PDA

View Full Version : PriceWar Begins

ME BIGGD01
06-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Ok people, I have said a while back to hold off. The time is here and you will start to see the prices begin to fall. AMD is still the wy to go and for those that have not noticed, AMD does have a ace up it's sleeve. July will be a great month for those looking to buy and build a new machine. I still suggest building the best bang for buck system because 2007 will be a knee slapper.

Death Engineer
06-24-2006, 05:30 AM
More specifically, you may want to wait until the end of July...

AMD is said to be preparing a broad range of deep price cuts in a bid to take the fight to Intel's next-generation architecture Core 2 processors, due to be released in the coming months. AMD will cut its prices by up to 46 per cent, it has been claimed.

Industry sources cited by DigiTimes reckon the cuts will come on 24 July. The reductions - of 0.5 per cent to 46.1 per cent; 36.7 per cent off on average - will come to all the Socket AM2 and some Socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processors and follow the aggressive pruning of Socket 939 and Socket 754 parts.

Source: The Register
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06/23/amd_athlon_price_cuts/

NastyDawg
06-24-2006, 12:54 PM
hmm, thanks for the info guys!:thumbs:

ME BIGGD01
06-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Not sure if you guys have looked into reverse hyper threading. This is some really neat stuff and has been implimented into the AM2 chips along with the new Opterons due out in August/September.

To put it simply, it takes a multi core and when a app is not multithreaded the two cores will act like one. This seems like a great Idea considering the questions people ask (what are we going to need 4 cores for?) when we have quad cores in our desktops next year.

FUS1ON
06-24-2006, 04:56 PM
This great news, I really wanted to get a faster CPU than I got back when I upgraded earlier this year and now I can.

BTW Biggs I guess you don't read Max PC because dual dualcores has already been done. Max PC featured a rig back in April. :P
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5800/magcontestfinal1ew.th.jpg (http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=magcontestfinal1ew.jpg)

ME BIGGD01
06-24-2006, 06:12 PM
I use to read that Mag but like all of them the news is old bythe time the article is out.

I think you misunderstood me. When I say quad core I mean 4cores put into one silicon. This is not available yet but will by December/January. Ofcourse dual dual core has been out as I have built several for customers. I actually have a dual nforce4 motherboard but do not have two dual cores to slap in them. Can not afford it but one day I may be able to. Right now runs 2x 1.8 ghz which runs fast enough.

What would be nice is having a dual motherboard with dual quad core chips in it which would equal 8 cpu's. This is where the platform is going to shine once again for AMD because of the use of hyper transport. Intel will need to impliment a dual memory controller if they want to get rid of it's bottle neck.

FUS1ON
06-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Look a little closer, that is a fake magazine cover.

NastyDawg
06-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Look a little closer, that is a fake magazine cover.

LOL, thought I have seen that before in the Photoshop contest
:D

SASQUATCH
06-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Not sure if you guys have looked into reverse hyper threading. This is some really neat stuff and has been implimented into the AM2 chips along with the new Opterons due out in August/September.

To put it simply, it takes a multi core and when a app is not multithreaded the two cores will act like one. This seems like a great Idea considering the questions people ask (what are we going to need 4 cores for?) when we have quad cores in our desktops next year.

Yea I read about it a while back and that is why I am going to wait on a bit. I plan on getting a power house system to use it for 3D rendering etc because we just got a contract with QVC btw Bigg's. You know what that means Bigg's. hehehe Sweet!