PDA

View Full Version : Problem :[

He Is Legend
06-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Ok So I just got my Windows Xp pro cd today to reformatt, cause I need it more than anything, lol

and when I put the cd in everything comes up fine and im installing and its copying the files and then it restarts..BUT, then it goes to the screen where everything would start to install or getting ready to be installed and this post screen comes up right before the XP logo and says "Cannot boot from cd, code 4" not the EXACT words, but it had those words in their

and I talked to my friend sam and he said something about "do you have the option support for bootable CD-ROM eneabled in your adaptec ScSI controllers BIOS" and i turned it on and I beileve it was under BOOT and right under my CD drive..so I pressed + to move it up so that i wouldnt get the error anymore and then i restarted..same problem :(

does anyone have any idea on how I can install my windows XP pro or somehow or someway to fix this problem?, very sad at the momment :[

smoke
06-27-2006, 12:24 AM
ssdd-:D dont worry-first we need to know-pre built or homemade,laptop?lagit copy of xp pro or burn?i have so many prob with xp pro-lol
first -"take every perifial card out, that you dont need to run the machine"EVERYTHING".while inside check cableing,jumpers on hd,cdrom.
two- you can use a 98 or me startup disk-using fdisk-remove the non dos partition-if xp was installed before.if not delete any primary or secondary partition.reboot and format.reboot again.hit del to enter setup.set to default.find boot priority set cd rom first,save and exit.will bring up windows me startup-choices-start comp with cd rom support.use that.this will fake it into xp setup -it really thinks your useing me or 98.the cd will run.let it go it will ask where to set up windows xp.it should show your hd with me on it.delete it youll have to push d-enter-l then it should go back a screen and show 30000mg or your size hd (raw) highlite setup xp on selected item.f8 to accept.nt or fat 32-doesent matter for gameing or otherwise.i use nt(quick)should install.when it looks for hardware and reboots.hit del load setup defults and immediately take out the cd.or it will try to run again.wait for install screen.it will ask for cd.if it cant install a file skip it.should work. they tried to make it user friendly-by installing a **** load of drivers.and any cards it cant figure out it makes it freeze/error.install these later.if not lagit copy.use given software and immediately turn off auto update.sp2 will crash you.but if you have a new mainboard it may have usb 2.0 and may ask you to dwnload sp2 for driver.dont do it.read mainboard schematics.and get driver from the company who made it.even in error it will run as normal usb 1.0,some older cd roms cant spin it fast enough.$30-wal mart liteon 16x dvd rom-they kick ass.any problems pm me or e-mail me at smoke1972@frontiernet.net:thumbs:

He Is Legend
06-27-2006, 12:35 AM
Well i already have windows xp pro on here, i just wanted to reformatt cause i have so much junk on here i dont use/need

and I built this computer, or home made if you will, also its a Burnt copy of xp pro, Legit key tho

and I dont have a floppy drive, nor me/98 discs..i basically got this computer with just the parts and a motherboard CD..nothing else like a boot disk or anything

Sirc
06-27-2006, 01:46 AM
also its a Burnt copy of xp pro, Legit key tho

Erm, welcome to XP. You can't get away with just a legit key anymore. You've probably flagged both your computer and whoever's computer you got the key from. Microsoft keeps track now.

Write down exactly what the error message is and then Google it.

And Smoke...paragraphs, punctuation, spaces, caps, etc., dude. Yeesh, I didn't even try to read that.

He Is Legend
06-27-2006, 02:23 AM
Erm, welcome to XP. You can't get away with just a legit key anymore. You've probably flagged both your computer and whoever's computer you got the key from. Microsoft keeps track now.

Write down exactly what the error message is and then Google it.

And Smoke...paragraphs, punctuation, spaces, caps, etc., dude. Yeesh, I didn't even try to read that.

I know what your talking about, about the xp thing..but trust me, its a legit cd

It just wont work on mine..and theirs always a way around microsoft

preciate the help tho sircy :thumbs:

Sirc
06-27-2006, 02:31 AM
I know what your talking about, about the xp thing..but trust me, its a legit cd

It just wont work on mine..and theirs always a way around microsoft

preciate the help tho sircy :thumbs:

Seriously, the XP authentication doesn't work like that. You can have a store-bought copy of it and install it in your computer and authenticate it, and it won't even work a second time if you change a bunch of hardware and then try to re-install it on the same computer. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. Part of the process is Microsoft taking a snapshot of your computer setup. If you change it enough then it won't work anymore and you will need to call the service center. I dunno how you got it to work on several people's computers, but I do know you are taking a risk here even saying that you did that. Careful.

Death Engineer
06-27-2006, 03:06 AM
Sirc is partially right. It's called WPA (Windows Product Activation) and it's a real pain in the rear for the pirates, so I hear. But it also affects those of us who use legitimate copies of windows.

Basically, if you change enough of your systems main components (motherboard, hard drive, CPU, etc), it will flag the key and notify the user that you have exceeded the limit on the license and need to buy another copy. Note that this will happen if you try to load and activate/register a single copy of windows on multiple computers too.

For a legitimate retail version of the software, you can call Microsoft and unlock the key again. But if you're using an OEM version, this is where M$ sticks it to ya. In my experience, you can generally talk the first line support people into giving you another key even if you don't legally deserve one.

The part where Sirc is wrong is that the WPA check doesn't happen until windows is completely loaded (rather than on boot at load time). There are ways around the WPA check, but every time M$ releases another "security patch", they fix another way to get around it. It's a never ending game.

Sirc
06-27-2006, 03:51 AM
The part where Sirc is wrong is that the WPA check doesn't happen until windows is completely loaded (rather than on boot at load time).

How does that make me wrong? Either way it won't work without a hack.

I think you and I need to go 1v1 in LT to settle this. Shotties only, no pups. Comon biatch. ;):D:P

Death Engineer
06-27-2006, 05:20 AM
All I was saying was that his problem based on his description is not related to the WPA stuff. His problem is boot related.

And anytime on the LT challenge. I don't know about shotty only though. There's just something about splattering Sirc all over the place with a rocket that makes me feel happy inside. ;)

ME BIGGD01
06-27-2006, 06:48 AM
Ok since I hit the damn button on mouse which made me lose my original post I will just post quick because I am pissed of for doing that.

No CD and Key are connected regardless of oem or retail. There is no unique key to any CD.

Boot your system off the scsi device and configure your cd rom on the scsi device as 0 which is the first boot device on a scsi controller. If you are using a raid ide controller, you need to just boot off that and have drive set for master which needs to be set in bios. AAnother words you will not boot from ide0 or cdrom but boot off scsi pci device..

If you are still having problems
If you are using an IDE raid card just take the cdrom and connect it to your secondary IDE port and go from there. You can always switch back after you install windows. You will need to switch back the boot device to your HD with the os and can do it during first reboot of install of OS. Depending on controller card, you may need to install drivers for your scsi controller by hitting f6 during the first few seconds of cd boot. The bios may know to boot from it but the os will not if it does not see it because you did not install drivers. You will need to have a floppy disk with the drivers on it.

Also MS does not ever require you to need a new key. It is against the law for them to do so if you paid for the product. Honestly though you may have to call them and get someone from India to get the OS activated. I am usually rude to these people and answer their questions very quickly with no details because I feel it's none of their business what you are doing with your os/computer. I could care less if it is stolen or not either because this activation crap usually adds time to any install and does not offer a cure for pirated software. All of MS's tactics are nothing but spyware so screw them. When they ask you how many computers you have the OS installed on ask them to speak clearer. They will repeat and say 1 and nothing more. If they ask you what is the reason for this activation say your company builds a crappy os that attracts viruses and spyware so I need to do this a few times a year. At this point they should be ready to give you the activation code. So what I am trying to tell you is if your OS is legit, tell them to F'off and give you the damn code and stop wasting more of your time.

Caged Anger
06-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Biggs route seems like he's been through it way too many times

Bet it would be funny to be in the room with him when he goes off on one of them :D

I too have been flagged once by the microcrap, had to call their customer support line and talk to one of them. However, ever since then, I can still activate over the net, but I haven't done it in a year because after the last reformat, I saw no improvement.

BobtheCkroach
06-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Biggs route seems like he's been through it way too many times

Bet it would be funny to be in the room with him when he goes off on one of them :D

I too have been flagged once by the microcrap, had to call their customer support line and talk to one of them. However, ever since then, I can still activate over the net, but I haven't done it in a year because after the last reformat, I saw no improvement.

At the lan, he almost gave Goob his 3800 x2 for Goob's Athlon64 machine just so he could take it outside and smash it. And you're right. It was funny.

NastyDawg
06-27-2006, 02:26 PM
At the lan, he almost gave Goob his 3800 x2 for Goob's Athlon64 machine just so he could take it outside and smash it. And you're right. It was funny.

http://www.smileypad.com/v224/Funny/Explode.gif

Goober
06-28-2006, 12:04 AM

Yea......he was working on it and there is almost no room at all in that case for his big ole hands. He got so mad at that machine that I was sure I wasn't taking it back home with me.
Gotta give him credit though, he got it up and running better than it was when I got there.

It was this case right here Antec Aria (http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15130)

Sirc
06-28-2006, 01:45 AM
And anytime on the LT challenge. I don't know about shotty only though. There's just something about splattering Sirc all over the place with a rocket that makes me feel happy inside. ;)

LOL. Actually I am teh rocket whore in LT. That's fine. I was just trying to give you a fair shot at me. :P

Muahahaha! Bring it biatch! :D

Die Hard
06-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Ok since I hit the damn button on mouse which made me lose my original post I will just post quick because I am pissed of for doing that.Funny @ Biggs. You do that all the time man !!

Pure_Evil
06-28-2006, 01:56 PM
:rolleyes: bottom line, you get what you pay for

Death Engineer
06-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Linux is free....

He Is Legend
06-28-2006, 06:03 PM
I got it installed :]]]

Thanks guys for all the help, you all really deserve a medal or plaque or something

<333 Gm

Die Hard
06-28-2006, 09:28 PM
:wub:

SASQUATCH
06-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Well said Biggs. . . Just do what biggs said it should work. . . You shouldn't have to go through all that mabo jumbo bullsh1T. . .