PDA

View Full Version : "This is America. When ordering speak English."

NastyDawg
06-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Now it's a controversy over a demand that customers speak English when ordering a Geno's Cheese Steak in South Philadelphia.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&id=4239696#

So what do you think, I say good for Geno.

Pure_Evil
06-09-2006, 02:06 PM
it's his bussiness, it's his right. If I went to a Mexican restaraunt and they insisted I ordered in Spanish, guess what, I'd go somewhere else and laugh it off.

people are such pussies these days.

just tell them...
http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ejarno/fun/n00b.jpg

JIMINATOR
06-09-2006, 03:19 PM
works for me....

Caged Anger
06-09-2006, 04:49 PM
:rofl: i'm with you 2, make them learn frikkin english.

america is a country of immigrants, fact is though, when our folks came over, everybody WANTED to learn english. Its called immigrating and socially adjusting freaks :P

MassacreAL
06-09-2006, 04:59 PM
uhm, ehm :o

NightBreed
06-09-2006, 05:25 PM
:thumbs:

Nick
06-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Ive worked in restaurants b4 and you Americans are the worst :P

when you come to Quebec.. you dont even try to speak french and talk fast and never bother to ARTICULATE and you use thick accents...

you then look surprised that the person taking your order is completly confused :P

Sirc
06-09-2006, 06:13 PM
:thumbs:

It's funny you posted that. I was at the ATM yesterday and noticed they had changed the interface so English was default. The other language buttons were there, but no more "English" button. About friggin time.

FUS1ON
06-09-2006, 06:33 PM
:rofl: I'm with you 2, make them learn freaking English.

America is a country of immigrants, fact is though, when our folks came over, everybody WANTED to learn English. Its called immigrating and socially adjusting freaks :P

Hey bud, I cleaned it up for you so we English speakers could understand it. :P

OUTLAWS Tip
06-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Being a tourist and not knowing the language is one thing. Being a citizen and not speaking or attempting to learn English is another.
;)

NastyDawg
06-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Being a tourist and not knowing the language is one thing. Being a citizen and not speaking or attempting to learn English is another.
;)

yes this is very true:thumbs:

JIMINATOR
06-09-2006, 11:04 PM
language is relative. there have and continue to be lots of isolated culture groups. it's not a good or a bad thing, but just the way it is. the spanish speaking population is growing daily, and living and working around others of the same group is not a good way to learn other languages. anyway, for myself, not a problem, my $30-$60 would go to people that welcome the money. these signs are just the same thing as the no-colored signs of yesterday.... j00 gotta be like me or j00 don't count.

Sirc
06-10-2006, 02:54 AM
language is relative. there have and continue to be lots of isolated culture groups. it's not a good or a bad thing, but just the way it is. the spanish speaking population is growing daily, and living and working around others of the same group is not a good way to learn other languages. anyway, for myself, not a problem, my $30-$60 would go to people that welcome the money. these signs are just the same thing as the no-colored signs of yesterday.... j00 gotta be like me or j00 don't count.

I think this is being bown a bit out of proportion. What it comes down to is an American private business that relies on fast service can't always provide translators, and the managers don't want to see the counter jockies screwing around for 5 minutes trying to figure out WTF the person is trying to order. For Gods sake how hard is it to learn to say "a cheesesteak and fries" if you don't speak English and really want to eat there.

If someone came into my workplace and wanted something and didn't speak English, he'd be SOL. Sorry, that's the way it is. It's nothing against immigrants or tourists. I simply don't speak any other language than English. If it happened a lot and started impacting the efficiency of my staff then I may be tempted to put up a sign too. It's economics, not racism.