I got mine up to level 52 and have grouped less than a dozen times total.

Sirc
12-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Warlocks are excellent solo characters. I got mine up to level 52 and have grouped less than a dozen times total.

Do warlocks get different and or stonger pets as they level?

Also, I'm seeing some NPCs on horseback now. Do players get to ride horses or some other type of beast eventually?

SALvation
12-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Warlocks get a free horse at level 40. All other classes except Paladins have to pay for them. You get a faster horse at level 60 which all classes have to pay for.

And yes Warlocks get better pets as they level. Here is a list:

http://www.thottbot.com/?ce=Warlock

Also, you eventually learn spells which allow you to enslave enemies and use them as your pets.