PDA

View Full Version : Tip Of The Week

ME BIGGD01
07-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Got a Laptop with a battery that seems not to charge? Think it's dead?

Try putting it into a freezer for one day and then see if it will take a charge.:thumbs: It works most of the time bring it back to life.

Caged Anger
07-07-2006, 01:50 PM
and idea for how long? is this a temp until u get a new battery or is it back for a few months time?

He Is Legend
07-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Got a Laptop with a battery that seems not to charge? Think it's dead?

Try putting it into a freezer for one day and then see if it will take a charge.:thumbs: It works most of the time bring it back to life.

My uncle told me this exact same thing, I thought he was a little crazy in the head

but now that it came from Bigg's mouth, im sure to do it

Thanks biggs :thumbs:

NastyDawg
07-07-2006, 10:57 PM
http://www.smileypad.com/v224/Feelings/Scratch-Head.gif Very interesting.

JIMINATOR
07-07-2006, 11:23 PM
if your harddrive is dead, try sticking it in the freezer first before trashing it....

(Please do not take this serious)

ME BIGGD01
07-08-2006, 12:46 AM
and idea for how long? is this a temp until u get a new battery or is it back for a few months time?

Just put it in over night or leave it there all day. I think you will be very suprised as I was. I probably would not believe it but I took my old batter out of a old laptop I have here that seemed to have died 6-8 months when I got the thing. I wanted to see if this trick worked and it sure did. Ofcourse I would never post something that was rumored or false until I checked it out myself.

Good luck and let us know how ya made out:thumbs:

Caged Anger
07-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Just put it in over night or leave it there all day. I think you will be very suprised as I was. I probably would not believe it but I took my old batter out of a old laptop I have here that seemed to have died 6-8 months when I got the thing. I wanted to see if this trick worked and it sure did. Ofcourse I would never post something that was rumored or false until I checked it out myself.

Good luck and let us know how ya made out:thumbs:

:rofl: Biggs sidesteps my question with skillz unseen before, how long does this trick last you for?

ME BIGGD01
07-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Not a side step but a question I can not answer. It should bring back your battery so I think it should last as long as it is suppose to. I can not guarantee it will work for you but the trick does work for other like myself who have tested it before I posted it. I did not believe it until I tested it. Granted the battery I had tested was considered dead and sitting in the old laptop I do not use anymore (will use it again now for terminal services) and it was the perfect thing to test because I knew I tried many things before when the battery dies years ago.

Now I make these sort of threads just to help out. I do like to hear back from people though to see how they made out. Another words if anyone has tested this and it did or did not work, I would like to know. If it works for you, let us know how long its working for ya and if battery dies again and can not take a charge, retry the freezer again:thumbs: .

OUTLAWS Tip
07-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Not sure I got this straight. But I have an old laptop with a bad battery. I am sticking it in the freezer now. Sunday I charge it and then try?

:confused:

ME BIGGD01
07-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Yes sir, let us know how it works out for ya:thumbs:

Bingo
07-09-2006, 12:25 PM
I was looking to see if I could find the scientific reason for this. I think I know, but anyways. I couldn't find anything explaining the why part, but I did find this 'How to' guide:

Battery Revival

The batteries on laptops are often a problem. Most people sit their laptop on a desk and use AC power, so the battery usually suffers, resulting in a chemical ‘memory’, which gives them a life of about 3 seconds under load. The batteries in my donor laptops were both made in 2000, so I had to try and revive them. If you have any NiCd or NiMH batteries that won’t hold their charge, you can often revive them. This is not a new concept, but here is my recipe for reviving rechargeable batteries:

Discharge the battery as much as you can.
Place in a sealed plastic bag.
Place the bag in your freezer for at least 24hours. Overnight is sometimes enough, but I leave it about a week.
Take the bag out of the freezer and leave the battery to return to room temperature. Make sure you wipe off any condensation from the battery contacts before you use it. I just leave them in the sun for a few hours.
Fully charge the battery, then run it down again, as low as you can get it. Repeat this charge-discharge cycle a few times, and see if you get a longer life.

Your mileage will vary, but two of my 5-year-old batteries are now useful. I get between 2 and 4 hours from one of them, depending on the load on my laptop. You can do this with cellphone batteries, or batteries from lots of other gear.

BobtheCkroach
07-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Not sure I got this straight. But I have an old laptop with a bad battery. I am sticking it in the freezer now. Sunday I charge it and then try?

:confused:

I'm assuming it's just an ambiguous use of a pronoun, but just so we're all clear, tip, - you place only the battery in the freezer - not the entire laptop. :P

BobtheCkroach
07-09-2006, 05:27 PM
You can do this with cellphone batteries

OMG! Gonna do this tonight!

OUTLAWS Tip
07-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Well it didn't work for my battery. It is a very old laptop and the battery has been dead for years. Maybe with a battery that hasn't been dead for so long. LOL

Going to try sticking whole laptop in the Freezer tonight.
Thanks Bob,
:P

JIMINATOR
07-10-2006, 12:56 AM
batteries are made of of layers of different metals, or metallic compounds. for the old batteries the memory effect is when crystals begin building up between the layers. batteries will discharge over time, chemical reactions in general will occur more frequently at higher temperatures, so storing a NiMh battery in the freezer will prolong the charge. For the NiCd batteries, maybe it helps break up the crystal layer some. They do say however if you freeze the batteries to seal them in a plastic bag to prevent moisture from getting in.

BobtheCkroach
07-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Well it didn't work for my battery. It is a very old laptop and the battery has been dead for years. Maybe with a battery that hasn't been dead for so long. LOL

Going to try sticking whole laptop in the Freezer tonight.
Thanks Bob,

Sorry to hear the battery didn't work, Good luck with the laptop :thumbs:

:D:P

OUTLAWS Tip
07-10-2006, 06:19 PM
I put the whole laptop in the freezer and now my desktop is frozen.

J/K, I will remember this trick in the future though with my most current batteries.
:D

ME BIGGD01
07-20-2006, 08:39 PM
batteries are made of of layers of different metals, or metallic compounds. for the old batteries the memory effect is when crystals begin building up between the layers. batteries will discharge over time, chemical reactions in general will occur more frequently at higher temperatures, so storing a NiMh battery in the freezer will prolong the charge. For the NiCd batteries, maybe it helps break up the crystal layer some. They do say however if you freeze the batteries to seal them in a plastic bag to prevent moisture from getting in.

Actually the reason the batteries seem to go dead is because of the layer of medal that starts to warp and ground out. If ever your battery starts to chrysalize or anything, that should be a sign to throw it away.

So if you look inside of the battery the flat band becomes warped and starts to bend. What the freezer does is put starighten out that band and makes it become completely flat again.:thumbs: