PDA

View Full Version : ? for the Guru's

OUTLAWS Jag
04-03-2006, 02:42 AM
Ok my wifes comp is having some major issues. here are the problems. at first she was crashing during DAOC like it was a video card problem so I changed from her 9800 pro to a 9600 pro to see if that was the problem, same still crashed ( this only happened during game everything else worked fine NP). I then changed to a 9500 pro and everything seemed fine for a few days no problems or crashes. now tonight the computer will not go to the desktop. There is no sound that the HD is even running. None of the CD or DVD drives will respond to the pushing of the button to open the doors. Any ideas what it may be? any help would be great.

Here is want does happen all the case fans do work including CPU and PWR supply. The fan from the 9600 pro using only AGP pwr does work

this is her current computers specs.

Intel P4 2.4
Kingston 2x512 Gig pc 3200
Ati 9800 pro
Soundblaster AG 2
Abit VT7 VIA PT880 Mobo

Here is what I have done so far.

Changed the Ram from a different system.
Changed Vid cards out to one that I know works
tested the her monitor to my comp.

ME BIGGD01
04-03-2006, 03:18 AM
Hi Jag, long time bud:thumbs: .

Ok, I am not really getting micuh info from what you posted but will ask questions to see if any of this works.

When you boot up the system do you hear any beeps?

If not, try to make sure the video card is fully inserted into agp slot.
I want you to locate the bios jumper that will reset the bios cmos to default and see if it boots up. If it does try to get into bios before os loads and set bios to what you want it to.

If system still does not boot up, try to take the memory out and boot the system just to try to get some beeps. If your system still does not boot put memory back into system and try the following.

Unplug every device such as HD, cd/dvd drives, and see if system boots. If it does not do anything but continue to run cpu fan, It may be that the cpu is dead or needs to be reseated also. Take cpu out in reseat it. This will require to take heatsink off first so be careful and delicate. If system still does not boot, I suggest try the last thing and use a different power supply. Believe me, it can also be the culprit but very unlikely. Try replacing the PS first if you think there is a faint smell of burnt hardware inside the power supply vent.

If Still no good, I think the CPU is shot.
Good luck:thumbs:

OUTLAWS Jag
04-03-2006, 03:52 AM
- I dont not hear any beeps at all when the system boots.
- checked the Video card several times seems all set.
- I did the Bios jumper and no change at all.
- Removed the heat sink and fan. There is no discoloration on the underside of the heat sink or smell of something burnt. then removed and reseated
- removed the Memory and tried booting and had no beeps then either.
- unplugged all drives and still no change or beeps.
- No smell of anything from the PS

ME BIGGD01
04-03-2006, 05:45 AM
I guess last thing to do is ck the power supply. CPU does not need to have discolor to be dead.

Could be Board also. Ck all capacitors to seee if any are blown out.

At this point, all tests should be done without HD or CD drives plugged into board.

No Beep usually means cpu is dead but I have run into this with a weak PS or distressed PS that still powers on but just does not give enough power to board.

ME BIGGD01
04-03-2006, 05:48 AM
You also should remove cmos battery from board for about 5 minutes. Make sure system is not plugged in while doing all this testing.

Rivers
04-03-2006, 07:23 AM
I was working on a system a while back that had very similar problems to what your wifes system was doing and bigg was right. Turned out to be the CPU along with the mobo but try the power supply thing 1st.

Sepra
04-03-2006, 01:14 PM
:bawling:

Thx for the help guys.