PDA

View Full Version : system in USA

MassacreAL
03-11-2006, 10:52 AM
hello to all

my time at high school will be ended soon, so im thinking what to do next. i mean what university, and where, should i choose. i know the best univerities in the world are in USA, but i cant fine any general informations. even Sho`s brother guugel didnt tell me. i want to ask if there is something like entrance examinations, and if no, what is entrance conditions. here in europe are entrance exams everywhere.
i know i need a lot of money. in Caltech i would pay about 30000 dolars for one year, i guess. woah, my mom have to work for two years to earn this much. i want to ask what do poor, but gifted students if they want to study at university.
i would appreciate every information you can tell me about schools in USA, really

Die Hard
03-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Don't know about the USA regulations but there are also some great uni's in England.

T I K
03-11-2006, 03:48 PM
I dont know alot on this but it is expensive to go to Uni here Massa, more so than if you were a resident citizen, and it is something that might have should been planned or pursued starting even last year !! Most Uni's have cutoff dates of like May1, 2006 for applications for summer or even fall classes 2006.
And most Uni's here require your SAT test scores for admission consideration. And of course they will ask for how you intend to pay for your schooling etc.You would also need a student visa. Also know that there are some small fee's associated even with submitting your applications to Uni's here.

I would look at sources for funding imediately, any and all $$ grants, sponsorships you may seek or can possibly apply for.
And most Uni's here will direct you or help you in searching for some funding and will tell you what might be available to you. (lots of paper work) !! I know alot of students here borrow the moneyfor school and end up struggling to pay off those loans after they graduate!

I would contact some Uni(s) as soon as possible, that you may be interested in, and see what info you can get from them. Ask for their admission requirements and any funding opportunities, grants, sponsorships that might be available to you as a foreign student !!

Btw Massa do you have an idea what your major course of study will be ??

BobtheCkroach
03-11-2006, 04:35 PM
You're definitely looking at a hefty fee, Mass. I paid 6000 for a year of schooling, and that was an in-state fee. Out of state is more, and I can only guess what an out of country might be. Also, while my school offers one of the best computer science programs in the state, it's a relatively small school. If you go to a major university, the same education would have cost you more like 16000 - 20000 a year for an education.

You're definitely going to want to look into what kind of grants your government or other institutions in your country will offer. You'll want to look into whether the US gov't or anything other american institutions offer aid specifically geared towards foreign students.

As TIK said, you'll need a visa, and you'll have to pay an application fee.

Something worth considering: most universities have foreign exchange programs, just like our high schools. Basically, you would officially be a student over in Europe. However, they might have a University in America that they're linked with. You can optionally come over here for a semester or year (heck, maybe even longer - you'd have to check), but officially you'll get your degree from the university taht you're attending in Europe. I've had a few exchange students that did that.

As TIK said, if you're serious about applying for a US institution, you'll definitely need to get that application in pronto. If you can tell us which major you're interested in, that could help us make suggestions. I have a feeling you want to do programming, but we'll wait for you to tell us that for sure.

MassacreAL
03-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Btw Massa do you have an idea what your major course of study will be ??
hmm, i was thinking about that, and finally ive decided for physics. astrophysics, more accurary. i was talking with some physicist(most of them was arabians, lol) and i figured out that physics and computer sciences are very close these days. i would love to go to Caltech or to MIT, but im sure there are many very good(and cheaper) unis. i will send email very soon to some ppl in these unis for some more info.

i want to say thanx for both answers :thumbs: if there is more important things that i should know, its welcomed

BobtheCkroach
03-12-2006, 03:11 AM
I'm afraid I don't know which schools to recommend for physics. I could make some for CS, but not PHY. I'll do some digging - i'm sure there are lists about this kind of thing.

As for Physics & comp sci being very close...i'm not sure I agree w/ that.

I would say that they're very inter-related - many physicists have need for the stuff learned in CS, and vice versa, but I think they're very different fields. I'm a CS major, and I couldn't tell you more about physics than gravity has a velocity of 9.8 m/s^2 lol.

I'm sure whichever you choose, though, you'll excel. I'll look into some schools for you - Good luck! :thumbs:

MassacreAL
03-12-2006, 09:41 AM
As for Physics & comp sci being very close...i'm not sure I agree w/ that.
i ment you cant do physics without computers. even in theoretical physics you need it, not only in experiments. i didnt mean PHY = CS, maybe i didnt express very exactly, sry

MassacreAL
03-12-2006, 09:42 AM
and tnx for support, Bob :thumbs:

BobtheCkroach
03-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Not a problem - that's what I thought you meant.