PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem

He Is Legend
06-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Well, for the past 2 days now, my computer has been acting strange..

Ok..to show you, anytime that i would like to play the video format .WMV..it will not display the video but lag my desktop and then it will smoothout, and then my monitor will shut off 5-10 seconds after my mouse unlags..then i have to restart my whole comp

now I can play any other format just fine without any problems..but as soon as i play .wmv's my stuff locks up and i cant click anything at ALL..meaning by that i can move my mouse as if my computer was fine, but i cannot click on anything

its like my screen locks up when i play that certain file..and im in need of dire assistance if anyone has ever delt with anything as of this :(..or if anyone can help me that would be sooo great..ty:thumbs:

Caged Anger
06-02-2006, 12:16 AM
:hmmm: :dunno:

thats one doosy of a prob you got there bud, bet Jim or Biggs will know what to do

EXEcution
06-02-2006, 12:47 AM
Did you install any new codecs/codec packs? If you did I would uninstall and reinstall them (and all video codecs for that matter) and try and see if the file(s) play.

It might be those tweaked out video drivers too. Not sure though.

He Is Legend
06-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Did you install any new codecs/codec packs? If you did I would uninstall and reinstall them (and all video codecs for that matter) and try and see if the file(s) play.

It might be those tweaked out video drivers too. Not sure though.

It might be..do you have any links to codecs?..i remember installing one a little while ago..as in weeks

but other than that no..and I've installed multiplate Nvidia released drivers and it still doesnt work

Caged Anger
06-02-2006, 01:40 AM
the codecs would have most likely come in a .exe package and would be listed in the add/remove programs option, check that out first

EXEcution
06-02-2006, 01:47 AM
It might be..do you have any links to codecs?..i remember installing one a little while ago..as in weeks

but other than that no..and I've installed multiplate Nvidia released drivers and it still doesnt work
I pretty much use the latest ver of VLC player which has the codecs preinstalled on it.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

ME BIGGD01
06-02-2006, 03:11 AM
I switched to media player 11 and all seems good. I think Exe hit the nail on the head with codecs being installed. You may also want to try running a wmv file in another app to see if has any problems. Try winamp or nero.

He Is Legend
06-02-2006, 03:22 AM
I switched to media player 11 and all seems good. I think Exe hit the nail on the head with codecs being installed. You may also want to try running a wmv file in another app to see if has any problems. Try winamp or nero.

tried doing it other applications as well, failed

ME BIGGD01
06-02-2006, 03:48 AM
Uninstall everything that has to do with media and reinstall it. Sounds like you got a corrupted file. You have to remember of some of the recent applications you installed before this error occured. I always suggest having a ghost image with no drivers on your pc available for a quick clean install.

Free Styler
06-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Try installing this codec pack xp codec pack has a full packed jam codec collection and it's free.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

Has bigg said a ghost is always fun to have.If ever you dont have a burner
..you can always take a 1 to 2 gig invisible partition to make a clean install.

I had a similar problem once where my media player would not play anymore.
Ghost and adios problem solved:) i go make myself a sandwich come back
and here you have it.

Caged Anger
06-03-2006, 05:39 PM
any luck yet?

ME BIGGD01
06-04-2006, 02:44 AM
any luck yet?

It is frustrating taking the time to help someone out and not get a response back. Not only does it not let the person who actually helped you but it does not inform the others what it may have been that resovled the issue.

Chao you hump---Follow Up Biatch!!!!!

He Is Legend
06-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Chill

I've had my computer on and off and in safe mode figuring this out

turns out it was a malware called SPLASH.32 that was doing it, i dont know why but it was and now it works

but i do appreciate all the help guys :thumbs:

Death Engineer
06-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I figured you had just exceeded your pr0n allocation limits. ;) Seriously, if this kind of thing happens on multiple players, it probably is a codec issue.

He Is Legend
06-04-2006, 11:35 PM
I figured you had just exceeded your pr0n allocation limits. ;) Seriously, if this kind of thing happens on multiple players, it probably is a codec issue.

lol.