PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous Oxide Powered Lawn Mower

NastyDawg
09-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Sho I found a mower you will kill for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL7wYZWblnU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etecheblog%2Ecom%2Findex%2E php%2Ftech%2Dgadget%2Ftop%2D5%2Dstrangest%2Doutdoo r%2Dgadgets

MassacreAL
09-10-2006, 04:19 PM
dont know, Chuck Norris would do better job...

FUS1ON
09-10-2006, 05:07 PM
That is too funny, I wonder if they can do that to my John Deere lawn tractor? :D

Mad Fox
09-10-2006, 05:36 PM
That was a good one

Xeno
09-10-2006, 08:41 PM
loool, how quickly it can drive??:D

Caged Anger
09-10-2006, 10:19 PM
oooo, i woulda killed for one of those this summer :D

JIMINATOR
09-10-2006, 10:26 PM
eh, no biggie. american chopper once did a bike based on a lawnmower engine. these lawnmowers can cut an entire football field in 13 minutes. they would pwn that sucker.... :D

Sirc
09-10-2006, 11:14 PM
I doubt that they actually fed nitrous to the engine. They didn't really show any plumbing to the carb. I have a feeling it was just for the "venting" effect. I have a 6 1/2 HP commercial Lawnboy, and it could eat a watermelon or a small pine tree just as easily. The muffler they put on it was what made it sound nasty.

I was hoping they had modded a riding lawnmower when I saw this thread. I love watching the clips of riding lawnmower races. :D

FUS1ON
09-11-2006, 12:01 AM
I kind of thought it was bogus too until I hit the website scrolling arcoss the video's screens and found out it is real and was actually featured in the October 2006 Hot Rod magazine.

http://www.callieskustoms.com/CalliesKustoms-Mower.html

NastyDawg
09-11-2006, 12:05 AM
I don't care if it cuts faster or better, just damn cool looking to me.

Sirc
09-11-2006, 02:08 AM
I kind of thought it was bogus too until I hit the website scrolling arcoss the video's screens and found out it is real and was actually featured in the October 2006 Hot Rod magazine.

http://www.callieskustoms.com/CalliesKustoms-Mower.html

Q: Can I put Nitrous on my lawn mower?
A: Yes, we highly recommend it. Nitrous is actually good for engines, it repairs piston rings, and main bearings. It even seals old gaskets, improves gas mileage and is good for the environment : )

That's just stupid. NOS is nitrogen and oxygen. It simply provides more oxygen then normal air does, which allows more gasoline to burn (explode) in the same volume. It does nothing to repair anything. It contains nothing to repair anything. It may improve gas mileage (although I doubt it with proper tuning), but the cost of the NOS would offset any savings. And in a properly tuned engine, the emissions would be the same, so it wouldn't be more environmently friendly than a normal air-breathing engine. As long as you are burning gasoline, the emissions will be the same in an ideal oxygen-gasoline mix. Sorry, but this is all bunk.

EDIT: Actually the emisions are probably worse since more gasoline is being burned to get the extra HP. Same chemistry, different oxygen-bearing molecule, more gasoline being burned per stroke.

EXEcution
09-11-2006, 03:16 AM
EDIT: Actually the emisions are probably worse since more gasoline is being burned to get the extra HP. Same chemistry, different oxygen-bearing molecule, more gasoline being burned per stroke.
I was curious enough to look this up and supposedly "nitrous oxide has 296 times the effect of carbon dioxide". It also contributes to acid rain, go figure.

Sirc
09-11-2006, 03:48 AM
I was curious enough to look this up and supposedly "nitrous oxide has 296 times the effect of carbon dioxide". It also contributes to acid rain, go figure.

I HAVEN'T looked it up, but if nitric acid is the nasty component in acid rain, then that makes sense. Although I doubt NOS is used for anything enough to actually make a measurable difference either way.

For some reason I thought sulphuric acid was the nasty ingredient in acid rain. Sulphur is a by-product of burning coal and other fossil fuels. I'm pretty sure it's sulphur (in the form of sulphuric acid) that is doing things like eating away statues in NYC and stuff.

Do we have a chemist here?