PDA

View Full Version : In Search Of...

Bingo
03-08-2006, 03:09 AM
So I bought a new headset.

Sadly, I did not double check and make sure it was a USB headset, and it is not.

Standard type with the dual 3.5mm connectors.

I pretty much need a USB headset with my current setup.

I searched around for a 3.5mm to USB adapter, and the only one I could find was $50.00.

Surely there has to be a cheaper one out there?? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks as always -

Bingo

BobtheCkroach
03-08-2006, 07:57 AM
I tried doing the same thing last year, and basically found that no, there isn't a cheap converter anywhere...

I actually found a pair of headphone that were advertised as USB headphones but were actually 3.5's w/ a converter bundled for less than any converter i could find...I found that at Circuit City, but I know it was still way more than I was willing to pay.

Pure_Evil
03-08-2006, 12:27 PM
take the headphones back and get these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106150

I couldn't find a adapter for you :(

Caged Anger
03-08-2006, 07:25 PM
given your present circumstances, you may have to change your setup a bit but you should be able to do so. Think of it as rearranging your fung-shwei :-)
In any case, you should be able to seperate the 2 lines for a certain length to make the hookup easier. Just pull them apart.

Bingo
03-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Oh sure, I CAN make it work. Heh.

I just PREFER to have them USB. I have front USB ports, and a very handy setup already in place for cord management that still allows me freedom to move around.

This way, the only way to really make it work will be to also go buy 2 6ft 3.5mm extensions and then run them around back. Furthermore, I'll have to play the plug/unplug game between my regular speakers and the headset unless I ALSO go buy a couple switches.

Actually, now that I think about it... I don't think that will work anyways, since my sound card is running 5.1 outputs, which turns the mic INPUT into the rear surround OUTPUT.

Hrmm... this will require more thought.

Dammit.

B

Bingo
03-08-2006, 09:41 PM
take the headphones back and get these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106150

I couldn't find a adapter for you :(

Nice product, but honestly the 5.1 surround headphones, unless you get into the REALLY expensive (ie - $150.00 plus range) are just gimmicky crap.

However, it's a moot point, I'm talking about a headSET, not headPHONES.

Thanks though!

B