PDA

View Full Version : Unmountable Boot Volume.

OUTLAWS The Machine
02-14-2003, 09:42 PM
Dixie was booting up her computer today and the power went out during the boot up. When she went to turn it back on she got the WinXP blue screen of death saying Unmountable Boot Volume. I put the XP disk in and went to the repair function. I typed in FIXBOOT and it said that the boot sector was corrupt and do I want to fix it. I entered yes. It appeared to fix it so I exited. After rebooting I get the BSOD again with the same error. So I repeat the whole process. After I type FIXBOOT again it says that it is corrupt or invalid so I fix it again twice in a row and try to boot into WinblowsXP again with no luck. so while I'm in the repair function again I type DIR and I get "AN error occured during directory enumeration". Anything else I can try before I have to reformat?

Dissectional
02-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Man....that sounds grim. I can't think of anything. Usually when the boot sector is corrupt you are SOL.

Nobody
02-14-2003, 09:48 PM
Try this command from the recovery console chkdsk /r . If that doesn't work you may have to do a repair.

Saretta
02-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Sounds similar to a problem I had some weeks ago. Can u run scandisk?

OUTLAWS The Machine
02-14-2003, 09:55 PM
Will try those suggestions. BRB.

Nobody
02-14-2003, 09:56 PM
You might also put the disk in your machine as a slave and run scandisk on it.

Nobody
02-14-2003, 10:02 PM
The chkdsk command will take a while. I should have warned you first, but it will most likely fix the problem.

Nobody
02-14-2003, 10:08 PM
I will BRB dude. My wife forgot something in her car and I have to go drop it off to her at work. I'll be back in about 15min. or so. Sorry !! :wave:

OUTLAWS The Machine
02-14-2003, 10:08 PM
CHKDSK worked! NOB IS DA MAN!

OUTLAWS The Machine
02-14-2003, 10:09 PM
Thanks. I owe you all big time. :thumbs: :jammin:

Saretta
02-14-2003, 10:09 PM
:thumbs:

OUTLAWS Dixie Chick
02-14-2003, 10:10 PM
Nobody, you are DA MAN! Here's a great big kiss for ya! Mwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaa! wub

Nobody
02-14-2003, 10:33 PM
Sweet !!! :thumbs:

I'm really glad that fixed the problem, reinstalling sucks :wacko:

Nobody, you are DA MAN! Here's a great big kiss for ya! Mwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaa! 

http://bellsouthpwp.net/N/o/Nob2112/smilies/kishug.gif

I can be useful once in a great while :w00t:

Death-Dude
02-15-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS The Machine@Feb 14 2003, 03:42 PM
Dixie was booting up her computer today and the power went out during the boot up. When she went to turn it back on she got the WinXP blue screen of death saying Unmountable Boot Volume. I put the XP disk in and went to the repair function. I typed in FIXBOOT and it said that the boot sector was corrupt and do I want to fix it. I entered yes. It appeared to fix it so I exited. After rebooting I get the BSOD again with the same error. So I repeat the whole process. After I type FIXBOOT again it says that it is corrupt or invalid so I fix it again twice in a row and try to boot into WinblowsXP again with no luck. so while I'm in the repair function again I type DIR and I get "AN error occured during directory enumeration". Anything else I can try before I have to reformat?
Aside from stamping your feet and cursing ( I assume you've already taken care of that!) I can't see any good things. I assume that fixboot is similar or the same to "FDISK /MBR", which will write a new Master Boot Record to your disk. I guess you could get a boot disk and try that.

Doh! Lesson: read the whole damn thread before spouting off! Nice job, Nobody. :thumbs:

ME BIGGD01
02-16-2003, 01:59 PM
darn it, i wanted to fix it for them and now you got the kiss. good job nobody.

OUTLAWS The Machine
02-16-2003, 02:42 PM
:lol: