PDA

View Full Version : drm wars...

JIMINATOR
04-05-2006, 08:23 PM
looks like if you buy a music cd that uses Suncomm drm and a game that uses Starforce drm, your system is screwed.

At the least, you will not be able to use the cd, at most, may be reboot issues. alls i gots to say is "ahoy matey!"

http://theinquirer.net/?article=30787

MassacreAL
04-05-2006, 08:36 PM
btw, why are they bothering themselves with music-cd protection? if i would want to copy that, i can just run song and rocord it with soundforge or with standart windows recorder or something. where is problem? well, i was never doing it but i guess it could be done this way...

Caged Anger
04-05-2006, 08:40 PM
bah, so anxious to get a few more dollars from people, they will eventually screw themselves over.

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=4206&t=innovation

Heck, piracy is probably helping their businesses, but NO! they gotta expend thousands of dollars to research new means of preventing the what....half million people that heavily pirate works? yea...its really killing their business. Besides the fact is that the people who pirate stuff can't pay for it anyway so how can they really claim a lost profit? sheesh

EXEcution
04-05-2006, 11:36 PM
btw, why are they bothering themselves with music-cd protection? if i would want to copy that, i can just run song and rocord it with soundforge or with standart windows recorder or something. where is problem? well, i was never doing it but i guess it could be done this way...
There will be quality loss, but you make a good point.
I'm sure their eventual goal is to prevent people from ripping music off CD's at all. I find it funny that someone coined the term "ripping", making it sound like a bad thing, but I don't know anyone that had a 100+ CD Changer in their computer so ripping your favorite tracks seems pretty convenient.

Music should be free. I am sure most artists want people to hear their music and attend their concerts. Then people become interested in a certain artist and can go and buy their album for it's extrinsic value.

I sell music CD's and the trend I see with the music shipments is the record companies releasing Dual-Disk editions of certain albums. The other disk may be a DVD with music videos, vidoes of concerts and general info about the artist usually shown via video. So if a person is genuinely interested in music or a particular artist they will most likely buy the Dual-Disk version of the album for about $5 more than the original.

There are also Enchanched CD's which contain both the music tracks and extra material (again usually video) on a single disk. You can't really download thing like that online because people only bother uploading/sharing single tracks.

As for games, which, much like music CDs, I hardly ever buy I think that burning an extra WORKING copy of the game to have as a backup is perfectly fine. CD's do get scratched easily.

JIMINATOR
04-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Music should be free. I am sure most artists want people to hear their music and attend their concerts. Then people become interested in a certain artist and can go and buy their album for it's extrinsic value.
surely you must be joking. there are a lot of starving artists that would disagree with you. like all things, if someone produces something you enjoy, repeatedly, you should support them and pay for it.
probably the bigger issue is with record companies, which IMO are a bunch of manipulative and heavy handed scumbags.....

EXEcution
04-06-2006, 12:46 AM
if someone produces something you enjoy, repeatedly, you should support them and pay for it.
That's what I meant. Most good artists are gonna have a large fan base who will buy all of their albums. These straving artists need to get their music out to the public (assuming that they don't have a record contract) by using the internet and uploading their songs to several music websites and have people sample them for free.

Caged Anger
04-06-2006, 12:50 AM
i wonder what kind of effect dropping the price of songs from $1 to $.50 would have?

MassacreAL
04-06-2006, 08:15 PM
the important thing is, every artist can choose his style of distributing his music. good example of Exe`s phylosophy is Mauro Picotto. i believe he has few CDs in stores, but you can find many more songs he made spreaded around internet and between people. he is actually very famous and popular(and rich). maybe eight months ago he made party near one small village here in czech republic and over 5000 people came without huge adverts everywhere and stuff. he is da man and artist who could be example for many others