PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about torque...

Sirc
12-27-2005, 07:22 AM
I was out in my Suburban (which I'm selling :bawling: ), and I was at a stop sign and decided to punch it and count the traditional 1 - 1 thousand, 2 - 1 thousand, etc. seconds, and it got to 60mph well before I hit 4 seconds. As much as this surprised me, it didn't really after I thought about it. I knew the sumbiatch kicked ass. Let's face it. The vehicle was designed to tow a 6000lb camper up a mountain in 95 deg weather without breaking a sweat. Getting on the highway from an on-ramp is a joy with it - I have to be careful not to hit the car that passed in front of me before I accelerated. And I knew that it snapped my head back harder then my 70 Chevelle ever did when I hit it. I just never really thought to time it. That dang thing's curb wieght is like 2-3 times that of a Mustang. What is a Mustang's 0-60 time?

God bless the Vortec V-8 engine. I have a guy that wants to buy it Friday. I'm having second thoughts. He wants to buy it because he already has a Suburban, and someone t-boned his wife's Ford Taurus with a stupid little Geo, and totalled the Taurus and now his wife is having lower abdomen pains. If that little Geo would have t-boned my Suburban I'm not sure I would have noticed that there was a tiny little car stuck under my Suburban until I got home and parked in the driveway.

It really makes me think about what my priorities are. My oldest son will get his license this spring. If I sell the Suburban, he will be driving a Saturn wagon. Granted, Saturns have a good safety rating but...it's hard to compete safety-wise with a 3 ton tank. They don't compare big-assed SUVs with cars in the safety tests. If they did, the Suburban would get a 5-star rating, and every other car would get a ROFL-rating. Dang. Tough decision. And I have to make it by Friday. :(

Ra\/en
12-27-2005, 07:30 AM
my civic has 115hp... it hums like a bumblebee....

and saves me lots of gas $... other then that though.. it chugs goin up hills

Asian Invasian
12-27-2005, 07:31 AM
keep the suburb for your kid, im sure it will do better in the snow for him too ;)

Die Hard
12-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Buy a proper car :P

solid snake295
12-27-2005, 10:46 AM
I was at a stop sign and decided to punch it and count the traditional 1 - 1 thousand, 2 - 1 thousand, etc. seconds, and it got to 60mph well before I hit 4 seconds.

were you studdering? :P

suburbans are nice but if your gonna give it to your kid make sure he knows how much its gonna cost him in gas and insurance.

Pure_Evil
12-27-2005, 12:38 PM
OK Bro, old guy answering the question in YOUR best interest.

How responsible is your son? and his friends??????:hmmm:

I used to work with a sharp kid, he was 18, Dad gave him his suburban, Jay would come in bragging about 4 wheeling with the suburban with 7 of his friends and a 1/4 keg into the woods for a party :D

:hmmm: 0-60 in 4 seconds and I'm in it packed with my homies and the music kicking :jammin::drink::jammin:

NightBreed
12-27-2005, 03:11 PM
I've got a clean 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis for sale..Nice big car for the new driver in the family, go off the road, take down a few guardrails and steer it right back on again !!

Cheap !!!

Aries
12-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Buy a proper car :P

:wootrock:

Death Engineer
12-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Unless your son is filthy rich, I wouldn't put him through the pain of putting gas into a vehicle that large. Statistics say that your son is more likely to run into someone else than the other way around. So maybe you should get one of those Euro cars that looks like a toy. ;)

0-60 in 4s? I'd like to see that. Even if true, I bet that sucks about a gallon and a half out of the tank.

Sirc
12-27-2005, 07:10 PM
were you studdering? :P

LOL, I must have been. 4 seconds can't be right. I think it should be more like 9 secs. :rolleyes:

Die Hard
12-28-2005, 10:30 AM
So maybe you should get one of those Euro cars that looks like a toy. ;)You mean like this one? :rolleyes:

http://www.justsportandleisure.com/images/Product2/TTC2008.jpg

Death Engineer
12-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Uhmm.. No. I was thinking of the one more like a 2 seater. The kind that Steve Urkel drove in Family Matters. ;)

Aries
12-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Uhmm.. No. I was thinking of the one more like a 2 seater. The kind that Steve Urkel drove in Family Matters. ;)

Know your classics: the BMW Isetta, licensed from an Italian refrigerator company

:wootrock:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1950-1959/1957-BMW-Isetta-300-red-fa-lr.jpg

Die Hard
12-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Aha, the classic Bubble car :)

Death Engineer
12-29-2005, 04:08 AM
Exactly!