PDA

View Full Version : FireWall

NastyDawg
04-28-2006, 01:50 PM
:hmmm: Anyone got any ideas on a good free firewall, I have been using Sygate for about a year and been having some issues with it of late. I use McAfee for Antivirus thinking about there Firewall unless I find a good free one!

Die Hard
04-28-2006, 04:43 PM
I use Windows Firewall that comes with XP and so far it's been cool :thumbs:

BobtheCkroach
04-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Do you know linux? Setting up an independent box as a firewall using IPTables (which comes free w/ many distros of linux, which are in turn free themselves) is usually a fairly good way to firewall, and cheap. But you gotta be familiar w/ linux or your lost...

Caged Anger
04-28-2006, 06:22 PM
lets give the man what he wants :)

Go for Zone Alarm Basic, its easy to configure, doesn't cause any nasty side effects (at least in my case) Gives free updates, and allows for easy modifications to IP ranges, Program controls, ect.

www.zonelabs.com

BobtheCkroach
04-28-2006, 06:50 PM
lets give the man what he wants :)

Hey now, there's nothign wrong w/ options! Perhaps he didn't know about the windows one, or perhaps he either knows linux, or wants to know linux.

Frankly, if he's interested in a firewall, he's considering the value of security, right? Anything is more secure than Windows...

Zone Alarm is supposed to be the cream of the crop for cheap & effective Windows firewalls. For myself I use the Windows one and have never had an issue at all.

Caged Anger
04-29-2006, 02:02 AM
Blah, norton = resource hog!

NastyDawg
04-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Do you know linux? Setting up an independent box as a firewall using IPTables (which comes free w/ many distros of linux, which are in turn free themselves) is usually a fairly good way to firewall, and cheap. But you gotta be familiar w/ linux or your lost...

Thanks for the info, but Don't know linux but it sounds good. As for the Windows Firewall, I have never turned it on, I have not heard a lot good about it until these few post here. I have heard of Zone alarm I am going to give it a try. Thanks for all you guys info.:thumbs:

Goober
04-30-2006, 12:09 AM
Windows firewall works fine for me.......however I'm behind a router firewall so nothing gets in anyway.