PDA

View Full Version : New Beta drivers add h.264 to geforce6x+

ME BIGGD01
03-03-2006, 05:45 PM
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_32bit_84.12.html

I have not tried them yet but will do so and see if I noticed any difference. Please post your results after you test.

BobtheCkroach
03-03-2006, 06:41 PM
um...what does that mean? :P

I know it's somethign to do w/ high def, but that's all i know.

Can you provide more explanation on what this actually means?

ME BIGGD01
03-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Pretty much exactly what you said but Nvidia sold these cards hyping this and the cards really do not have or have not had the support. the newer cards are suppose to be able to decode hd but that has not been the case.

EXEcution
03-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Some HD videos from Apple using the h.264 codec.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/

BobtheCkroach
03-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Alright, so...prior to updating the drivers, I shouldn't be able to watch the video's exe linked to, but after updating I should?

Edit: Nope that can't be what it means b/c I catch watch those videos now...

ME BIGGD01
03-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Output it to an hd set and you will see what I mean.

ME BIGGD01
03-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Which file are you referring to?

BobtheCkroach
03-03-2006, 08:40 PM
I clicked on exe's link, then clicked on the first file, the one w/ 3 women on a wall.

So basically it's not that I can't play the h.264 stuff, it's that i'm not playing it to it's potential? And this would only apply if I stop porting it out to my standard crt monitor and instead port it out to an HD ready display?

ME BIGGD01
03-03-2006, 08:54 PM
That is correct but were you able to download the 1080 file?

ME BIGGD01
03-03-2006, 09:01 PM
I am having a problem with running any of those files. I do not want to install qt 7 because of theitunes crap. I hate they try to force that crap on you and they bash Microsoft for such a thing. I hate Apple.

ME BIGGD01
03-03-2006, 09:06 PM
I am sorry Bob, I don't think what you are is being decodedby hardware but using software. Besides unless your screen supports HD you will not get the full quality. I think the quality is fine as it is and clear.

BobtheCkroach
03-03-2006, 09:09 PM
I didn't try the 1080, I was running the 480? Now I can't run any of them, QT7 reports a buffer overflow.

I personally love Itunes & hate quicktime - I know your pain, just backwards.

BobtheCkroach
03-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Alright, so if I understand your correctly, since I don't have an HD display, while it's cool taht nvidia is supportly the technology finally, it doesn't do me any good, personally?

ME BIGGD01
03-03-2006, 09:19 PM
That is correct.

Want my honest opinion? HD is BS!!! Sure the quality is better but you take video uncompressed and run it, it looks great.

As far as the drivers actually working, I need to test it on an HD set. These are qt files so it will run the video on any video card as long as you have the correct codecs which are software based.

Anyway, did you like the video song beneath the song? I thought it was great and it brought me a flashback to when MTV was actually a good channel to watch. I love that girls eyes in the video. I am going to play it again as it seems to relax me.

BobtheCkroach
03-03-2006, 09:36 PM
That is correct.

Want my honest opinion? HD is BS!!! Sure the quality is better but you take video uncompressed and run it, it looks great.

As far as the drivers actually working, I need to test it on an HD set. These are qt files so it will run the video on any video card as long as you have the correct codecs which are software based.

Anyway, did you like the video song beneath the song? I thought it was great and it brought me a flashback to when MTV was actually a good channel to watch. I love that girls eyes in the video. I am going to play it again as it seems to relax me.

I keep getting a buffer overflow now when I try. But i'll give it a shot again sometime soon.

ME BIGGD01
03-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Well regardless of looking to see if HD works other then dvi ouputting to an HD set, the card I have does not have a true output. I could go out component which is a converted cable (svideo plus composite= component) it still will not offer the best look. This is why I think HD is BS right now because they do not have it all together and this includes the cable companies that offer HD television when they are not really pushing the HD signal to best quality or the cabling is downgrading the signals.

I am currently working on a project for Madison Square Garden (MSG) on a unannounced LED display which I will be there Tuesday to test out specific software to run full motion video on it. These things arer all over Times Square but this display is different. We had to sign a NDA while working on it (actually I didnt but the company I am doing the work for did so I guess I couldnt get in trouble if I blabbed.) . I am actually breaking my cherry with this tuff since I have never dealt with these huge screens but the weird thing is you guys would not believe the actual resolution or pixel range of these things. I have been doing a crash course on this stuff and have been creating uncompressed video to run on it using Avid Studio. I am really not into all of it but I guess it could be fun since the company has supplied unlimited amounts of hardware for my pleasure. I look at it all and honestly have no clue what the hell it does. I will have to take a picture of the studio just to show you all the different things.

BobtheCkroach
03-03-2006, 09:49 PM
wow! That's pretty cool sounding!

I guess I don't really know enough about HD to have a knowledgable opinion. All I know that HD TV's will do today's standards just the same (obviously), and they may or may not eventually provide added bonus, so I'm asking for an HD TV on my wedding registries :P :D

Sirc
03-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Since I don't have an HD television, I really don't care about this feature. Until I encounter an issue with the drivers I'm already using, I'm not even going to try the latest release. If it ain't fixed, don't break it. Erm..yeah.

ME BIGGD01
03-04-2006, 10:52 PM
After testing these drivers, I would say they are good. Added 50 points to 3dmark score. Have not had any issue with games. So I give them an ok to install and safe. The onlything sthat sucked was I had to wait the 10 minutes for BF2 to optimize the new drivers which it does when you change your settings. EA sucks!!!

BlackWolf
03-05-2006, 01:06 PM
they fixed the in game freezing in SS2 if u got dual core ;)
and they seem pretty good so fare