PDA

View Full Version : Sharing internet

TurlockJC
01-08-2006, 06:58 AM
hi GM :wave:

Yes I am trying to share my internet with a computer that is 70 feet away from my computer that has a modem.( btw i am not trying to share internet with my neighbor; this is still part of my house. is for my second computer):D

Also a long time ago I bought a router hoping to be able to share my internet but I never got it working. i used to get a little signal but I never got it to stay stable. It will go away every couple of minutes :(

My router is a Belkin 2.4ghz-802.11g wireless router

Also the computer with the modem is a old hp with windows ME( i know it stinks) and the other computer has windows xp with a wireless network card from belkin too

so what would be the best way to share my internet :)

thanks in advance :thumbs:

TurlockJC
01-08-2006, 07:02 AM
btw I almost forgot system specs for both systems are

for the computer with the modem
p3 1ghz
256ram
40gb HD
intelgrated video
windows ME

The other one
AMD XP 2500
1gb pc 2700 ram
Nvidia 6600 gt
80gb HD
windows xp sp2

JIMINATOR
01-08-2006, 08:26 AM
the best way is to get 100' of ethernet cable and hook them together. lacking that, if you still want wireless, you can either try getting a high gain antenna for the router (if they make them for belkin), or a new MIMO router + laptop card. also, they used to have ethernet adapters that connect to power lines and also phone lines. I think these have disappeared with wireless, but you can look for them...

TurlockJC
01-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I am going to look for the high gain antena first, but if I am can't find it; I am just going to get the 100 foot cable :)

thanks for the reply JIM

Caged Anger
01-08-2006, 04:04 PM
It sounds like whatever is in the walls in-between the router and the receiver is blocking most if nto all your signal. Before you go purchasing anything, try cupping a piece of aluminum foil around the router antenna and concentrating the output in the direction of your other computer.

It sounds cheesy, but I have heard it can work quite well ;)

TurlockJC
01-08-2006, 07:40 PM
LOL I am so desperate to have internet that I'll would try anything:D

JIMINATOR
01-08-2006, 09:32 PM
http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

Enjoy

Siron Ex
01-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Good Link :)

Caged Anger
01-10-2006, 07:32 PM
any luck with this yet?

TurlockJC
01-10-2006, 10:37 PM
any luck with this yet?

Actually I followed JIm's advice; i went I bought 100ft of cable and I am running it through the house right now. I'll let you know what happen when I am done :)

JIMINATOR
01-10-2006, 11:37 PM
eh, there's a slight problem with that idea, but it will get you the best connection. if you have carpeted rooms, you should be able to hide the cable between the carpet and baseboards, just use a large dull tool to squeeze it in. the big open spaces though... just make sure nobody can kill themselves...

TurlockJC
01-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Btw I forgot to mention something, other computer is outside my house. In my backyard to be exact.We have a little room back there;thats where I ran the cable through. I put it on the side of the roof where nobody could reach it and mess with it.

It was a pain to run through, :mad: but is going to be worth it:D

So now all there is to do is setup the router and both computers:thumbs:

TurlockJC
01-11-2006, 01:50 AM
I just finish setting up the sofware for both oh yeah it works great. My 3mb connection rocks:thumbs:

here is a first screenie of some online gaming

EXEcution
01-11-2006, 02:17 AM
I just finish setting up the sofware for both oh yeah it works great. My 3mb connection rocks:thumbs:

here is a first screenie of some online gaming
To clarify I uh won that game. :P
GJ on getting setub btw.

TurlockJC
01-11-2006, 02:36 AM
To clarify I uh won that game. :P
GJ on getting setub btw.

ty and gg exe:thumbs:

GOTHIKO
01-15-2006, 05:56 AM
..............spam.............. :P

JC, how much did you pay the person to run the cable?

lol :D

TurlockJC
01-15-2006, 06:41 AM
..............spam.............. :P

JC, how much did you pay the person to run the cable?

lol :D

shhh!!!! dont said it to loud:mad: :P