PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

Die Hard
01-06-2006, 03:37 PM
A friend of mine has a wireless router and he wants 2 laptops to run off it.

Does he have to constantly have one connected via an ethernet cable or can they both be totally wireless? :confused:

Pure_Evil
01-06-2006, 03:58 PM
both can be wireless

Die Hard
01-06-2006, 04:03 PM
How? The manual for the router says connect it to the PC with the enclosed ethernet cable?

Sirc
01-06-2006, 04:45 PM
How? The manual for the router says connect it to the PC with the enclosed ethernet cable?

Are you sure it doesn't say to connect it to the modem with the enclosed ethernet cable? Anyway, most wireless routers can be used as both wireless and wired. It will work. The laptops will both find the router signal. So your friend will have 3 wireless connections - his 2 laptops and the guy sitting in the van parked in front of his house stealing his wireless bandwidth. :P

Tell your friend to take the time to set up the security features. ;)

FUS1ON
01-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Die Hard if you can find out the make and model of your bud's router, post it and maybe we can find the manual online to see what it says.

I've never messed with a wireless so someone else would have to help you.

Grimmy
01-06-2006, 06:57 PM
I have a wireless router, and have 2 laptops on it. Onlything that's connected all the time would be the modem, unless I leave my laptop on, then it would be connected all the time. There's a live signal throuhout my house all the time, and yes if you were to sit in my driveway, you could connect to the internet (I live in the country so it doesn't matter for leeches, I just have to look out the window to see em :P )

Caged Anger
01-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Die Hard, more than one computer has to be able to work off an wireless router. How would hot spots work if they didn't?

SALvation
01-06-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm guessing its just an option to connect the cable to the computer if you want a wired connection. Most router manuals assume you are connecting at least 1 wired PC, but it's not a requirement.

Die Hard
01-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Okay, I'll tell him what you said and I'll let you know what happens. Thanks very much. :thumbs: