PDA

View Full Version : This is pretty cool

Bingo
09-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Have any of you seen this game?

It seems pretty freaking wild to me. Encompasses both an on-line world, other websites, real world gatherings and puzzles... all kinda of crazy stuff. The $200,000.00 prize doesn't suck either. :)

http://www.perplexcity.com/

Here's a description:

The premise is simple. An item of great importance to the citizens of Perplex City, the Receda Cube, has been stolen and somehow smuggled to Earth. The leading members of The Perplex City Academy tasked with retrieving the Cube have made contact with a company named Mind Candy and are using them to enlist the help of anyone and everyone on Earth in the hunt. The reward for finding the Cube? $200,000. To publicize their plight, the Perplexians have been working with Mind Candy to release puzzle cards, available both online and at comics/gaming stores. Though these cards will familiarize you with Perplexians and their city (not to mention they're ridiculously fun), the real substance of the game is spread across a series of in-game websites.

Over the course of their investigation so far, Cube Hunters have found a variety of websites, such as sites for Perplexian record companies, newspapers, and personal blogs, each unlocking new mysteries to be investigated and puzzles to be solved. Live events, as well, including a scavenger hunt in London and a puzzle competition in New York City, have already occurred. To give you an idea of the size of the game, the London event ended with a mole escaping by helicopter and Morse code being flashed across the Thames. On a similar scale, one of the tougher puzzle card is being solved via a distributed cracking network (like SETI@home) hosted at www.13thlabour.tk, with over 1500 computers working towards a solution right now.

FUS1ON
09-03-2006, 10:59 PM
I have not, but it sounds kind of interesting and it's way different that the games we are used to.

NastyDawg
09-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Looks interesting, thanks for the info.

SoulReaver
09-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Computer Gaming World talked about it in two of their issues. Seems pretty cool, too much work for me though.