PDA

View Full Version : If you use AOL, it sucks to be you...

Sirc
08-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Unbelievable:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/08/06/aol-proudly-releases-massive-amounts-of-user-search-data/

Caged Anger
08-08-2006, 03:36 AM
so very sucky...but then again....if you are still using AOL (and paying that much for crap) ....

You had it coming :P

FUS1ON
08-08-2006, 04:06 AM
That is really scary to hear, I don't see how anyone can stand AOL, but there a million of mom and pops using it and now their info is out there for the taking.

Watch the video that they linked to on that page about the guy trying to cancel his account, I could not have been that patient.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIVZ9b0RgmY

Sirc
08-08-2006, 06:14 AM
The funny thing is, a few people have posted on another forum who had gotten the free trial. When they went to cancel it the AOL support person offered them another month free if they stayed with the service, so they said okay, sure. They did this month after month and and one got 7 or 8 months free and the other got almost a year free, lol.

I had AOL back when I was still on dialup, before cable or DSL was available. When I went to cancel they were a bit persistant, but nothing like in the link Shogun posted. I can't tolerate idiots, so I would have asked to speak with a manager almost immediately, and would have not been polite about it. I dun take no shiat from nobody. ;)

Caged Anger
08-08-2006, 12:08 PM
they have been forced to go to the lengths they are because their service is now ranked one of the worst. They are losing clients left and right, especially now that DSL (and even cable in some cases) is almost the same in price.

I've heard some real horror stories about people trying to get off and they won't let them, even charging them outrageous fees to try to get them to stay on

FUS1ON
08-08-2006, 12:19 PM
I've always jokingly referred to them as AOHell, now it appears to be true.

Pure_Evil
08-08-2006, 12:46 PM
nice link shogun, funny ****

NastyDawg
08-08-2006, 12:48 PM
I to had AOL 3 years back, even then they tried everything to keep you with them. If I can remember right they got down to $4.95 a month before they finally gave up and canceled my account. Just another nail in there coffin it sounds like from this article.