PDA

View Full Version : Wii Online Capability Confirmed

EXEcution
05-14-2006, 12:02 AM
It's short enough to just be copied and pasted.

Taken from ign.com

"E3 2006: Wii Wi-Fi Just Like DS
No standard interface and... friend codes? We've got the scoop.
by Matt Casamassina

May 11, 2006 - Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development's general manager, Takahashi Tezuka, recently chatted with IGN about Wii and its online functionality. The EAD leader confirmed once and for all that Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection on Wii would be an extension of the DS service and would not feature a standard interface like Xbox Live. And, uh, yes, get ready to enter those friend codes again.

IGN Wii: What is your plan for the Wi-Fi Connection and how might it compare to Xbox Live?

Takahashi Tezuka: Well, the Wii Wi-Fi Connection works the same as the Nintendo DS one. It's the three qualities that we emphasize. It's easy, safe and free.

IGN Wii: Will it have a central interface a la Live that all games will interact with, or will it be different on a game-by-game basis?

Tezuka: It'll be just like the DS so the interface will depend on the software.

IGN Wii: Will Wi-Fi Connection on Wii also use a Friends Code system?

Tezuka: Yes."

I don't know exactly how the friends code system works but from what I deduce it's not as user-friendly as the Xbox Live friends system. The software dependant interface doesn't seem all that bad, after all each game is different in its own way. No complaints here, glad to hear that online play wil be an option.

Dangerous Dan
05-14-2006, 12:39 AM
It's short enough to just be copied and pasted.

Taken from ign.com

"E3 2006: Wii Wi-Fi Just Like DS
No standard interface and... friend codes? We've got the scoop.
by Matt Casamassina

May 11, 2006 - Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development's general manager, Takahashi Tezuka, recently chatted with IGN about Wii and its online functionality. The EAD leader confirmed once and for all that Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection on Wii would be an extension of the DS service and would not feature a standard interface like Xbox Live. And, uh, yes, get ready to enter those friend codes again.

IGN Wii: What is your plan for the Wi-Fi Connection and how might it compare to Xbox Live?

Takahashi Tezuka: Well, the Wii Wi-Fi Connection works the same as the Nintendo DS one. It's the three qualities that we emphasize. It's easy, safe and free.

IGN Wii: Will it have a central interface a la Live that all games will interact with, or will it be different on a game-by-game basis?

Tezuka: It'll be just like the DS so the interface will depend on the software.

IGN Wii: Will Wi-Fi Connection on Wii also use a Friends Code system?

Tezuka: Yes."

I don't know exactly how the friends code system works but from what I deduce it's not as user-friendly as the Xbox Live friends system. The software dependant interface doesn't seem all that bad, after all each game is different in its own way. No complaints here, glad to hear that online play wil be an option.

there was a lot of discussion over at GAF on this, but here's the consensus. The Friends Codes will be software dependent, BUT unlike the DS, the software cannot store anything (it's on a DVD, not flash memory). So, that would mean adding a friend code would actually be stored on the Wii's internal memory. It's likely that you'll have a universal friend list, but you'll have to authorize each player per peice of software you want to play online with. So for example, if you're part of a Smash Bros. clan and you add your 30 members to your friends list, they can only see you when you're online with that game, unless you've authorized them with another game. Although I'd prefer an xbox live interface, this doesn't sound too horrible, mostly because you'll probbaly know the people you're playing with anyways, so you just need to ask them to authorize you.

EXEcution
05-14-2006, 12:47 AM
I just wish Nintendo was a bit more enthusiastic about online play.

Dangerous Dan
05-14-2006, 02:41 AM
I just wish Nintendo was a bit more enthusiastic about online play.

they're scared of being sued and losing their "family friendly" reputation - in other words, they're paranoid.

Zypher
05-16-2006, 12:56 AM
This doesn't sound too bad at all. After all, back during the golden days of Super Smash Bros. Melee, you pretty much had to invite friends over for multiplayer action. This seems like a more convenient way to play with friends, or maybe just an alternative. But playing with people I don't know never seemed like much fun to me anyways, so I guess you can just chalk it up to skepticism.

leon
05-18-2006, 11:46 AM
I admire the challenge mind of Nintendo.
DS surprised all by using the touch pen.
Then, Will uses a remote original controller.

But, is it only I that it seems to be a sleepwalking patient when a player is seen in the neighbor?
Well, I think that Will is at least suitable for the diet. lol.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/e3_2006/wii/movie_software.html

Dangerous Dan
05-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Leon, what was the response to Nintendo's E3 presentation on Japanese forums? Are people more interested in the PS3 or Wii?

Personally, I'm going to buy a Wii on launch day because it's going to cost less... and Wario Ware looks fun to play with friends :D

EXEcution
05-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Yea PS3's and Xbox360's are for yuppies.

leon
05-19-2006, 01:28 AM
DD, Japanese players had interest in E3 very much.
Even a Japanese forum has a hot discussion such as former PSP and DS.
Everyone's concern is the goods price of Sony.
Sony is full of options as usual.
It is too high to the general people even if it does in the development of PS3 costing an enormous cost.
Everyone says. "It can't be used for PS3 even if 70000 yen is spent on the video card." .

Of course I will buy Wii in consideration of the compatibility with DS.
But, Rion said that this wasn't interesting though I used a Wi-Fi connection. (Now, he doesn't play by the Wi-Fi connection.) :(

Nintendo will have to consider it more for the on-line game.

At any rate, Wii is more popular in Japan than PS3.