PDA

View Full Version : Command Line Won't CD to Second HDD

Caged Anger
01-19-2006, 02:59 AM
I really like using the command line version of chkdsk /f to check by drive for bad spots (old habit)

Found it odd that ever since i put the new drive in, i cann't switch over to its directory in the prompt. No error or anything, it just goes back to C:\ :confused:

JIMINATOR
01-19-2006, 04:07 AM
try D:

BobtheCkroach
01-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah, what Jim said.

You can't use the cd command to switch to another drive. Mainly b/c somewhere, hidden deep, you're not actually changing directories...you're mounting a new drive. Windows hides the "mount" concept fairly well, but if you ever use an older version of Linux, you'll find this stuff in a hurry...in old linux, you have to type "mnt <drive>". Anyways, d: mounts the D drive.

JIMINATOR
01-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Uh.... yeah. Linux has to mount drives in order to see them (to insert them into the file tree), windows mounts them at boot time (except removeables). the C:/D: is to change the current working drive. You can skip the command and say... dir d: or whatever.

BobtheCkroach
01-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Uh.... yeah. Linux has to mount drives in order to see them (to insert them into the file tree), windows mounts them at boot time (except removeables). the C:/D: is to change the current working drive. You can skip the command and say... dir d: or whatever.

Oh...i stand corrected.

When I typed up that first bit, the whole time I was thinking "I think, anyways"...probably should have conveyed that onto the post...hmmm...:banghead:

Caged Anger
01-20-2006, 01:06 AM
ahha, makes sense now guys and works great, thx a bunch