PDA

View Full Version : Tom and Jerry Censored :eek:

Caged Anger
08-23-2006, 03:56 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/showbiz/2006/08/22/weeks.uk.tom.jerry.smoking.affl

how dare they desecrate the best cartoons ever made? sheesh, I watched these all the time and never even thought about smoking

Death Engineer
08-23-2006, 04:15 AM
That's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while.

Wiper
08-23-2006, 11:57 AM
And in a few years all the people who smoke will be criminals...

Goober
08-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Let me see if I get this right.
We worry about showing a cat smoking because we are afraid that our children will imitate his actions, but we don't worry that that same child might try to imitate smashing someone with a frying pan, blowing them up or any of the other violent actions shown on this program.......SHEESH!
Get real people....it's a cartoon. Kids imitate their parents and peers.

Edit: I thought this news bulletin was from California, until I heard the accents. Sounded like something that would come from there.

Pure_Evil
08-23-2006, 12:23 PM
yup, cartoon violence is next.

anyone else notice how much freadom we've lost in the Bush adminicastration????:rolleyes:

BobtheCkroach
08-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Eh, Tom and Jerry was some of the crappiest crap that ever crapped cartoons out there anyways. I'd prefer they just take it off the air completely.

Either way, Cartoon violence has been under attack for a long time, and it doesn't surprise me that they've taken it 1 step further. However, while I think this gets blown outta proportion, I won't entirely disagree. Sure, I think kids get it from parents and peers mostly, but I wouldn't be shocked at all to hear stories of a kid getting burned b/c they picked up mommy's cig from the ashtray "because Tom did it." I really don't see this happening except with toddlers. Once they're 8 or 10, they understand that they're not allowed to and it's no longer just b/c a cartoon did it.

In the grand scheme of things, I find this to be rather minor. It's a freakin' kid's cartoon. Censor the heck out of it.

You can't tell me that TV doesn't influence people, though. That's ludicrous (sp?). TV influences fashion, how we talk, how we act - everything. I know for a fact that I hit my brother several times as a child in ways meant to recreate violence that was on TV (not that I regret that in the least :P)

BobtheCkroach
08-23-2006, 01:42 PM
And in a few years all the people who smoke will be criminals...

I got no problem with that at all. If Kevorkian isn't allowed to practice, why should smokers? At least his version was quick, painless and humane.

krazy
08-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Like the one lady. I smoke but not in front of her. But she has caught me and pretends. :hmmm: Her answer was not to quit but to change the cartoons :WTF: These are the people making the rules.

Caged Anger
08-24-2006, 02:18 AM
bob considers these cartoons trash, yet he takes considerable enjoyment out of long rounds of Ut2004 :P

hehe:thumbs:

Nitro
08-24-2006, 02:33 AM
yup, cartoon violence is next.

anyone else notice how much freadom we've lost in the Bush adminicastration????:rolleyes:

http://www.topplebush.com/humor/Cheney_and_Bush_Borg.jpg

The_Omega_Zealot
08-24-2006, 02:39 AM
Bob :O dont forget to jump off that cliff :O TOM AND JERRY IS THE BEST

FUS1ON
08-24-2006, 03:10 AM
I blame it all on the Teletubbies!

Caged Anger
08-24-2006, 03:20 AM
here here

BobtheCkroach
08-24-2006, 02:06 PM
bob considers these cartoons trash, yet he takes considerable enjoyment out of long rounds of Ut2004 :P

hehe:thumbs:

I don't consider the show trash b/c of the content. I never said "trash" at all. I just hated that show as a kid b/c it was boring and hate it 10x worse now that I'm an adult with a fiancee that thinks it's hilarious.

It got old after like...hmmm...1/3 of an episode. It was like looney tunes, except with crappier plots, and no humor other than just beating on each other. I got that from looney tunes, but at least that also had interesting plots and other stuff to laugh about. Tom & Jerry was the same thing every episode.

And for the record,just to show you how much I didn't like T&J...I dont' actually like Looney Tunes very much, either. I much prefered the plot driven shows of my youth to the simplistic cartoons of yesteryear.

Rescue Rangers
Ducktales
Darkwing Duck
Talespin

No cartoon beats those 4 for me. I still watch those when they come on.

BobtheCkroach
08-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Bob :O dont forget to jump off that cliff :O TOM AND JERRY IS THE BEST

If you can't read an opinion of mine and find a better way to disagree than to tell me to die, I'd prefer that you just plain didn't interact with me.

Thanks.

Pure_Evil
08-24-2006, 07:55 PM
LOL @ Nitro... Thanks :D

Goober
08-24-2006, 09:34 PM
If you can't read an opinion of mine and find a better way to disagree than to tell me to die, I'd prefer that you just plain didn't interact with me.

Thanks.

Now he didn't tell you to die....there could have been deep water below that cliff with no sharks or anything.:D

Buzzkill
08-25-2006, 04:44 AM
Does this mean no pipe for Popeye.:rolleyes:

Mad Fox
08-25-2006, 11:50 AM
I blame the whole situation on people with noting better to do.

BobtheCkroach
08-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Now he didn't tell you to die....there could have been deep water below that cliff with no sharks or anything.:D

:rolleyes:

Thanks for keepin' me in perspective, goob :thumbs:

Caged Anger
08-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Does this mean no pipe for Popeye.:rolleyes:

:eek: Not Popeye too!

MassacreAL
08-25-2006, 05:15 PM
should be censorship done by each parent?

and yeah, i like Tom and Jerry, stupid things like that fits to me :P