PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Bootup To Windows

BobtheCkroach
04-04-2006, 01:14 AM
The Following is from the May '06 issue of Maximum PC. I thought it was pretty helpful/good information and figured the community would enjoy having it available to them as well. I haven't taken teh time to go through any of it myself, yet, but it all sounds solid. A few are obvious items that we probably all know, but there are a few here that I didn't know about as well. I got an admin's permission before posting this (in case anyone cares). Everything is paraphrased, unless I quoted it, in which case it's in quotes.

Using this scheme, they claim to have shaved a total of 31 seconds from boot. That's not bad! I don't recall my boot being that long in the first place, but still, any cutdown helps.

1) First take a moment to defrag. This will improve all types of disk intensive performance, including boot. (I think we all knwo that one)

2) Use an anti-virus and/or anti-spyware (again, we all know it, but of course viruses will slow down bootup)

3) Clean Your startup folder. Check start->All Programs-Startup. If there's stuff in there that you want starting up on boot, leave it, but remove anything that you don't. They claimed that they had only 1 startup application (Acrobat Assistant) and that removing it shaved 3 seconds off their boot time.

4) Clean the Rest of the startup folders. Go to start->run and type in msconfig and hit enter. Click the startup tab. Look for stuff that you don't want on boot. Notorious characters include Itunes/Quicktime, Nero,and many others. (from personal experience, if you type in the filename listed, about 99% of the time you can google it and find out exactly what it is) Uncheck anything that you feel safe to not have running at bootup. You probably want to leave your antivirus of choice checked, though. They claimed that this was the single biggest improvement, dropping bootup by 16 seconds!

5) Don't settle for bad service. while you're still in msconfig, click the "Services" tab. There will be a ton of services listed. The best move you can make is to check the "Hide all Microsoft Services" box. Then go through and unselect whatever you feel you don't need (Microsoft Office Engine, CD burning Apps, QuickTime, etc) and click OK. To view a more detailed list, you can go to start->run and type in services.msg From here you can permanently disable a service by right clicking it, and selecting properties. Toggle its startup value from "Automatic" to "Manual". They removed 7 items for a 7 second improvement, including things like "Acronis Scheduler","Office Engine","Symantec Event Manager","Ipodservice". If you're not using a network of any sort, you can turn of "WorkStation". They claimed that disabling that took of 2 seconds all by itself (that's probably not something that applies to many of us)

6) Boot-speed bios tweaks. Pretty simple. Enter your bios, disable any HDD controllers or raid controllers that are integrated that you're not using (make sure you know what you're talking about b4 you do this :P) If you don't have a floppy, disable that controller too. If you're not using the integrated LAN, Audio or various other peripherals, feel free to disable those as well. You'll have to find this option on your board, as it will vary. Turn on Fast-Boot, which will skip some full memory tests and a few other things in favor of gettin' goin'. "When you're looking at the settings for your HDD controller, pay attention to the Hard Disk Pre-Delay. This settings essentially puts the boot process on hold to give your hard drives a moment or two to spin up. Set this to the lowest setting that still lets the BIOS detect your hard drives." Saved them 2 seconds.

7) Train windows to fetch. Windows will try to get programs and files before you actually need them. Windows will add bits to the prefetch folder so that it can load the app faster the next time you run it. Sometimes windows does too much, though, and gets stuff you don't need, which ends up wasting resources. You can find the folder at C:\windows\prefetch Go in there and delete everything. Then go to start->run, type in regedit and go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters. Find the "EnablePrefetcher" in the right side. Right click and hit Modify. If you change the value to 2, you'll only prefetch boot items. If you type 3, it'll prefetch applicaitons and boot items. Close regedit and reboot several times, allowing Windows to configure prefetch to cache what it needs.

If you'd rather only do boot items and specify any apps that you want prefetched manually, you can set the key's value to 2 instead. After that, go to each shortcut for the apps you use, right click the shortcut and go to properties. Add "/prefetch:1" to the end of the target line (not including the quotes) After that the app will be added to the prefetch list. This was a reduction of 7 seconds.

8) Dump the XP splash screen. Everytime you boot, you stare at the screen with the loading bar. Open msconfig (Start->run type msconfig), go to the boot.ini tab and check the box labeled "/NOGUIBOOT, then restart. They claimed this saved them 2 seconds.

9) Microsoft Pitches In With Its Own Outlaw Utility. Microsoft has a boot-time tool called "Bootvis". MS claims that it doesn't do anything, but when the mag run it it saved 4 seconds (i've also used it and seen some noticable improvement).

Google bootvis and you're sure to find it. Install it, run it, click "Trace", then "Boot + Driver Delays". After rebooting, it'll show you an analysis. Click "Trace" then "Optimize" and it'll reboot and optimize.

One last thing: A few ideas that DIDN'T improve boot-time.

--Font Deletion: Windows load every font on boot, so this seems logical. Apparently it does nothing, as they deleted 94 fonts and saw absolutely no gain.

--Tweakin' boot.ini (other than the GUI tweak) - they ended up hosing their machine. and had to reinstall everything :P I wouldn't try this.

--Deleting temp files: temp files, history, cache, cookies - none helped boot at all. still do it, as it's just a tidiness issue, but it won't help bootup.

--Turning off startup sounds. Absolutely zero difference.

There you have it. Hopefully it helps everyone :thumbs: Make sure you know what you're doing, obviously. I'm posting a useful article and ideas, but if you wipe your system b/c you screwed up, that's not my fault :)

Die Hard
04-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Nice work Bob. I'll definitely use a few of those :thumbs:

BobtheCkroach
04-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Be careful about the one regarding disabling the Windows load screen...

I was using a windows server 2003 machine, and I'm dual booting, but when I did it, I couldn't get any Graphics at all on boot - just a black screen (once windows hit, I did obviously get the BIOS screens). I let it go black and waited about 3 minutes before realizing that it wasn't gonna load anything. I rebooted and got the same thing again. I had to f8 into safe mode and turn it back off. You can feel free to try it...if you don't get a visual, you'll just have to change it back via safe mode, that's all.

FUS1ON
04-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for taking the time to do this Bob, there are some great tips in there.

DiTomasso
04-04-2006, 03:18 PM
There was something about bootvis, read below part.
Is taken out of the tweakguide for XP.

Tweakguide (http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html)

BOOTVIS
Bootvis is the Boot Visualizer tool from Microsoft, which shows information about the type of programs,
drivers and services that are loaded up during your Windows startup procedure, and how long each one of
them takes. This information can be very useful in identifying precisely what is taking the most amount of
time at bootup, and if necessary lead to uninstalling or altering hardware and software which is causing any
long delays. Bootvis does more than just analyze the startup procedure – it can also optimize it by laying out
the required files in an optimal pattern for faster bootup times. This usually results in dramatically faster
loading of Windows, and that is the primary purpose to which we will put Bootvis. To access Bootvis
download it from this Bootvis Download Site and install it.
Before you use Bootvis however you should note that although it is a Microsoft‐produced utility, it was
removed from the Microsoft Bootvis Page a while ago for an unspecified reason. The likely reason is that it
can cause problems on certain systems, although it is unclear which particular types of systems. Systems
with HyperThreading (HT) or Dual Core CPUs are one possible source of incompatibility with Bootvis,
although many users with such systems ‐ including me ‐ report using Bootvis without any problems. The
bottom line is that you should backup your data before using Bootvis, just in case.
Note that for Bootvis to operate correctly, the Task Scheduler service needs to be set to Automatic (see the
Services section). This is very important, otherwise Bootvis will not complete its Boot Trace or Optimization
tasks after rebooting.

ME BIGGD01
04-04-2006, 10:53 PM
I think I made a thread with a lot of the tips another time but can not remember.

I used bootvis before but I know I had some problems with it. I just can not remember what it was.

As far as bootime goes, I would definetly go with disabling services you don't want to start and also eliminating start up programs. I honestly feel people need to know what they are disabling before making a move because it can screw something up that will cost you more time fixing it. Usually I have the computer on all the time. Mostly I shut it off when I am doing something like blowing out the fans inside. I wonder if anyone remembers the boot up time of the older Os's. That was like, go make some coffee, walk the dog and read the paper.

Caged Anger
04-04-2006, 11:59 PM
meh, bootvis didn't do anything, but its just as easy to hibernate a computer as shut it down and hibernating boots much faster

BTW, tasklist run command is not available in XP home edition

ME BIGGD01
04-05-2006, 02:10 AM
yes it is

right click on task bar and choose properties
click on startmenu tab
choose customize

BobtheCkroach
04-05-2006, 03:46 AM
yes it is

right click on task bar and choose properties
click on startmenu tab
choose customize

I think you misunderstood him. He's referring to the command "tasklist" not being available in XP Home, not the actual "run" program. (to your credit he said it kinda poorly)

BobtheCkroach
04-05-2006, 04:02 AM
I think I made a thread with a lot of the tips another time but can not remember.

I used bootvis before but I know I had some problems with it. I just can not remember what it was.

As far as bootime goes, I would definetly go with disabling services you don't want to start and also eliminating start up programs. I honestly feel people need to know what they are disabling before making a move because it can screw something up that will cost you more time fixing it. Usually I have the computer on all the time. Mostly I shut it off when I am doing something like blowing out the fans inside. I wonder if anyone remembers the boot up time of the older Os's. That was like, go make some coffee, walk the dog and read the paper.

I figured someone had posted something like this before, but since it didn't get stickied then, it's long gone and I figured some of the newer members, as well as any older members that have been through a reinstall, would benefit.

I totally agree w/ knowing what you're doing before disabling services/startup apps. If you google the name of the exe (like ITunesHelper.exe) you can almost always find one with the title like this:

ItunesHelper.exe - Process Information

It's this site: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/iTunesHelper/

It's a great site for quickly finding out if the process it critical, helpful for a certain app, or just place unneccesary. It also tells if it's a security risk, so that you can accertain that information quickly as well. Coupled with that site, I always feen fairly confident when I change something like that.

As for bootvis, I've had it help in the past and not help - I've never noticed a decrease in performance, so I figure it's worth a shot.

As for booting down, I boot down all the time right now, as I have my work platform (Win Server 2003) and my gaming platform (windows xp pro) dual booting on the same box for about another month, until i graduate and move to my job site, so that's part of why I was so interested in this article. So I'm constantly rebooting. I've also been shutting down fairly regularly, as my machine runs hot and I feel better if I give it some cooldown here and there. Still, there are those that are obsessed w/ powering down (when I move into my own house and start paying for electricity, I'll probably become one! :P)

Mpulse
04-05-2006, 12:54 PM
I downloaded the trial version of System Mechanic 6 (30 day trial period); it has a slew of handy little programs, one of which tweaks and speeds up the bootup on windows. I like it so much, I'm gonna buy the full version. I know, I know... the guidelines in the Maximum PC mag are good, too... I'm just lazy when it comes to doing stuff like that on my own (though I am capable of doing it); I just like having a program that I can set to do it all automatically...