PDA

View Full Version : The good of games

MassacreAL
02-06-2006, 05:24 PM
found this: http://www.modulo26.net/2006/02/the_good_of_games.html
tell me what do you think about that

Foremost among these is the world of computers—a fact that should come as no surprise given the design language that video games and computer applications share. In fact, gamers tend to display an inherent interest in technology, and exhibit advanced computer literacy. They have the ability to intuit complex application interfaces: deciphering the iconic symbolism, navigating all manner of menus.

Corporate America is taking note of this phenomenon. Chip Luman, a VP of human resources for Charles Schwab, believes that gamers make good employees and “can handle more information, can synthesize more complex data, solve operational design problems, lead change and bring organizations through change.”

This learning process often continues outside of the game. Beyond a game’s instruction manual, the player can learn more by researching internet sites devoted to the game, or by purchasing a strategy guide at a bookseller. To continue the Pokémon example, to date there exist 49 books dedicated to Pokémon strategy—most over 100 pages long. A web search for “pokemon strategy” yields 2,030,000 results.

FUS1ON
02-06-2006, 09:16 PM
My answers are yes and no ...

If you are asking do I think computer games are good for kids?
No, because some Little Johnnys can score high in Pokemon, but some Little Johnnys can't even spell Pokemon. Ever heard of the phrase "monkey see, monkey do"? They see other players misspell words for example "ur" instead of "your" and other leetspeak words and then they start misspelling words in real life situation because that is how they have gotten used to spelling them.

No, I feel that it makes them lazy and inactive which leads to being overweight and bad physical health. As an example, the majority of Americans (including myself) are over weight and out of shape. Children see us and emulate us.

No, because I feel some parents allowed to their children to devote too much time online instead of interacting face to face with others their own age. Later in life this leads to poor skills in dealing with others.

Yes, I feel that it helps to increase their ability to handle multiple tasks at one time.

It appears from my answers that the negatives outweighs the positives but I believe good can come from gaming as long as it is in moderation. Once you start to cut off your real life friends and family just so you can gain that extra level in your favorite game or getting that "uber drop" in your favorite MMORPG, then you have got a real problem. I'll admit i've been there before and in some ways i'm still there.

That's my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

MassacreAL
02-06-2006, 10:11 PM
It appears from my answers that the negatives outweighs the positives but I believe good can come from gaming as long as it is in moderation. Once you start to cut off your real life friends and family just so you can gain that extra level in your favorite game or getting that "uber drop" in your favorite MMORPG, then you have got a real problem. I'll admit i've been there before and in some ways i'm still there.
thats all very true. im playing computer games since my 6 years old almost every day, and i can tell you that was sometimes damn hard choice between watching TV with my family(i hate TV, its soo boring, you are only watching, brrr) and playing some offline computer game(i had no internet).

unfortunately i cant say if i would be dumber without playing computer games, but i think so.

im also wondering why is San andreas AO(above 21 years old), only becouse of hot coffee mod. without this mod, it would be M(17years). this secret mod adds only virtual sex to game. are judges really that dumb?

FUS1ON
02-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Sorry little buddy, but I'm not even going to comment on the virtual sex issue. :D

MassacreAL
02-06-2006, 10:20 PM
lol ok, but it seems like you are only person interested in it. and we all are gamers!!

Caged Anger
02-06-2006, 11:14 PM
oh dang, late tyo another thread

yes, definately a very good thing for a child's mind looking to grow. I know i wouldn't have learned all i have about computers if i didn't start gaming. I have also had my entire learning style changed and definately for the better. My problem solving skills are through the roof and i can only attribute this sudden success to my increase in playing time devoted to skill-oriented games.

Free Styler
02-06-2006, 11:32 PM
I for one will say that it's better interacting with a 19" monitor and actully
thinking your way thru something then watching a 32" monitor(tv) and watching
advertisements or dumb tv shows.Tho there are a few good shows or channels like discovery and stuff like that i think that 70% of americans spend most
of their hours in front of a tv thus becoming as fat or lazy as gamers.

The problem is moderation...and a big one at that.

Example i switched job recently and had 10 days for my vacation time.
1.What i had planned = training , going out , and having some fun.
What i did...15 hours of ut2004 a day for 10 days straight lol.

am i addictid to games..yes..i'm i conscious of it..yes, problem solved
Not everybodys case.

Havent played since and to be honest will not play for a while like i always do.
I go for a week straight of gaming every 3 months or so and it does affect my
behaviour at work in a negative way in the sence that i just want go hs the mf that beat me the day before lol.And i only think of strategies and what i could of done.. what the guy was thinking ect.Not very productive thinking if you ask me for work that is.

But then again is thinking about work productive? Well the only yes into the whole sheme is money.Otherwise i would game harcore everyday with a training schedule and a few social gatherings here and there and that would be a perfect life for me.I'm just so damn happy when i play games but the opposite comes a reality when i'm working while in a gaming spree.So all and all i try and accept life as it is.

But everything is in the perception of things.Would i rather see people game then watch tv...yes.Is it a positive thing..yes..no worse then all the crap society has to offer for profits for bigdogs and multicoperations.

Nick
02-06-2006, 11:49 PM
when I played Sam I was fat and lazy ...

but I decided to diet and start training...

now Im in the best shape of my life and have lost 70 pounds...

now I play UT2004... I never stopped gaming ...

getting fit doesnt have to take your leasure time... you can have both ...

its attitude that counts... !!

:D

BobtheCkroach
02-06-2006, 11:52 PM
I think it has a positive effect. For a long time, the only computer we had in my house was my dad's. I was allowed to put exactly 1 game on, and he had to do it. I wasn't allowed any sort of install freedom. Finally, I decided that I wanted my own. He pointed me to a pile of parts in the barn and said "I'm not wasting my time. If you can make it work, have a blast." I dug through, pillaged, and played and when all was said and done, I had a working 40 mhz computer! Granted it was nothing to write home about, but from there I learned how to work with DOS, how HW works, at least a little bit, and many other things. For the next few years, I kept my eyes & ears open, and upgraded whenever I could. This was the fuel that led me to computer science, and it all started from me wanting to be able to game more freely. If I hadn't been a gamer, I wouldn't have cared to have a computer in my room until I was in college, and then it would have been just for work, which probably wouldn't have been CS.

Troubleshooting, while annoying and aggitating, is quite a fun experience, especially if you have a a friend or 2 and can just have a good time.

Even if troubleshooting HW and SW is not what you want to do for the rest of your life, it can be a valueable tool for landing a decent Best Buy / Circuit City job during high school. The experience you can gain in invaluable, if you ask me.

Anyways, I agree w/ what others have said. Moderation is a good thing - playing games for 15 hours a day isn't something a parent should let their kid do. But I definitely think that all the gaming can be a platform for learning.

Heck, my brother started playing silly games like Pajama Sam and Billy the Bus or whatever that kid stuff is. He was quickly sharp as a tack - we taught him multiplication before he was done with first grade!

So yeah, I think gaming helps, but just like any other goodie, it's gotta be controlled.

EXEcution
02-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Good in what respect?

Gaming hasn't helped me become a better student, but it hasn't really detracted from my education either. Indirectly it lead to my interest in programming, video editing, and a bit of graphic art. But I chose to take that path, most gamers play for fun and are not looking to learn anything new.

The only exception I can think of is Fatal1ty who starting gaming when he was young and his hobby eventually grew into something he could make a profit from.

Gaming doesn't really make a person because it has a limited universe and one must continually hop in and out of that universe. I cannot connect with gaming in everyday life and I doubt that the majority of the people here can.

JIMINATOR
02-07-2006, 09:46 PM
gaming has definately helped me. I now know to smash any crates and boxes that I may come upon, and also if I ever get stuck in a building to look for ventilation shafts to climb out of, and also to avoid shooting explosive barrels. for cash, i can now beat up hoes, and for weapon upgrades I go and put the smack down on drug dealers. this all has made me a much better person. :thumbs: