PDA

View Full Version : Superman Returns

SoulReaver
06-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Just saw it today with a couple of friends. Spoilers are "spoiler-ized," so don't highlight them if you haven't seen the movie and plan to.
Things I liked:

Loved Ken Spacey's acting of Lex Luthor. I thought he really nailed it.
You don't need to know anything about Supe to enjoy it. Though, I guess it would help if you did.
I thought Brandon Routhe was a good Superman. I think he nailed the geeky/clumsy-ness.
There were some moments that made me laugh. And yes, I wasn't the only one who did laugh at these moments. Just so that you know that I don't have some sort of weird, morbid humour.
The special effects were impressive I must say. Didn't look fake, unlike some movies where it takes away from the experience.Things I disliked:

While I did say Routhe was a good Superman, he was a bit young. I mean, shouldn't Supe be in his 30's in the movie? He looks in his young 20's.
The kid. You find out that he is Supe's son. The thing is, he was able to kill a man with a piano, but couldn't get himself, Louis, and Richard out of the pantry room when they were stuck.
Looking for an epic, final battle? You won't find one.
The ending kept dragging on. I mean, they didn't have scenes that were useless, but it was just sooo long. Everyone knew what was going to happen. Supe is thought to be dead but turns out to still be alive. Big surprise. So overall, I'd give it 8.5/10. Its probably my 2nd favorite comic book to film adaption. My favorite is hands down Batman Begins.

EXEcution
06-29-2006, 01:50 AM
Nice review Soul. I plan on seeing the film later this week. Even though I tend to stay away from these epic and huge budget films since I usually walk out of the theater dissapointed, I trust that Synger can and did pull this off. X2 was one of the few comic book superhero films that I enjoyed watching after Batman Begins ofc.

SoulReaver
06-29-2006, 01:52 AM
I wasn't really dissapointed, it met around my expectations. I heard that it was good, but not the best, and I thought the same. A couple of more things that were annoying was that Lois Lane also seemed too young and you never really go into deph about what happened during Supe's leave.

BobtheCkroach
06-29-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm going to see this this weekend, and I really hope that it's good like you say, b/c I absolutely hate Superman :P

I grew up a Batman kid. Batman has no super power. He's smart and strong through training. Heroes whose only weaknesses are kryptonite and the inability to sacrifice Lois Lane for the good of his mission suck.

Batman 2, I'm waiting for you!

NastyDawg
06-29-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm going to see this this weekend, and I really hope that it's good like you say, b/c I absolutely hate Superman :P

I grew up a Batman kid. Batman has no super power. He's smart and strong through training. Heroes whose only weaknesses are kryptonite and the inability to sacrifice Lois Lane for the good of his mission suck.

Yeah, let the be-och die and get on with saving some peps, I think this is one I will wait for the video.

BobtheCkroach
06-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Yeah, let the be-och die and get on with saving some peps, I think this is one I will wait for the video.

(Sorry, OT)

Nasty, I notice that you've won 5 graphics events now. First of all, GG. Second, tell show to get off his butt and give you the link to the silver banner!

TheMaster
06-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Did not get a chance to see the film yet. But when I looked at the reviews, the critics gave the film mixed grades. I saw people give the film very high marks, while others thought it should never have hit theaters. I don't really care, I want to go see it anyway. Hopefully we will get to see it this weekend, but my friend has a birthday coming up tomorrow.

DiTomasso
06-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Its not out in the Netherlands next month, going to watch it on IMAX :D

Pure_Evil
06-29-2006, 03:40 PM

Batman 2, I'm waiting for you!Spiderman for teh win! http://bestsmileys.com/superhero/1.gif
Isn't there a history of bad fortune for everyone who's played superman before? :hmmm:

DiTomasso
06-29-2006, 03:45 PM

don't you mean the inability to satisfy lois lane:D

BobtheCkroach
06-29-2006, 04:00 PM
don't you mean the inability to satisfy lois lane:D

Dude! He's the man of STEEL. Guess it doesn't say how long the steel is, though :hmmm:

BobtheCkroach
06-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Spiderman for teh win! http://bestsmileys.com/superhero/1.gif
Isn't there a history of bad fortune for everyone who's played superman before? :hmmm:

Oh come on! He's a whiny little punk! :P

Just kidding, I've loved all the Spider-man movies.

He Is Legend
06-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Dude! He's the man of STEEL. Guess it doesn't say how long the steel is, though :hmmm:

Lois likes the kyrptonite :D

Pure_Evil
06-29-2006, 04:22 PM
HOLLYWOOD, California (Variety) -- With Paul Walker the latest to drop out of the running to play the title role in the new "Superman" movie for Warner Bros. (Josh Hartnett turned it down earlier), a question comes to mind:
Isn't this supposed to be the role actors would die for?
Not if you talk to talent agents. Frequently suspicious, they are rarely superstitious -- and yet, some raise the "Curse of Superman" as a reason the Brett Ratner-directed picture seems to be having trouble finding the Man of Steel.
What is the curse? While everyone knows the misfortune that came to paralyze Christopher Reeve, the nervous breakdown suffered by Margot Kidder and the multiple sclerosis that struck Richard Pryor; many others connected to "Superman" have suffered.
Kirk Alyn played bit parts and minor supporting roles in several low-budget films before getting his big break playing the title role in the 1948 serial "Superman." But after the serial ended, he failed to sustain a film career and retired to Arizona.
George Reeves, who played the role of Superman in a TV series and several movies in the 1950s, was found dead of a single gunshot wound to the head in 1959. The cause of death was listed as suicide, though controversy swirled around the death: Reeves' prints were never found on the gun, and he'd been having an affair with the wife of MGM exec Eddie Mannix.
The first cartoon "Superman" was voiced by Bud Collyer from 1941-43. He went on to have a fine career in TV, creating and hosting the game show "To Tell the Truth." But he returned to the role to voice "The New Adventures of Superman" for CBS in 1966 -- and three years later, he was dead of a circulatory ailment.

He Is Legend
06-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Dean cain was superman, and his career is great.

BobtheCkroach
06-29-2006, 04:26 PM
There's actually a movie starring Ben Afleck being made about the death of the George Reeves guy.

EXEcution
06-30-2006, 12:33 AM
I saw it today. I didn't really enjoy it except for Spacey's acting which was funny and smart.

SoulReaver
06-30-2006, 02:07 AM
I saw it today. I didn't really enjoy it except for Spacey's acting which was funny and smart. Yeah, he was the best. I compared it to other comic book movies and when I did that I thought it was far superior. Fantastic Four and The Hulk were poor. Spider-Man was ok, the 2nd movie ruined it for me.

I just go into movies trying not to think about expectations.

EXEcution
06-30-2006, 02:40 AM
It's all about Batman Begins!! Can't wait for the sequel.

BobtheCkroach
06-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Spacey is the only reason I'm excited about this movie at all. With films like The Usual Suspects and The Life of David Gale, Spacey has become one of my all-time favorite actors, so I expect him to be good.

As far as comparing it to other movies, nothing beats Batman Begins in my mind, but I found The X-Men series to be good overall, and I loved Spider-man 1 and 2. Fantastic Four wasn't that good, but that all depends on where they take the series. It works well as a setup movie, provided that the next film takes off. We'll see.

SoulReaver
06-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Ah, forgot about the X-men series. I liked them too. I found the 3rd to be the best in terms of action but the worse in character development.

BobtheCkroach
06-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Ah, forgot about the X-men series. I liked them too. I found the 3rd to be the best in terms of action but the worse in character development.

Ditto. I personally still like the 1st one the best, but all 3 were pretty good. I didnt' like the 3rd much b/c it strayed so much from the comics (even though I don't know them that well).