PDA

View Full Version : Soon will be testing

ME BIGGD01
07-20-2006, 05:34 AM
HP's XW9300 workstations:thumbs: . I am pretty excited because consulting with this company gives me some pretty cool advabtages such as being an Nvidia Partner which they will be sending me a Quadro fx 4500 card which has 512MB cache. Will be putting together 15 units for Video Editing and production suites for a television station/Studio. It's like being able to test drive a race car beofr e the Indy 500:) . I am loving Hp's units these days and I am most likely going to stop building my own systems because today it just don't seem that worth it. I am going to request 1 of these units for myself for work;) and hopefully the company will do it as a bonus of some sort. I think I am due anyway:thumbs: but I already have a dual opteron nforce 4 pro setup here to my left which I will sell very cheap to get rid of it. As sick as it seems I don't understand why I love having all of this stuff and use maybe 20% of it. I need to have a garage sale to start cleaning up.

MassacreAL
07-20-2006, 09:08 AM
rats, i want something for testing too :P

MassacreAL
07-20-2006, 09:10 AM
but those thing looks a bit more powerful than normal desktop PCs, arent they?

Goober
07-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Garage sale huh.......might be worth the drive. Jill said you had mulitiple piles of stuff in you computer room.

BobtheCkroach
07-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Darn you, biggs! I read "Soon will be testing" and was hoping the text to say "Intel's new Conroe chip" :P

I'm waiting for those test results anxiously! :P

Cool cool with this HP box, though. I'll have to go look into what the specs are.

ME BIGGD01
07-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Darn you, biggs! I read "Soon will be testing" and was hoping the text to say "Intel's new Conroe chip" :P

I'm waiting for those test results anxiously! :P

Cool cool with this HP box, though. I'll have to go look into what the specs are.

Conroe is a desktop chip and only offers a dual core solution where as these HP's are dual dual core. Not only that, as much as the conroe score they do have botttlenecks in the platform which makes it not acceptable for this situation. Many people look at the CPU as being the big deal but with 4 gigs of ran and running raid 5 and fiber network it just does not stand a chance against any Opteron solution. Although it may score well on benchmarks, using it in real world usually offers a but of a difference to what is posted on the web. AAnother note is while I will one day be testing these Conroe chips, no oem is selling them right now. You can not buy them.

BobtheCkroach
07-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Conroe is a desktop chip and only offers a dual core solution where as these HP's are dual dual core. Not only that, as much as the conroe score they do have botttlenecks in the platform which makes it not acceptable for this situation. Many people look at the CPU as being the big deal but with 4 gigs of ran and running raid 5 and fiber network it just does not stand a chance against any Opteron solution. Although it may score well on benchmarks, using it in real world usually offers a but of a difference to what is posted on the web. AAnother note is while I will one day be testing these Conroe chips, no oem is selling them right now. You can not buy them.

I know that they're not out yet, but they will be in 7 days - that's "soon" in my book. :D

ME BIGGD01
07-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Regardless, they are in a different ballpark compared to the Opterons. I also just got word we are going to be using the new quadro fx 5500 which has 1 gig of ram onboard. These cards go for around 3000 bucks and run in SLI.:thumbs:

BobtheCkroach
07-21-2006, 01:31 AM
Regardless, they are in a different ballpark compared to the Opterons. I also just got word we are going to be using the new quadro fx 5500 which has 1 gig of ram onboard. These cards go for around 3000 bucks and run in SLI.:thumbs:

Agreed, but when I read "soon will be testing" I hope for something pertenant (sp?) to me - While I'm sure a "dual dual core" computer is far superior to the Conroe, it's the conroe that I can maybe afford (though w/ amd chips about to drop, it's soo soo hard to choose), so I was hoping to hear about that :P

I'm selfish.

Caged Anger
07-21-2006, 01:56 AM
have HP really picked up their desktop business of late? I always remember HP being the crappy computers in the computer lab...