PDA

View Full Version : Dual core processors and games

MassacreAL
06-18-2006, 07:22 PM
ive got one very important question. does dual core processors fit for games? im looking to buy new computer soon, i like Pentium D 930, and i want to play games from time to time. problem is that there are two cores, both running on 2.3(dunno exactly)ghz, and i dont know if one game can employ both cores at same time. i dont know if most of games are multithread or singlethread. if singlethread, 2.3ghz procesor isnt right thing for a gamer.

EXEcution
06-18-2006, 07:34 PM
It will work fine for most new games. Older games (such as ssam or CS) you will notice something along the lines of dropped frames and choppyness. All you have to do it set the affinity to one core (manually or use a wingamelauncher) and you'd be all set.

He Is Legend
06-18-2006, 09:59 PM
It will work fine for most new games. Older games (such as ssam or CS) you will notice something along the lines of dropped frames and choppyness. All you have to do it set the affinity to one core (manually or use a wingamelauncher) and you'd be all set.

Blakes dual processors work great on sam and cs :P

EXEcution
06-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Blakes dual processors work great on sam and cs :P
Well the cores conflict. Maybe blake doesn't notice. It's subtle at the beginning but if you play for extended periods of time the gameplay is affected drastically. There are articles online with people having the same issue. What kind of proc does Marz have?

He Is Legend
06-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Well the cores conflict. Maybe blake doesn't notice. It's subtle at the beginning but if you play for extended periods of time the gameplay is affected drastically. There are articles online with people having the same issue. What kind of proc does Marz have?

1.66 dual core centrino

EXEcution
06-18-2006, 10:44 PM
1.66 dual core centrino
Might be different on a laptop because of the architechture.

MassacreAL
06-19-2006, 05:52 AM
well exe, tnx for answer, i was worried about performance in new games and now i know its ok :thumbs:

JIMINATOR
06-20-2006, 01:45 AM
the issue is that winblows will split the single threaded processing between the two cpus. because each will then be utilized ~60%, winblows will figure,
hey, i can declock these because they are not being fully utilized. thus the choppiness. there are patches and a fix available.

BlackWolf
06-20-2006, 02:38 PM
It should be safe to buy dual cores now since they fixed most of the issues with graphics drivers and windows issues also

im very happy with my machine runs great