PDA

View Full Version : School Shooting in Penn

Caged Anger
10-07-2006, 03:25 AM
I know this happened a few days ago, but I was just rereading the story again and wondering if anyone else was really bothered by this...

I can't seem to figure it out, I've seen a lot of reports about violence and shooting, ect...this one just struck something inside and really pissed me off

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/06/amish.girls.reut/index.html

FUS1ON
10-07-2006, 03:36 AM
Yeah that guy was really messed up. It's sad that the people of that community have had their lives disrupted they way they have by this. They do not like attention like they have gotten and would rather just to be left alone.

BTW ... it was bumped to the 2nd page so I understand why you did not see it.
http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79571

Pure_Evil
10-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Not realy bothered by it. It's the degeneration of moral values in society. I get calls every day by people wanting the police to raise there kids. The government lost sense of what is needed to properly raise a family and the importance of social values. Responsabilty for ones action has been overtaken by proffit.

Get used to this Caged, because it's going to happen more often, in various forms, and good people will lose more freadom because of it.:down:

Death Engineer
10-07-2006, 02:58 PM
This incident disturbed me in an immense way. Of all the people he chose a group of people that couldn't be less confrontational. Not that anyone should have had to deal with that situation in that way. I do agree that it is a sad picture of the loss of moral value in society.

Nitro
10-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Well, if people weren't such selfish materialistic whores, they'd stay at home to raise your children instead of letting others, like the local gang, do it for you and you just might have some time to volunteer to help others in need, so that there aren't any local gangs. How many school shootings were there in the 1950s? 1960s? 1970s? Hell, there wasn't even gun control then.

Goober
10-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Well, if it makes you feel any better. According to the National School Safety center Violent Crimes in Schools has decreased by 50% since 1994 and School homicides (by students) has decreased by over 60% in the same period.

BobtheCkroach
10-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Well, if it makes you feel any better. According to the National School Safety center Violent Crimes in Schools has decreased by 50% since 1994 and School homicides (by students) has decreased by over 60% in the same period.

How is that measured? If I had to guess, I'd say they're measuring by number of incidents and that stuff like a student fistfighting another to the point of hospitalization counts. I'm not saying that isn't a bad thing, mind you, but it's on a totally different level than school shootings in my mind.

Overall I think it might be down, but the severe ones - that ones where several people die - I think those are way up.

Goober
10-17-2006, 02:25 PM
How is that measured? If I had to guess, I'd say they're measuring by number of incidents and that stuff like a student fistfighting another to the point of hospitalization counts. I'm not saying that isn't a bad thing, mind you, but it's on a totally different level than school shootings in my mind.

Overall I think it might be down, but the severe ones - that ones where several people die - I think those are way up.

This graph shows the actual number of homicides commited by students that occured inside a school, or on school grounds.

BobtheCkroach
10-17-2006, 02:33 PM
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info, Goob. I didn't realize that there's been that much school shooting for so long.

Goober
10-17-2006, 02:50 PM
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info, Goob. I didn't realize that there's been that much school shooting for so long.

Here are some statsusing the FBI's uniform crime report found here
Stats (http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm)
It shows number of incidents per 100,000 people
from 1960-2005
Just so you can have a perspective the rate of homicide in 1960 was 5.1 per 100,000 in 2005 it was 5.6 per 100,000. not that big of an increase.

Rape is way higher than it was in 1960 (9.6/100000)
2005 is 31.7/100000 but it is down from the early 90's when it peaked at 42.8/100000 Overall violent crime is down, which explains why we are horrified when it does happen.

What happened at that Amish school was horrible, and when they forgave the killer and consoled his widow shows that they are a lot stronger spiritually than I am. Our preacher touched on that subject just this past Sunday.

NightBreed
10-17-2006, 04:34 PM
I know this happened a few days ago, but I was just rereading the story again and wondering if anyone else was really bothered by this...

I can't seem to figure it out, I've seen a lot of reports about violence and shooting, ect...this one just struck something inside and really pissed me off

Here's the way I'm looking at this....

The first two girls shot asked to be shot first, in an attempt to spare time or save the lives of their friends.
They have forgiven the killer.
They have invited the killers family to their funeral.
They have asked that part of the 700,000 raised for their situation be given to the killers family.

These people aren't wanting to spend time arguing about what's fair or unfair, finding justice,pointing fingers or even profiting from this horrific event. They accept what they cannot change and go on with life.

There is a lot to be learned from the way they are handling this.

I, for one, admire it and wish I could live my life more like that. :) :thumbs: