PDA

View Full Version : re install windows 98

DiTomasso
03-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Ok,
This is the problem:

need to do a re install on my moms PC. pentiumII with win98, whats the easiest way :D

BobtheCkroach
03-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm confused what the problem is...

I mean, if you're literally asking how to do a reinstall...

If you want a complete and total wipe, put the windows98 disk in the drive, reboot the machine, boot into the cd. When it asks, delete all partitions, then create a new partition and select that to be the installation partition. Choose full format and sit back, then follow the instructions for installation.

FUS1ON
03-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Windows 98 doesn't work like that, you will need a boot disk.

If you do not have one, this might work:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

IIRC what I used to do was:
Using th boot floppy, delete the old partition, then make a new one and then format it. I used to reboot in between each step to make sure virii were deleted from memory.
Make a directory named Win98 on the hard drive
Copy all of the cab files off the install CD's win98 folder into the Win98 directory
Then run the setup.exe

It's much faster setting up off the harddrive vs the CD-Rom

BobtheCkroach
03-10-2006, 11:16 PM
You just confused the heck out of me...it's been a while since i've installed 98, but I installed 95 a while back (don't ask...:P) and I did it exactly as I said, I think. I guess I could be wrong, but I definitely didn't use a boot disk in any capacity.

<<Hybrid>>
03-10-2006, 11:17 PM
after putting in boot diskette and choosing start with cd-rom support:
dos commands in a sequence:
c:
format c:
y
*type anything in volume,,, SYSTEM will do, u can change this later anyway)
e:
setup
do what setup tells to do

FUS1ON
03-11-2006, 12:01 AM
If you look at this website:
http://www.putergeek.com/win98_install/

It appears there are several methods and we are all kind of correct. I used Method 1, where I named the directory Win98, they named it Cabs. Besides it installing faster, I prefer to use that method because anytime in the future if the OS asks for the Windows CD, all you have to do is direct it to that directory.

I didn't know the Win98 CD was bootable until today, I never tried to see if it would work either because my other method was what I was used to using. :o

BobtheCkroach
03-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Ah - good to know. I used to copy my CD to the HDD too, so that it was right there if windows asked for it, but I always did it through windows once I had it installed.

Good to know! :thumbs:

MR. SLiK
03-11-2006, 12:38 AM
in DOS, go into c:\windows\options\cabs\ and type setup then enter.

DiTomasso
03-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Thx for the input, will start with this project this week :wave:

DiTomasso
03-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Trying the bootdisk methods, finding out that the floppy station did not work correctly:(

using cdrom to start computer
going to DOS, to the C disk did Fdisk /MBR, back to D and formated the C disk, format c: /u /s.

reboot, copied all the win files to the newly made C:\cabs folder.
reboot, going to cabs folder and typed setup

system is installing it self at this moment, so far so good.

:wave:

ME BIGGD01
03-12-2006, 03:50 PM
if you plan on doing a clean install on win98, have all of your drivers ready on a cd for that system.

boot with win98 cd or use bootable disk. no need to run fdisk since partition is already created.
'
when at the command prompt type format c:

after didk is formatted cd win98 and type setup

process is then started

FUS1ON
03-12-2006, 05:39 PM
While i'm at that point and it doesn't take but a few minutes more, i'd Fdisk just to make sure you get rid of any boot sector virus just to be on the safe side, but if you have plenty of time and don't mind redoing things then don't worry about it.

DiTomasso
03-13-2006, 09:23 PM
trying to get ethernet card working under win98,
downloaded driver for the Realtek RTL8139/810x.
5.618.1015.2004 driver info

i c the card in systemmanager and if using winipcfg in commandscreen i can choose the ethernetcard but can not release the IP info.

i am doing something wrong but what??

BobtheCkroach
03-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Are you just trying to get the IP address of the computer?

I'm not sure what "winipcfg" is, but try typing "ipconfig" in the command screen.

That might be the same thing, just ipconfig is for later versions of windows, I'm not sure. But you can try it.

FUS1ON
03-13-2006, 10:45 PM
They do the same thing, winipcfg is the correct command for Win9x

Sorry Dito, I don't know the answer to your question. I never had to bother with that stuff, I just installed the driver, hooked up to the router and away I went.

BobtheCkroach
03-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Alright. Yeah, then, I don't know what to tell you. I didn't do a lot of network stuff before XP...

DiTomasso
03-14-2006, 09:55 AM
sorry just needed to connect it to the internet :D

BobtheCkroach
03-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Glad to hear it's workin'!